Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Dunvilles 12 Year Old PX Cask Strength - Winner of Best Cask Strength Whiskey

Celtic Cask 35 - Winner of The Best Single Cask

The Irishman 17 Year Old Single Malt - Winner of Best Single Malt 16 Years and Over

Gelston's 15 Year Old Sherry Cask Finish Single Malt - Winner of Best Irish Single Malt Aged 12 – 15 Years

The Irishman Single Malt Marsala Cask Finish - Winner of Best Single Malt 11 Years and Under

Powers Johns Lane Winner of Best Single Pot Still 12 Years

Teeling 13 Year Old Single Grain - Winner of Best Single Grain

Method & Madness Single Pot Still French Chestnut  - Winner of Best Single Pot Still 11 and Under

Writers Tears Inniskillen Icewine Finish - Winner of Best Blended Whiskey Limited Release

Jameson Black Barrell - Winner of Best Blended Whiskey No Age Statement

Jameson Bow Street 18 Year Old - Winner of Best Blended Whiskey with Age Statement

Shortcross Single Malt - Winner of Best New Irish Whiskey

The results so far. What do folks think? Obviously the Jameson Black Barrell and Power's is where the value is at but anything else stand out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Going to be controversial here and say I think Powers John lane is overpriced and underwhelming. As is yellow spot.

Will be buying a bottle of Teeling 13 year old for Christmas. Looks interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

• Advertisement

On the plus side with the cost of fuel being so high at the moment I’d probably have spent close to €8 getting to the shop, buying the whiskey and driving home.

And it’s always nice to have a present delivered to ya.

Justification. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,480 ✭✭✭dobman88

So it's just 50% black barrel. No real difference in taste but you definitely feel the kick, warm feeling and aftertaste. I'm a fan of black barrel anyway so I'll enjoy it but I see no reason to buy another bottle and I'll just continue to buy the regular stuff. Happy to sip away on this now during the winter evenings though.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭DeniG2

Thanks.

Given your whiskey knowledge, I think I'll print out your compliment and frame it 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

Hi all, hoping someone can help me here. I follow this thread every so often to be in the know for whiskey presents for the OH! Thanks! Just saw an email from Jameson about entering a ballot for their rare 21 bottle. Ive entered it anyway as no cost or anything, but if I got an email form them, would this be a worthy Christmas present for husband would you think? Its €310.00! thanks a mill

If my wife handed me that at Christmas I'd assume it was for Christmas, next birthday and our anniversary.

So yes, he would be delighted with it. Lucky guy to have ya.

• Advertisement

cheers dobman! Well, it will be for Christmas and anniversary for sure! we would generally spend roughly this amount each year but this would obviously be one big pressie instead! Do you think it is worth this price for what it is? I suppose Im wondering if Im going to spend that kind of amount could I spend it on a different bottle anyway or is this as rare as theyre saying? thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

Been wanting to get into whiskey for a while (bar using them as a mixer).

I am home for Xmas and want to bring a mix back with me (I live in Sweden and alcohol is insanely priced). As a starter pack to bring back, what are the opinions on below. I enjoy a bit of sweetness and and oak like taste when it comes to wine so trying to replicate some bit with the below options. I have tried the Method and Madness before and really liked it and recommend the Bushmills from a friend in the industry. I was drinking this Glenlivet at the weekend at a friends house https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/glenlivet-21-year-old . Had I had known it was so expensive I would not have asked for a second shot of it, but it was really good.

Or should I just start start with the winners listed by @cloudatlas above?

Apologies if this is not the right forum to ask, will start a new thread if needed.

Thanks,

PHG

Someone more knowledgeable than me can answer in more detail as I've never tried the MVR. I've only tried the Barry Crockett which I loved.

But personally, I'd be delighted. As for is it worth it? As a once off, I'd make an allowance for it. If hes a whiskey drinker, he will love it and appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭2011abc

PHG thats a grand selection at ok prices .Hard to beat if youre chosing from duty free and a even slightly limited selection .Teeling Single Malt worth finding too(swap the Method and Madness for it maybe?)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,947 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I agree

Just looked and that J21 certainly looks the part, I'd think it was a great present if I got that!

As for worth? Very hard to say. Realistically it's probably overpriced based on its limited-ness, but you're kind of buying that prestige too in a way. I would go for it if you come out of the ballot! 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 29,564 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

@PHG

If you liked the Glenlivet 21, this is a nice set of the Glenlivet 12 with glasses. Better off sticking with the Glenlivet 12 than the cheaper no aged statement Glenlivet Founders Reserve.

You will probably like sherry cask influenced whiskeys, so Bushmills 10 (regular one is about 40-45) or cheaper options such as Black Bush or Jameson Crested might be worth checking out.

