Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Bought a bottle of Glenfiddich 15 in the Canaries last week (€34). Just had one taste, seems very smooth and sweet - quite similar to Irish. Trying to expand my Scotch collection so hoping to pick something up something different in the duty free when I'm over in England next week. Appears to be a good deal on Ardbeg Uigeadail (€45) which I'm thinking of going for (definitely fancy something big and bold tasting, have this year's Kilkerran which I love but am trying to spare). Any other recommendations on what to look out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭DeniG2

I was not a huge peat fan up to a few months ago, but slowly started working my way up the PPM scale, going from the likes of Benromach -> Bunnahabhain -> Bowmore -> Talisker 10 -> Caol Ila -> Laphroaig -> Ardbeg......

The Laphroaig Quarter Cask blew me away, perfect peatiness (for me anyway) and very smooth. Currently my favourite scotch, just about to put an order in for Laphroaig 10 and Lore as I heard they are very good also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭SteM

Think I might keep it for over Christmas as a treat so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

some nervous about scotch being too peaty? try speyside scotches, much sweeter and not as peat forward.

I agree. For anyone transitioning from Speyside to Islay, I found Benromach to be nice and slightly peated Speyside, to Bunnahabhain which is the least peated of the Islay whiskeys, some might disagree but i found this a nice way to get into peaty Islay after the sweetness of Speysides

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Read about some great deals in duty free on that a while back alright. Seems to be out of stock according to the Gatwick duty free website though. Hopefully that's not too accurate though... Would love to find a cheap Redbreast cask strength too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭2011abc

Anyone tried the ‘Japanese’ inAldi this week? I snapped it up at 29.99 but reading reviews isn’t inspiring .It’s not Japanese whisky at all , just blended inMizunara casks ( in Japan?) .It claims to have exotic notes like orange and ginger . I kept my receipt and haven’t opened it yet ...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,567 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Was discussed 'theoretically' a few pages back that it seems to be scotch matured in Japan alright.

Waiting for some adventurous soul to sample a bottle...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

So I opened the Aldi ‘Japanese’ .( Surprise!) It’s different .Might be getting a bit of spicy cinnamon but no orange and precious little ginger .Light (grainy?) mouth feel .Not dreadful .... but the checkout girl joked that it might taste of sushi and I’m damned if I’m not getting something fishy / marine from it ! I’d avoid unless a curious tippler ...Def not for the Sherry bomb lover ...4 -5 out of 10 ? Meh ...I’m prob not in the most receptive mood . I wouldn’t say it’s almost undrinkable like the Lidl Margot 3 year old ( although some swear that’s getting a lot better lately ) but I’m by no means blown away ....It has tiny traces of brilliance trying to sneak out I suspect from behind a built to a budget facade .

Literally only two other sites worldwide mentioning this with comments .Released under 48 hours ago .

It’s a sipper for sure and neither a daily nor one you will embrace but there might just ( I’m washing my mouth out with it as I type !) be the tiniest hint of JJ Corey The Gael or Barry Crockett in there .One reviewer on the Aldi site said it was like cheap gin .Another intriguingly suggested it could be ‘overflow’ from an actual Japanese distillery but then they’d hardly call it ‘world whisky’ in the small print so .

Oooh and I just got the orange ( marmaladey!)

Had a wee drop of my Bush Caribbean for comparative purposes and its def the better of the two to my mind . ( and I only paid 26 for that )

...still maybe Islay fans might dig it as a budget cul de sac

• Advertisement

Looks like I was that adventurous soul Ody 06 ! Actually as a50/50 blend the Aldi fake Japanese and Bush Carib go grand together with a few grapes but I’d sooner go for the safe bet of a Slane or a Tesco Finest Irish SM for an extra fiver ( or play it safe with a Bush white or black for a fiver less)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Is the Tesco single malt decent

Its nice, 12 yo quality but I found it a bit 'woody' in the aftertaste. Its from West Cork I think but am.guessing not their stock originally.

Its about 35e so Sexton or Teeling Small Batch or Lambay SB or Irishman Founders I'd prefer just on personal taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭FlicFlak

I think its delicious. If you had the Aldi 12 year old SM they release a couple of years ago, then this is pretty much identical. Its Bushmills juice, West Cork probably bought a load of casks. Very fruity, loads of orchard fruits and strawberries. Definitely worth the 35 quid in my opinion, cause ive bought a few and drank them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭janiejones

I bought the Waterford cuvee. I kept joking to friends I'd fallen for the marketing (which is top notch but also feels a bit bullshitty). It's unreal.

I had 2 drops past night and 2 tonight. It has such a great nose. 50% it burns a little but I haven't added water yet. There's a creamy fruitiness to it. I got the slightest hint of fish last night which I'm gonna politely call sea saltiness. Didn't get that note tonight.

At 75 I'd say it was cheeky but so far it's my joint favourite Irish with the greenspot leoville. Beating back the redbreast and redbreast lustau.

I was really tempted by the single origin Waterfords but never followed through because I couldn't decide which one to get

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

'Cheap Gin'! Right. well, ill save me 30 euro so...

Of the single origin Waterford releases, I think the Ratheadon was the one that got the most favourable reviews on this thread iirc

I was disappointed with some of them but that was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I had the Aldi Japanese whiskey last night. Unusually, it immediately just reminded me of gin on the nose.

On the palette, it was orange peel that stood out for me. Not terribly complex at all. Light in colour. Not bad for €30, but doesn't seem like the bargain some people think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Anyone tried the Redbreast PX yet? It's quite pricey accross the water here circa £71

Had a few of the Aldi Japanese whiskey last night also and like others I wasn’t overly impressed, it’s okay, as someone said it’s a bit marmalade(y). It’ll come in handy when I want something different to what’s currently on the shelf

• Advertisement

haven’t made whiskey sours before but want to try, has anyone a good recommendation for bitters and where they can be bought, thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Angostura Bitters are the classic choice and you can get them in Supervalu, Tesco, most decent off licences. If you want to expand you could then look at some of the different flavours like orange, peach, chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,947 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

As an alternative take...

3 parts whiskey

2 parts lemon juice

1 part maple syrup

Shake over ice and strain. (I found a travel coffee mug worked perfectly for this!)

Thank me later ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

^^^

Sounds good. I sometimes treat myself to Talisker, Angostura Bitter, Lemon Juice and Eggwhite with a slice of lemon with a tiny bit of sugar syrup. The brine and the lemon mamma mia

• Registered Users Posts: 10,947 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

That does sound great too.

The lemon and maple syrup one I just looked up after pancake day as I had them leftover. Not a proper bitter, of course, but for something so simple it's really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Drinking some Redbreast 12 tonight. Going down well. Not many whiskeys would better it.

Another 12 year old Irish whiskey but it's night and day compared to the Redbreast. Got this one as a present and I've been tipping away at it but it's not one I have warmed to. 12 year old Bushmills stock but tastes more like 3-4 year old. Wouldn't recommend unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,703 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is there a camera effect there or is it actually that light in colour?

Obviously no caramel if so but that seems very light for a 12 regardless.

Picking up cheap-for-a-reason casks may be part of that.

That's the exact colour. Almost a white wine hue to it. Such a pity as a relative got it for me for my birthday and could have got the Redbreast 12 for £20 cheaper. I've divided the last bit of the bottle up into 50ml samples for a few whiskey buddies just to get rid of it!

• Advertisement

Irish Whiskey Society 12 year old tasting next week. Always a pleasure to try some old Bow street liquid.

Advertisement