Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I had full bottles of both and they're pretty pedestrian, to be honest. The Montelena is usually considered the better of the two.

Jim Murray's 2022 whiskey bible showed up on my doorstep a few days ago.

It's hard to discuss Murray's reviews and his whiskies of the year because the very fact of the publication of this book is probably more comment-worthy... Considering the annus horribilis Murray had last year, when Becky Paskin wrote an article many have characterised as a 'hit piece' intended to completely cancel Murray.

I won't revisit that whole debacle, other than to note that until I received this whiskey bible I was somehow unaware that there was a piece published in the Times which called into question whether Paskin was a bit of a hypocrite . The writer found a number of instances in Paskin's own career where she used pretty sexualised language, and where she promoted products that I think most people would consider pretty 'sexist'.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/woke-whisky-critic-accused-of-hypocrisy-pljgfpbmj

It's kind of remarkable, because it seems to be me to be a pretty significant twist in this story, but this piece seems to have sank like a stone.

Anyway, for those interested, Murray has a few pages devoted to this whole scandal in the Bible, I'm kind of glad he didn't take "the high road", he very much went in for a bit of score-settling with all and sundry.

Hopefully this sells well enough that we get a Bible in 2023.

It does appear like he 'cleaned up' his language, if that matters.

Glenfarclas 15 tonight.

15 year olds always puzzle me, they’re a bit meh usually. Pricier than a 10-12 Y.O for sometimes negligible difference and usually the poor cousin to the flagship offerings in any core range.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I think it just shows up the sham of a business he's running, when he isn't bothered getting photos of the actual distillery he's sourcing from.

And even if he did source the image from an image bank, unless Dingle Distillery signed a property release form, who ever took the photograph, doesn't have the rights to licence it for commercial use like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Redbreast 15 La Maison du Whisky (46%)

Redbreast is probably my favourite Irish whiskey with a winning combination of Pot Still and Sherry that is hard to beat. It’s a brand that has grown from strength to strength in the last 15 years but it wasn’t always that way with Redbreast almost disappearing for good in the 1980s. What a loss to Irish whiskey that would have been!

Irish Distillers took over the brand from Gilbey’s and in 1991 relaunched Redbreast 12 to great acclaim. In 2005 a once-off 15 year old version of Redbreast was produced for La Maison du Whisky as part of their 50th Anniversary celebrations in Paris. Becoming a sought after bottling by collectors it was soon introduced as a regular release and the following year it won the coveted Irish Whiskey of the year.

Tonight I’m trying that original once-off Redbreast 15 La Maison du Whisky (LMDW). Midleton have a number of pot still distillate types with different characteristics. Trad Pot Still Distillate is oily and creamy, Mod Pot Still is creamy and fruity and Light Pot Still is full bodied. Redbreast 15 (LMDW) is a Trad Pot Still Distillate.

A stunning nose up there with the best I’ve found from a Redbreast release. Peaches in abundance with more tropical fruits in the background. Orange peel, blackcurrants and wood spice. As stated this distillate is oily and creamy. White pepper on the finish. An older style of pot still with a slight leather mustiness to it.

The current Redbreast 15 is not a whiskey I’m overly familiar with and I think it has been overshadowed by the similarly priced Redbreast 12 Cask Strength which for me is one of the best Irish whiskeys available. I do have a sample that I will try soon as a comparison.

I tried an older Green Spot recently and that was a different beast to the more modern Pot Still. The Redbreast 15 (LMDW) has more in common with that than the current Redbreast 15 I would imagine.

This is a gem of a whiskey and one I would highly recommend to seek out although expect to pay up to €300 for a bottle at auction.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reminder. Ordered from Amazon. As discussed before I never found any sexism worth noting in my 2019 issue of his book. A complete hatchet job from Paskin. A quick glance at her Twitter will show she's quick to throw the sexist card when anybody disagrees with her. A chip on her shoulder about everything and anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The photo is the property of the photographer. It seems to be used everywhere so it looks like it’s commercially licensable. If Dingkebwere paid for that they have less to complain about imo.

It’s absolutely lazy and sloppy from the company. (I remember their model was slatted here originally). But I don’t think it’s the massive deception that they are making out. I doubt many people recognised the generic distillery image as Dingle.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

You’re probably right in what you say, but still, whether deserved or not it was still nice to those sharks take some heat

Just got the full list of what whiskeys were in my CWS pack as a first time judge in the Irish Whiskey Awards. I was curious to see how my tastes and judging stack up when tasting blind. Turns out I’m pants at this.😲

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

Where did you get this? Was assuming they'd send it out but haven't seen anything yet.

• Advertisement

That’s it from Cazale. Thought they were going to send it out too, but i had to ask them for it.

Celtic Whiskey have a Spot tasting coming up. €40 for six samples which I think is great value. I'd do it myself but I have bottles or samples of the Green, Yellow, Red and Blue.

Join us for a full deep dive into the Spot range from Irish Distillers on Thursday the 13th of January 2022. These whiskies have always been fan favourites and now is the perfect opportunity to sample the entire collection side by side.