Keep an eye out for the Midleton Pot Still sampler set in Dunnes and O'Briens.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I think the Glenlivet Illicit Still is a nicer version if they can find that.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Listrydude

Some very nice whiskeys coming over the next few weeks from WD O'Connell. Particularly excited by the PX19.....

From their Blurb:

Releasing November 19

• Bill Phil, Batch 05
      • ​RRP: € 69.95
      • 700 ml
      • 47.5% ABV
    • Single Grain Series - Bourbon & Rye Batch 04
      • ​RRP: € 69.95
      • 700 ml
      • 48% ABV

Releasing December 4

• Single Cask Series - 13 Year All-Sherry Single Malt
      • RRP: € 139.95
      • 500 ml
      • 59% ABV
    • Single Cask Series - Single Pot Still
      • RRP: € 79.95
      • 700 ml
      • 49% ABV
    • Single Cask Series - PX 19 
      • RRP: € 159.95
      • 700 ml
      • 46% ABV

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Will swap out the Method and Madness if I can. Living in Sweden there is not an amazing selection but will be in the UK soon and Heathrow has a large selection now tax free. As said in home for a few weeks over Xmas so will put any of the above I can’t find in Heathrow in order in the Celtic Whiskey store. Does Dunnes do good value from time to time or better ordering online?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I'm assuming he is a whiskey fan, but one thing I would just check is ... Does he actually like Jameson and / or Irish whiskey?

It's a very generous present and I'm sure he will make the rights noises when he gets it, but (for example), if he's actually a fan of peaty Scottch whisky, then he might prefer if you bought him something in that vein.

Best way to check is if he has an existing collection see what the trend is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I hope this question isn't off-topic.

Puca and Wicklow whiskies in ALDI were mentioned earlier, and it appears that they, and many other whiskies, are distilled by a different firm, and then subsequently sold to the final blending / selling firm.

My questions are as follows:

(1) do distilleries deliberately distill more than they could ever sell?

(2) from day 1, do they intend to sell the unfinished whiskey wholesale in the future?

(3) it appears that there is a wholesale market in bulk whiskey, unfinished, at various ages?

(4) do distillers ever feel like not selling, as their customer will be their future competitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Well, you have the likes of Great Northern who really have no great intention afaik to release any of their own brands but are more like a distillery producing Irish whiskey for the wholesale market. They will produce to order - they are big and have a lot of stock and capacity. One way or another, a distillery has to, someday, sell what it had made, whether wholesale product or in bulk. Traditionally IDL made all of Bushmill's grain components and Bushmills made all of IDL's malt. This may have changed now. MY point being that there has always been a lot of bulk whiskey knocking around. IDL and Cooley produced a lot of liquid for third party brands in the past but, I'm lead to believe that they a letting less and less stock out to third parties, these days. West Cork seem to make a lot of liquid for others.

I can't really answer questions on behalf of any other distiller relating to what their plans or intentions are/were.

There is a huge market in bulk Irish whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭DeniG2

For anyone that’s interested…….

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

€30 Talisker in Tesco in the run up to Christmas is practically a tradition at this stage!

Let's hope MUP doesn't put the kibosh on it...

Thanks for this reply, this is what Im wondering about! Yes he is a big whiskey fan, though he prefers scotch generally, and likes sherry casked whiskey, that much I know! He does like Jameson and would always have a few different bottles in the collection. Yes I could just buy him a nice bottle of a rare scotch, thats why I wondered would you more learned people on here think that this particular Jameson was worth it? thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 16,714 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Picked up a bottle of Jameson Caskmate Stout today. Have had a little taste, fantastic value at €25 IMO. There's a nutty yet quite sweet flavour to it. Look forward to sampling it properly in the coming weeks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

If he has a couple of Jameson bottles in his collection then yeah, maybe enter anyway… You only have until this evening as you probably know.

”Worth” is hard to establish but generally if you have to enter a ballot / draw to have a chance of purchase then you could flip the bottle afterwards for more. Not that relevant if he’s going to drink it though.

For under 310 in Scotch and a Sherry finish I would actually spend less and get a really good Glenfarclas. Classic, family owned, they’re great. You could get a 21 or 25 year old for 120-150 euro. Personally I would take one over any Jameson all day.

great advice thanks. Ill see if I get an email from Jameson anyway but I think he'd like the scotch more! will have a look, many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

O'Briens have the Redbreast 12 birdfeeder for 67 euro - more than the regular bottle, but it could make a nice gift for someone who appreciates Redbreast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭SteM

I doubt that very much. That means you're have to pour with the birdcage on the bottle which doesn't make any sense.

Advertisement