Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Two new posts in the last week for those interested.

Review – Tipperary Homegrown Barley

https://onlydrams.wordpress.com/2021/06/21/tipperary-homegrown-barley-whiskey/

An Overview of Cooley Peated Releases

https://onlydrams.wordpress.com/2021/06/25/an-overview-of-cooley-peated-releases/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

Teelings small batch last night, so much going on flavor wise ! To me it would be the dingle gin of whiskey if that makes sense ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    Was gifted a bottle of Liberties 10 Copper Alley last week. First time trying any Liberties stuff. I like it. Vanilla, pepper and Sherry. Very more-ish.

You reminded me of a bottle I'd also received as a gift. If I'd bought it myself it would have been opened same day. Cracked it open last night. I liked it too. Very easy drinking and loads of sherry with a definite pepper kick.

Killowen have batch two of their rum and raisin whiskey for sale at 7pm tonight. They have 30 mini sets of their cuige poitin collection as well. I'll try grab both if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Scuba_tom

Cazale wrote: »
    Killowen have batch two of their rum and raisin whiskey for sale at 7pm tonight. They have 30 mini sets of their cuige poitin collection as well. I'll try grab both if I can.

Thanks for the heads up. Picked up a bottle of the rum and raisin, looking forward to giving it a taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,045 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Scuba_tom wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up. Picked up a bottle of the rum and raisin, looking forward to giving it a taste.

The shop has been down for me?

Where'd you pick it up?

Where'd you pick it up?

Ordered from Irish malts website

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

What's the story with Poitin. Do you drink it neat? Is it more like vodka or gin? What's the profile like?

cloudatlas wrote: »
    What's the story with Poitin. Do you drink it neat? Is it more like vodka or gin? What's the profile like?

I'm drinking some Poitin tonight. Having it neat. It's similar to new make spirit. This one has a very creamy mouthfeel. Coats and sticks to your cheeks. Earthy and grassy notes. Slight hint of strawberry. Bit of smoke and spice. Very long and warm finish. It's gorgeous stuff and a million miles away from the turpentine vibes from poitin of old. 45% abv but the alcohol is in the background.

Where'd you pick it up?

Irish malts still have stock if you select UK delivery on their website- not sure how that would work if you don’t have access to an NI address though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Picked up a bottle (new bottling, not keen on it) of Powers Johns Lane. My God its superb.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

cloudatlas wrote: »

It tastes like ... well... new make spirit. Personally I wouldn't drink it neat if there are alternatives.

In whisky terms if you've enjoyed the likes of Drumshambo, Waterford then it might appeal to you.

Poitin can be fun to use in a negroni in lieu of gin. The Sidecar cocktail bar in the Westbury had this as a staple on their menu.

It tastes like ... well... new make spirit. Personally I wouldn't drink it neat if there are alternatives.

In whisky terms if you've enjoyed the likes of Drumshambo, Waterford then it might appeal to you.

Poitin can be fun to use in a negroni in lieu of gin. The Sidecar cocktail bar in the Westbury had this as a staple on their menu.

I didn't enjoy Waterford Bannow Island 1. I have had new make before but it was 60%, it was very estery, I gave it away to a friend.

Still I like that our small island is growing another niche product.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,572 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Celtic Whiskey Shop have these for sale from 1pm

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭xeresod

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Celtic Whiskey Shop have these for sale from 1pm

Missed out on batch 1 and had no luck last night on Irish Malts, but I checked my email at just the right time to see the email from CWS so it's on it way to me now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

Teeling tasting coming up, seems interesting. Although I'm a sucker for "unreleased cask strength" tastings.

On July 21st at 7pm, join our Master Distiller, Alex Chasko, Head of Operations, Iain Wood and Global Brand Ambassador, Robert Caldwell for Teeling Whiskey’s Not Your Run of the Mill Tasting Event. This special virtual event will allow you the unique opportunity to taste some of our most innovative Teeling Whiskey projects that explore distinctive and unique grains. The whiskeys tasted at this event will be cask strength whiskeys selected straight from casks at the Teeling warehouse. From porter mashbills to crystal rye there will be plenty of unique liquids to discover!

Join Alex, Iain and Robert as we taste five unreleased cask strength whiskeys that you will not be able to try anywhere else. We have been saving these whiskeys for a special occasion, so this is not your run of the mill whiskey event! Join us from the comfort of your own home on July 21st. Tickets are €50 (plus shipping).

https://teelingwhiskey.digitickets.ie/event-tickets/34826

• Registered Users Posts: 19,045 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

xeresod wrote: »
    Missed out on batch 1 and had no luck last night on Irish Malts, but I checked my email at just the right time to see the email from CWS so it's on it way to me now :D

I've been meaning to say it before, but their delivery charge of 7.95 and no collection option is a balls.

