Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Scuba_tom

Thanks, I like what they are trying to do so will probably order a bottle anyway. Have a bottle of new Dingle on order too.
    odyssey06 wrote: »
    The Waterford offerings are hit and miss for me.
    I wouldnt get too hung up about the age statement... they are trying something different with terroir.

The Ratheadon is wonderful, sheestown was v nice.
    Disappointed with gaia and bannow island.
    Dunno about Hook Head though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Scuba_tom wrote: »
    First time poster, just looking at Waterford Hook Head 1.1. At 75 euro is it worth it? I like to support local but is that just a very expensive 4 ish y.o?

You should be able to get the Ratheadon for 65/70. Better option although I liked the Hook Head.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I've only had the Ratheadon, and it was lovely.
    I keep meaning to try another one of theirs, but haven't got around to it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

odyssey06 wrote:
    Disappointed with gaia and bannow island. Dunno about Hook Head though.

Saw one fellas review and he said the gaia was the worst whiskey he ever tried. Tasting notes of mashed potatoes and bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Cazale wrote: »
    Saw one fellas review and he said the gaia was the worst whiskey he ever tried. Tasting notes of mashed potatoes and bread.

I shared a bottle of Bannow Island 1.1 with a group of whisky pals and nobody loved it they were all miffed at the price and the amount of fuss that had preceded it.

Still I will reserve judgement for now but divert my cash flow elsewhere.

• Advertisement

The Dubliner Irish Whiskey has collaborated with one of Ireland’s leading craft brewers to create the second batch of The Dubliner Whiskey Beer Cask Series, an exciting, limited edition range, whereby the award-winning Dubliner Irish Whiskey is aged in beer casks, and craft beers in whiskey casks.

The Dubliner Irish Whiskey partnered with fellow Dublin neighbour and independent Irish craft brewer, Rascal’s Brewing Co, to produce a cheeky coupling of Dubliner 3yo blend with Rascals Smoked Stout casks, making for a whiskey packed with personality.

You will need to be quick though -The Dubliner Irish Whiskey Smoked Stout is a limited edition with fewer than 2,000 bottles on sale, available to customers in Ireland now online from www.thedld.com for €35.

The Dubliner Irish Whiskey has collaborated with one of Ireland’s leading craft brewers to create the second batch of The Dubliner Whiskey Beer Cask Series, an exciting, limited edition range, whereby the award-winning Dubliner Irish Whiskey is aged in beer casks, and craft beers in whiskey casks.

The Dubliner Irish Whiskey partnered with fellow Dublin neighbour and independent Irish craft brewer, Rascal’s Brewing Co, to produce a cheeky coupling of Dubliner 3yo blend with Rascals Smoked Stout casks, making for a whiskey packed with personality.

You will need to be quick though -The Dubliner Irish Whiskey Smoked Stout is a limited edition with fewer than 2,000 bottles on sale, available to customers in Ireland now online from www.thedld.com for €35.

Smoked Stout? Now ye're talking.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Spotted this in Molloy's today. A 40% ABV "spirit drink" made from whiskey blended with stout. €39 for a 700ml bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭interlocked

BeerNut wrote: »
    Spotted this in Molloy's today. A 40% ABV "spirit drink" made from whiskey blended with stout. €39 for a 700ml bottle.

The "cocktail" list on that site, is truly one for the ages:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Listrydude

Effects wrote: »
    yeah I thoroughly enjoyed the Ratheadon. Bought the Lakefield last week. Nice but not up there with the Ratheadon for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,045 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The Waterford offerings are hit and miss for me.
    I wouldnt get too hung up about the age statement... they are trying something different with terroir.

The Ratheadon is wonderful, sheestown was v nice.
    Disappointed with gaia and bannow island.
    Dunno about Hook Head though.
    You should be able to get the Ratheadon for 65/70. Better option although I liked the Hook Head.
    Effects wrote: »
    cloudatlas wrote: »
    I shared a bottle of Bannow Island 1.1 with a group of whisky pals and nobody loved it they were all miffed at the price and the amount of fuss that had preceded it.

Still I will reserve judgement for now but divert my cash flow elsewhere.
    Listrydude wrote: »
    yeah I thoroughly enjoyed the Ratheadon. Bought the Lakefield last week. Nice but not up there with the Ratheadon for me

I had a Ratheadon 1.1 last year and demolished the bottle with the FIL (take that Cazale). It truly was a stunning dram, all the more so for such a young drop.

He then bought the Ballykilcavan 1.1 for us at Christmas which was so so disappointing.

I then got a Ratheadon 1.2 and while still delicious, didn't hit the heights of last summer.

Now, I'm more than happy to accept the change as being a case of being less than "shock of the new" and hype as it was last summer.

I'm also prepared to accept that it's all psychosomatic. But I also wonder, that since I became more active here and started to drink a lot more random stuff that I wouldn't have ordinarily bothered with [looking at you Kilbeggan 8 {sploosh}], whether that has let my tastes slip.

Then again, RB12 and John's Lane are still as magnificent... so maybe it's all "up there" * points to head *

Are 1.2 and 1.1 different batches or merely different releases? And has anyone had them side-by-side?
    First time poster, just looking at Waterford Hook Head 1.1. At 75 euro is it worth it? I like to support local but is that just a very expensive 4 ish y.o?

But to answer your question Tom, if you must get a Waterford, get a Ratheadon. And if you want a special whiskey at that price point I'd be getting a Drumshanbo Inaugural if you can find it.

I had a Ratheadon 1.1 last year and demolished the bottle with the FIL (take that Cazale). It truly was a stunning dram, all the more so for such a young drop.

