Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,715 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

What do you like normally? I'm sure someone could give you some pointers based on that

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

Hi I want to buy a bottle as part of a cris crindle present for a whisky lover. I don't know what types he prefers. Can anyone make a recommendation? About €50 or €60.

O Briens have red breast 12 for €55, might go with that depending on what you guys think

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

If you wanna spend the 55 its a nice whiskey. I would also recommend green spot, powers 3 swallows, teeling single malt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

I wasn't keen on Blue Spot at all. Nothing to write home about. No contest vs Redbreast Cask Strength for me.

That said, Blue Spot is very hard to get, so if you have the opportunity to buy one, maybe you should just try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Listrydude

Still a few available here on Mitchell's website. Worth getting a bottle at least as they won't be as easy to find

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

RB CS, 15 or Lustau as a Christmas present to myself? ?

12 is my go-to, love it and 21 for special occasions!

from most posts I assume CS is the way to go?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

The 15 is not a massive step up from the 12, I would go CS or possibly if you've had the Lustau and enjoyed it then that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Three Drams offering 50% off the first month if you signup and use the coupon code BLACKFRIDAY.

Three 30ml whiskey samples and a tasting journal for less than €14 delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Teeling small batch 33eur in Dunnes.

38euro but a fiver off with the saver deal. Teelings my favourite distillery, love the single grain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭2011abc

I picked up a basic Bush( just solid stuff you can’t go wrong with , no out of the ordinary peat or smoke hints which can occasionally pop up in there on the odd bottling )for 20 in local Eurospar but with December immmemt I thought something a bit nicer was called for .Just back from SuperValu with two bottles of Irish American 10 @44 euro each.Had this before and loved it but a bit of a disappointment . The label in shop on shelf said Single Malt and one of the bottles in shop may have but the two apparently almost identically labeled bottles I took home say ‘Irish Whiskey’not Single Malt . I can only assume they have pulled a fast one here and are ‘watering down’ the malt with cheaper grain (or pot still ?).

Its still a grand drop with as good an ‘ex Bourbon Oak ‘ zing as you’ll get at just about any two figure price but tastes a bit as you’d expect under the circumstances .Less malty throat bite .A bit ‘diluted ‘ .Not too disappointed but might have sprung the extra €6 for a Teeling SM if I’d known ( or might not have ...)

EDIT Got a reply from an enquiry about this saying their fourth batch of their 10 is a blend with a high malt content .

Post edited by 2011abc on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Giggernaut

A wee bit off topic but would anyone have a whiskey glass recommendation and where to buy. Thanks G

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

Yes. A glass with a hole in the top and not in the bottom ! More seriously, it depends.......ice ....mixer ....water.

For a neat whiskey glass, there is a glencairn . A quick google is worthwhile because a lot of distillery shops shops have their own branded ones. They are about 8 euro.

There is also an Irish Tuath glass...again google.

I use a sherry copita style glass for the rare times I drink whiskey.....I inhale more than I drink ( whiskey and me have a bad history). Midleton and Bushmills use these for tasting in their diistilleries.

Where are U based?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Giggernaut

First part is sage advice and thank you for the breakdown. I'm based in Dublin.

Always liked a heavy bottom glass but don't want to derail the main purpose of the thread. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 29,567 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

With Christmas coming you might be able to pick up a whiskey bottle with free glasses set. The Teeling, Bushmills and Tullamore Dew sets have classic whiskey tumblers.

The Jameson set has a highball glass more for long mixed drink.

Sometimes in charity shops you can pick up interesting - sometimes branded - whiskey / spirits glasses on the cheap. You will know what you want when you see it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

O'Briens have Jameson Caskmate stout for 25. Is this a good whiskey ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Certainly a good whiskey for that price. I haven't tasted it in a few years but I remember liking it and thinking it was well priced.

