Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Right, so possibly less about the whiskey and more about him just deciding he didn't like the cut of your jib, he sounds like a dickhead.

Customer service like this just doesn't fly anymore, people turn on their heel and walk out. And these days you can't really tell by looking at someone who has money and who hasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

I saw that in Tesco & was tempted. Did you get it in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭SteM

Same price in O'Briens too btw.

Changed my Teeling Renaissance III for a bottle of Glenfarclas 15 and an Ardbeg An Oa.

Had to pay a little to make up the difference.

I'm going to do a mini Ardbeg tasting sometime over the winter, I nearly have the entire core range now.

I was gifted this, any comments?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Wailin

I don't ever recall reading anywhere where they claimed the single origin was superior. At least they had the balls to try something innovative and different....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Here

"the definitive expression"

Don't get me wrong I loved the single farm idea. It's this cuvée I find at odds with that idea and is doing what everyone else dose - it isn't different to my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Please name the bar. I want to read these reviews! 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭DeniG2

Picked up a bottle yesterday, will have a taste tonight and report back here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

How do I subscribe to this thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,569 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Easiest way is to tick "Bookmark this discussion" when posting.

There's a chevron icon on top right (desktop) you can click also.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭2011abc

Most 'interesting' new releases now in 70-110 range ,price inflation sickening .Im certainly drinking far less as a result .

On a positive note was in a SuperValu during the week with a 33 euro Slane in my paw as a tech gent worked on the spirits 'cage' security system .He said that he wasnt a big whiskey drinker but that Irish American had blown him away .I wasnt optimistic (have a phobia about american whiskey after Jack Daniels was so bad I never tried another-Teachers had the same effect on my scotch curiosity but fortunately I got over that )I recall at a Whiskey Live event an Irish American whiskey (Five Pointsthe company's name ?) was the only one of dozens I tasted that left a negative impression .Anyway at 44 euro the Irish American Single Malt 10 is a lovely drinker .I reckon the price ( if not the actual bottles !)has sat untouched while others got dearer eg Teeling Single Malt a tenner dearer.Its actually not much inferior to the pre release sample of Dingle 'oaked' element which I thought was the best of the three or four mini samples

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭DeniG2

Okay, I’m on holidays and started early in the day with wine and beer with lunch and dinner so might not be the best judge right now but……

I really like it. Normally I wouldn’t touch white label Bushmills, but I like Black Bush.

This American Oak finish has the quintessential sherry taste of Blackbush but the double charred cask finish gives it an almost Jameson Black barrel taste, which would be one of my favourite Irish whiskeys (they are both quiet similar on the nose too), but the finish isn’t as lasting as Black Barrel. After my first taste I prefer it to Blackbush, it has a bit more going on than just a sherry bomb.

For €30 I don’t think it’s a bad choice at all as a week day sipper. It’ll do fine until the next time Tesco drop Black Barrel from €43 to €30 between now and Christmas

Finishing off a Kilchoman Sanaig tonight.

They have some more expensive expressions, but Machir Bay and Sanaig are their core lower end offerings.

Have to say that I recommend the Machir Bay over the Sanaig, but both are great new-wave Islay offerings.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 EugeC90

I really like the Irish American 10 year old - Irish American have set up a distillery on Achill Island and its definitely worth a visit. They are using sourced stock for there two current releases until there own stock comes of age and have alot of cask variety maturing at the minute. The name is a little confusing and I reckon it was to target the Irish Whiskey market in America as this seems to be there main market. The 10 year old single Malt for €44 is ok value but then again you can get Bushmills 10 for €30 on offer every now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Smurts

Got a notification from the Barrel Club that the first shipment is on its way and the first tasting will be next Thursday, I'm guessing the first full size bottle will be Method and Madness

Decent whiskey sale on in O'Brien's at the minute. I couldn't pass the Roe & Co and Connemara while they're on special. Also picked up a Writers Tears Copper Pot. First time trying any Writers Tears. Liked it - very drinkable. Maybe a tad sweeter than what I'd usually like, but definitely moreish. Made a significant dent in the bottle without realising it 😊 Says it all really.

Recently picked up an Oban 14... Jaysus, that's a lovely drop. Smoky toffee. Lovely stuff. My first Oban, but I'm sure it won't be my last.

During the summer, I picked up a Bunnahabhain 18. Finally got round to trying it and... I'm not sure. It's nice enough, lots of sherry, quite oily. A bit of spice. It doesn't taste special enough to me to justify the price tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I found it very “one note” very sweet. I expected more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Sounds like it’s a bar with whiskey props, rather than a whiskey bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

the staff sound obnoxious but bizarrely, after reading their antics, I kinda wanna visit!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Keep an eye out for his liquidation sale with an attitude like that.

I was in that bar with a colleague a couple of years ago. Definitely a weird vibe, in hindsight I guess maybe they are not fans of southerners? Is that the common denominator. Wouldn’t have expected it in a city centre bar though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,569 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Concerning times for anyone who invested in Mayo's Nephin Whiskey...

A former director of Nephin Whiskey, Mark Quick, has taken a case against the company in the Workplace Relations Commission (WRC). Quick reportedly told The Business Post that he is making a claim of unfair dismissal, but declined to comment any further on the matter. Paul Davis, who is a director and co-founder of Nephin Whiskey along with his wife, Jude, reportedly said that the company will be defending itself fully in the WRC case. Quick, who left the business in February, has reportedly also filed legal proceedings against the Davises in the High Court claiming shareholder oppression.

https://www.hospitalityireland.com/drinks/current-chief-executive-of-dublin-based-alcohol-brand-business-mark-anthony-brands-international-to-leave-company-144965

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Listrydude

has anyone tried the new Waterford Cuvee Single Malt. Got mine and really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭xeresod

Waiting for it to come from James Fox...seems they need to wait for more stock!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Listrydude

That's mad. I ordered mine from Irishmalts on Thursday evening and had it Saturday. Very quick indeed. Though, it's worth the wait, a cracking dram

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Pretty decent Irish Whiskey sale on in O Brien's at the minute. I got Powers 3 Swallows for 33 euro.

I hate how all the Whiskies are behind the tills though, no time to browse. Maybe have a look online and know what you want before you get in, unlike me!!

They should stick some of the spirits behind glass cabinets on the shop floor.

• Advertisement

When I walk into my local O'Briens, the staff there automatically stand to the side of the till so that all the whiskey is visible.

Is that a bad sign?

Advertisement