I'm available for adoption or sponsorship. Just one bottle of good single malt a month would make a real difference.

Dot Brewery STACKED 8.2%

A foreign extra oatmeal stout that has been aged in Teeling blackpitts peated Irish single malt ex bourbon barrels since Nov 2020.

An incredibly approachable, balanced fruity peated Irish whiskey was the launch pad to build off.

Created with pale Irish grown, Irish malted barley / brown / chocolate / biscuit / flaked & malted oats & fruity american yeast.

A light peated wood fire smoke / silky milk chocolate / hazelnut with a fruity biscuit finish.

Out in all great independent off licenses in Ireland Tues 18.05

Inject it into me!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

Went up north at the weekend... got myself 3 bottles of Laphraiog 10 and a glenfiddich tasting set for £11. Looking forward to the 18 and the 15. It might tempt me to open the bottle of 15 that's been sitting there...

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Smurts

Dot Brewery STACKED 8.2%

A foreign extra oatmeal stout that has been aged in Teeling blackpitts peated Irish single malt ex bourbon barrels since Nov 2020.

An incredibly approachable, balanced fruity peated Irish whiskey was the launch pad to build off.

Created with pale Irish grown, Irish malted barley / brown / chocolate / biscuit / flaked & malted oats & fruity american yeast.

A light peated wood fire smoke / silky milk chocolate / hazelnut with a fruity biscuit finish.

Out in all great independent off licenses in Ireland Tues 18.05

Oh nice! Was very disappointed with the Teelings Blackpitts but will try pick up a few of these for sure, been looking for a smoked stout to replace the Cleverman turf stout which is not being produced anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Scuba_tom

He then bought the Ballykilcavan 1.1 for us at Christmas which was so so disappointing.

I then got a Ratheadon 1.2 and while still delicious, didn't hit the heights of last summer.

Now, I'm more than happy to accept the change as being a case of being less than "shock of the new" and hype as it was last summer.

I'm also prepared to accept that it's all psychosomatic. But I also wonder, that since I became more active here and started to drink a lot more random stuff that I wouldn't have ordinarily bothered with [looking at you Kilbeggan 8 {sploosh}], whether that has let my tastes slip.

Then again, RB12 and John's Lane are still as magnificent... so maybe it's all "up there" * points to head *

Are 1.2 and 1.1 different batches or merely different releases? And has anyone had them side-by-side?

But to answer your question Tom, if you must get a Waterford, get a Ratheadon. And if you want a special whiskey at that price point I'd be getting a Drumshanbo Inaugural if you can find it.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply!

I ended up getting both - hook head and a lonely ratheadon 1.2 I found in supervalu.....currently have an MVR 2018, talisker 10, yellow spot (not overly impressed), caskmates ipa and a highland black on the go. Looking to expand into some more independent breweries that distill their own. Had been keeping an eye out for the drumshanbo inaugural but no joy. Picked up dingle no 5 and the new malt as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Picked up dingle no 5 and the new malt as well.

What are peoples thoughts on the new Dingle?

Heaven's Door whiskey have aged a 10 year old Bourbon in redbreast casks for 15 months. Bob Dylan and Redbreast! Two of my favorite things in life. On sale in limited numbers in Ireland in September.

Heaven's Door whiskey have aged a 10 year old Bourbon in redbreast casks for 15 months. Bob Dylan and Redbreast! Two of my favorite things in life. On sale in limited numbers in Ireland in September.

Ooh I need this. Still waiting for The Chronicles Volume II aswell!

• Advertisement

cloudatlas wrote:
    Ooh I need this. Still waiting for The Chronicles Volume II aswell!

Any day now!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Smurts

Where did you see it will be available in Ireland? Seems to indicate it’s US only in the press release

Smurts wrote: »
    Where did you see it will be available in Ireland? Seems to indicate it’s US only in the press release

The Master Blenders' Edition is offered in Heaven's Door's signature bottle, featuring a new gate design created by Bob Dylan in his Black Buffalo Ironworks studio, as well as Redbreast's iconic Robin. Available in very limited quantities on ReserveBar.com and at select retailers, The Master Blenders' Edition is being released in the U.S. just in time for Father's Day. It will also be available in limited quantities in September in the UK and Ireland. With a suggested retail price (SRP) of $99.99 for a 750ml bottle and a single limited bottling, once this release is gone, it is gone for good.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/heavens-door-whiskey-and-redbreast-irish-whiskey-announce-first-ever-collaboration-the-master-blenders-edition-301294673.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

The Dubliner Irish Whiskey partnered with fellow Dublin neighbour and independent Irish craft brewer, Rascal’s Brewing Co

I'd hardly call them neighbours to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Listrydude

Found it much stronger in taste than previous single malts. I absolutely love Batch 4 and 5, and found this a little spicy. That's on the first tasting, will try again next weekend.

BeerNut wrote: »

That bottle looks like it's inspired by a very famous stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,045 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

cloudatlas wrote: »

That is a tragedy of a label.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Must admit, I struggle to imagine how aging a bourbon in any Irish whiskey cask makes sense. Hard to see how the bourbon wouldn’t mainly just swamp the Irish, it’s taking something bold and punchy as hell and trying to age in what is a more subtle, even delicate flavour, surely?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Kilchoman Machir Bay tonight. The weather suits it.

I’m going to get a Sanaig after this, their other core offering. I feel like they are producing faultless Islay whisky and at a good price point.

It’s 5 and 6 year old whisky. Hard to believe.

Advertisement