A bottle of Redbreast 12 from the 1920s sold last night on Irish Whiskey Auctions for €26.5k. Nice piece of Irish whiskey history.

https://irishwhiskeyauctions.ie/views/product.php?id=65599206

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Had the Cotswolds single malt with the 2017 barley date last night. Was really suprised how good it was for such a young whiskey, and the colour as well...it had a ginger spice up front (sensation not flavour) and reminded me of the Deanston and it was very marmaladey and almondey with a big hit of those old barley sugar sweets. Lovely stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

• Registered Users Posts: 10,947 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

The visitor centre at Midleton is getting a facelift...

The Devil's Keep

€10,000 a bottle

Tonight I'm trying the most expensive Irish Whiskey ever sold. The world's most expensive debut whiskey release ever. The first bottle of which sold at auction for $60,000. A bottle who's fancy box contains amongst other things a gold-plated pipette and a atomizer containing perfume made from the 'essence of the whiskey'.

What a load of nonsense. This is a 29 year old sourced whiskey. The source of which isn't disclosed but it's Bushmills. A single malt which has been triple distilled and triple casked in American Oak casks, French oak barrels that previously contained Tawny Port and then finished in virgin Hungarian oak.

Teeling have a series of Bushmills sourced whiskey of a similar vintage except it's double distilled instead of triple. I have samples of both the 28 and 29 year old. I'll try the 28 year old soon which was a relative bargain at only €500 a bottle.

The Devil's Keep has won a number of awards but for it's design and not it's liquid. I scoured the web for reviews of the whiskey itself but didn't find any. I'll give it my best shot.

The nose is rich with dark fruits, red berries and dark chocolate. Sweet caramel and vanilla on the palate. Black forest gateau components of dark cherries and chocolate. The whiskey clings to the mouth to give a long and dry finish.

This is a decent whiskey. I especially liked the nose which maybe the palate didn't quite live up to. Where it's let down is in its pricing and the ridiculousness around it. I'm trying this as the missus watches Selling Sunset on Netflix. All noise and fakeness. This whiskey would fit in well on one of their shelves and at €10,000 a bottle the Devil can keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Scuba_tom

I suspect the market for that is the same as the “restaurant” in London where they wrap steaks in gold and prance around bouncing salt off their elbow into your food….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

Cheapest I can find.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,715 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

€500 for a 35mL sample... really?!?!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

The Craft Whiskey Company released this and they guy who runs it is definitely an über promoter. He may be legit, but I think it has been shared here before that there are questions Bill Linnane raised about a possible shady past.

https://tripledistilled.blog/2020/06/06/james-bradley-whiskey-wealth-club-and-other-peoples-money/

Redbreast 21 tonight. Produced in very limited quantity from approx 50-60 barrels a year. Launched in 2013 it contains three distillate types with the oldest whiskey used in the blend being 35 years. Tropical fruits in abundance on the nose with dark fruits, sherry, vanilla, spices and caramel on the palate. A smooth and creamy mouthfeel that's full of balance. Expertly blended this is a stunning whiskey.

Midleton have consistently produced the best whiskey in Ireland and have successfully introduced some great whiskeys over the last decade or so. This is up there with the best of those and holds it own with the best from anywhere else.

Up next for me is some Teeling 13 year old Grain tomorrow night. On Thursday I'll be trying amongst others some Green Spot from the 1990s and an original 2005 La Maison du Whiskey 50th Anniversary Redbreast which was the first sighting of Redbreast 15.

Even if he is Ireland's Worst Journalist its hard to argue against Bill here. Whilst looking for info on the Devil's Keep I found no reviews of the whiskey but I found some comments of hard sales tactics. Don't know how true that is but it fits the profile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Isn't most of the whiskey barrel investment thing a bit of a scam? Promising massive returns, which will turn out to be totally false. And you don't even own the whiskey, even after you've handed over your money.

Has anyone actually come out to say they've made a lot of money from it?

Advertisement