We will be guided by Ger Garland, whiskey ambassador for Irish Distillers and a member of the Celtic Whiskey Team as we taste six different samples of the multi award winning Spot range. This tasting will include Green Spot, Green Spot Chateau Montelena, Green Spot Leoville Barton, Yellow Spot 12 Year-Old, Blue Spot 7 Year-Old Cask Strength and Red Spot 15 Year-Old. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Have some Bunnahabhain Móine arrived in the post there. Looking forward to trying a peaty version of their produce!

I had some of that earlier in the year. I remember it being decent.

Did the father in law up a load of samples for Christmas. He enjoys a whiskey but wouldn't have tried many of these. Going to compile and print out tasting notes so he can compare as he drinks them.

The step father in law is the one who drinks the cheapest whiskey he can find and who threw out my Ardbeg. No samples for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,564 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

For the step FIL you could always try to get one over by filling an expensive branded bottle with something like Ardfallen or LIDL West Cork offering ... see how that goes down :)

You can use nail varnish to reseal the bottle, at least according to the sitcom plot of Cabin pressure (the plot revolves around talisker whisky being replaced by cheap bottles)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

Guys, has anyone tried the Black Barrell 50%

Is it better tham Greenspot at the same pricepoint?

I would say yes, but I like a higher abv / hotter drink.

At regular abv the Green Spot has the more classic credentials.

• Advertisement

What do people think of the new Bushmills look? Not as drastic as the Powers bottles but a departure nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,564 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Seems to be change for changes sake.

The Powers rebrand had a purpose in mind in terms of standing out in back bar.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Scuba_tom

Not a fan. I know it’s all about the liquid inside but I thought the old branding looked better.

If they were going to do anything with them I’d have preferred if they had upped the ABV….

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭DeniG2

The first thing I noticed when I opened it was the new varnished wooden cork, which I liked 🧐

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

It's the photographers property alright, but he still can't license it for commercial use without the permission of the distillery in question.

The distillery may have allowed it, or they may not. That's not to say someone can't upload the image to an image bank, and make money from it. They probably aren't aware of the legalities, and also didn't read the terms and conditions when they submitted the image for use.

It's the photographers property alright, but he still can't license it for commercial use without the permission of the distillery in question.

Im aware. If you scroll down on the Twitter thread you seen a screenshot of it used on maybe many pages. So it’s possible that they signed a commercial use license for the photographer. It’s also possible that he just submitted it to a stick image bank and lied. But their gripe appears to be that this company used it, not that it was being used generally.

They probably aren't aware of the legalities, and also didn't read the terms and conditions when they submitted the image for use.

I’d be very surprised if the photographer wasn’t aware of the legalities involved with commercial usage.

Post edited by Mellor on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Technophobe

I'm undecided but at the moment I think I like it😆

Possibly aimed at attracting younger audiences with its clear lines and non fussy appearance on first looks..

Glengoyne bottle opened tonight..I think its the first time I have had it..

Peppery hint at first and quite sharp in some ways on first taste...jury out on this one at mo..won't be rushing back for another bottle I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 19,045 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I had a sample of that last year. Was nice iirc. But again, the memory hasn't stuck around on that one.

Agree with the comments on 15yo. RB being the prime example of not being worth the premium when the base 12 is so good, the cask 12 is so good and the 21 is stupendous.

Main quick obs there is to see Jameson BB win its category. Which I don't think anyone here would be surprised about.

Will look through the list later.

• Advertisement

So some of the regulars may have noticed my lack presence on boards the last while, but a combo of new boards, new job and a bloody masters has meant I've had precious little time to wax on about whiskey, GAA and motors the last while. Hopefully, that will change moving forward.

Anyway, to get back in with a bang, some may remember last year when CWS were selling off a load of mis-engraved and damaged packs of MVR and other high price stuff and I was lucky enough to bag myself a bottle of MVR2018 for 130 bills. Which seems rather ludicrous now looking back.

Anyway, the plan was to crack her open when I got a new job after being unemployed for all of 2020 due to losing my job in Dec 2019 and then the pandemic hitting just after while I was in the throes of the job search. So on the shelf she sat. Despite finally landing a a job (and in fact, I've moved 4 times since!) it never felt right to open it for them as they were merely means' to an end and I always knew I'd be moving swiftly on as soon as I could.

Thankfully an even better opportunity arose last week as we welcomed our new daughter into the world!

Anyway, I have to say, having never managed to have an MVR before, but having had the Barry Crockett, I thought I had a fair idea what to expect, but to be honest, it was even better again. Though, having more than a samples' worth helped matters. The 3 of us could have polished it off no bother last Friday. I'll have some BC over Christmas and I'll do another comparison then.

Gorgeous biscuity maltiness, And a very light initial taste that takes a while for the warmth to hit, and boy the heat does hit eventually and is so pleasant without going overboard.

So yeah, totally worth it. As they say, whiskey's there for drinking, and when it's this good, you have to really.

TO ISLA!

Advertisement