Slattsy wrote:
    Picked up a bottle (new bottling, not keen on it) of Powers Johns Lane. My God its superb.

The new bottles suck. I still have three or four old bottles and they are lovely in comparison. Luckily you could put Powers John Lane in a bucket and it would still be nice. Enjoy!

Celtic Whiskey are having a 'Celtic Whiskey Fest'. Details to be announced tomorrow. No idea what it is. Thinking an online festival?

Picked up a bottle of Púca earlier. Really is good value at €25 when you consider the prices these days. I'll put it away with my bottle of Salvado Rum to open eventually.

• Advertisement

Graeme McDowell is launching his own Irish whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Graeme McDowell is launching his own Irish whiskey.

Jaysus, another Conor McGregor effort aimed at the US market I assume.

Celtic Whiskey are having a 'Celtic Whiskey Fest'. Details to be announced tomorrow. No idea what it is. Thinking an online festival?

It's an online festival from 15-28 November. First up is a Redbreast 27 year old deconstruction tasting. On sale now at €95.

What's in the pack?

4 x 30ml

Join us for a deconstruction tasting of the oldest permanent release in the Redbreast family, the 27-Year-Old! This is a Single Pot Still Irish Whiskey comprising exclusively of Pot Still whiskeys which have been triple distilled, matured in the finest bourbon, sherry, and ruby port casks for no less than 27 years, and left untouched. The tasting involves sampling three components (3cl measures) that make up part of the formulation of Redbreast 27 Year old; samples from Bourbon casks, Sherry and Port. The tasting will end with a tasting of the final blend of Redbreast 27 year old, which retails at €495.00 per bottle.

All Celtic Whiskey Fest Tasting Packs will come in new Celtic Whiskey miniature glass bottles (3cl) and bespoke gift boxes making them the perfect gift for any whiskey enthusiast! (Tasting Packs will be delivered closer to the date of the event).

When?

The Zoom tasting will take place on Thursday 18th November at 8pm Co-Hosted by Celtic Whiskey Shop and David McCabe, Blender from Irish Distillers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Justin10

Picked up a bottle of Puca.

Not really impressed, 3 Swallows for 33 instead of 25 is a much better option.

I'll keep tasting but first impression, not really impressed.

Pappy Van Winkle tasting tonight. Six whiskeys from the range. The Old Rip Van Winkle 13 year old was the first official bottle in Ireland and was a stunning Rye Whiskey. The 23 year old was one of the best I've ever tasted. Pity the secondary market is so crazy as I'd love a bottle. Don't think I have a spare €6000 though for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

Pappy Van Winkle tasting tonight. Six whiskeys from the range. The Old Rip Van Winkle 13 year old was the first official bottle in Ireland and was a stunning Rye Whiskey. The 23 year old was one of the best I've ever tasted. Pity the secondary market is so crazy as I'd love a bottle. Don't think I have a spare €6000 though for it!

Yeah, it was an incredible line-up. The 20 was my favourite, 23 a close second. You can see why it has gained it's reputation. Not saying it's worth 6k/bottle but you can see why it is sought after.

Almost hard to enjoy knowing you'll likely never taste them again. Even to buy that tasting pack on the market would be over a grand based on those bottle prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

Blue spot purchased in dutyfree dublin airport €70 appox
    Picture taken in my quarrantine in another part of the world
    I smuggled it into the room as alcohol was not allowed
    I finished off over 14 days it was the nicest single malt I have tasted cant find it anywhere its a rare whiskyhave been to smithfield whisk store they have green spot another colour but no blue think the loop is my only chance next month when i fly again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I'm flying to the UK from Dublin in August.

I gather duty free prices are available for whisky... Trying to figure out whether I'm better off buying in Dublin (and doing collection on my return) or buying on the UK leg heading back.

Am I right in the above, for a start, and has anyone had any experience either way?

Is it just me who feels that all of these tastings are crazy expensive :confused:

• Advertisement

arodabomb wrote:
    Yeah, it was an incredible line-up. The 20 was my favourite, 23 a close second. You can see why it has gained it's reputation. Not saying it's worth 6k/bottle but you can see why it is sought after.

arodabomb wrote:
    Almost hard to enjoy knowing you'll likely never taste them again. Even to buy that tasting pack on the market would be over a grand based on those bottle prices.

Yeah it defo was a once in a lifetime tasting. One of the lads in work did it too but he stopped after the first three. I had planned something similar but they were too nice to put back on the shelf once started. I'd say I could count on one hand the amount of bourbon I've tried over the years so it was a unusual introduction!

Advertisement