Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Picked up a bottle of Black Bush 80/20 PX Sherry Cask Reserve in duty free. Seemed similar to regular black bush to me (not a bad thing). Would need to taste them side by side. €32 for a litre

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭conor678

Wouldn't mind trying that myself. Black bush is a very under rated whiskey. Seems very good value for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Im out of the loop on that but if you email Katie at celticwhiskey.com she might send it on to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Peat works wonders for younger whiskey so it's no surprise to see it being used more.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭janiejones

Went for the highland park l mulligan single cask today. 12 years old. 100euro. 63%.

I've never drank a regular highland park. Should I have spent that on the lagavulin 16 which I know 100% I love. I really am not sure. Am I a magpie who likes shiny things or was this a genuinely limited opportunity.

I've promised myself it's my last purchase this calendar year outside of potentially the #dirtgrain blackwater release. @the beer revolu it's the one thing I'm most excited about if it's within my price range

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lads can anyone recommend a Redbrest, is the 12 YO the one to get?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I guess you get what you pay for sometimes

Over the weekend I got a bottle of Glendalough Double Barrel (Bourbon barrel aged. Sherry Oloroso barrel finished) for €17 in duty free

Even that was a rip off. Horrible whiskey. No real flavour, no interest. Obnoxious alcohol burn at the end. Definitely wouldn't recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭FlicFlak

I remember getting that when it first came out and it was actually really nice, proper flavour off it.

Although it seems lately everyone is of a similar opinion to yourself, they must have changed the whiskey, either ran out of the good barrels or changed supplier. Shame really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I saw them hyping up the wheat one on twitter I think. I'll be dropping hints for this for Christmas too, as I'd love to try them all side by side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Spotted this blend in Tesco NI although I didn't buy it I was impressed with the transparency and breakdown, and then the wee QR code takes you to the website that details exactly where their sourced whiskey comes from:

They're appearing sideways on my phone for some reason but sure feck it

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Supervalu have something of a promotion on at the moment at the lower end of the market, Jameson Cask Mates Stout Edition and Jameson IPA Edition are €30 on the shelf but there is a further €5 discount for using the rewards card, so €25 a bottle which is the same as the regular Jameson. There was no mention of the extra €5 discount on the shelf but a member of staff mentioned it and also said their promotions are changing weekly, but there should be some significant markdowns every week until Christmas.

"Where does the Ulster single malt come from?"

Bushmills. But they probably have an agreement where they can't say but they make it fairly obvious. The others are the shed distillery, great northern and west cork

Edit this was in response to above quote @Citizen Six

Post edited by Beanstalk on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Longshot here I think...

Anyone (possibly in the Cork area) know where I might pick up a bottle of "Two mayors" Whiskey?

Murphy Stout whiskeys are responsible for it, and I think it was released last year or year before. Not much info online (that I could find at least.)

https://murphystoutwhiskey.ie/whiskey/

Thought it might have been Bushmills, but I always forget who usually makes what whiskey. I had noticed the other three were disclosed on the website. Wasn't aware that the Shed did distilling for other people. Well aware that Great Northern and West Cork did though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 runningonwhiskey90

I am pretty sure it was private bottling and sold on Instagram/whatapp rather than through any retail outlets. Chance dropping the Instagram account a message.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Listrydude

So, with Christmas around the corner, what are the good souls here looking for, for Xmas? What whiskey have you been dropping hints about, waiting for the holidays to get or going to treat yourself? For me, a bottle of Midleton Barry Crockett all going well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I looked for a sherry led scotch from speyside or highlands.

If I know my missus as well as I think then I bet she has got me a single cask Glenallachie.

I haven't been snooping, just married a long time.

I think my mum got me a John's Lane and my dad got me a Yellow Spot. They hinted at it anyway. Would be delighted with those by the fire gently falling asleep on Christmas Night.

I spotted a dusty Bluespot locally I'm hoping to buy for myself once I've saved up, if it's still there. And i definitely want to get myself something from Cambletown as I'm not too familiar with their whiskies - looking like Glen Scotia.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭tyler71

Personally, I think that bottle is an absolute banger, demolished a bottle of it a while back and have another waiting for Christmas. Its nothing like a Laga 16 though, not a hint of any turf, it's an absolute sherry bomb. Would compare it to the Aberlour Abunadh, which is comparable price wise - so may not be completely up your alley, but is a lovely whiskey nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

Cheers for that. Emailed her but no response. Will try a few other options. Had a few favorite from the tastings that I'd love to try again.

It arrived Monday. I only managed to wait until last night. Had to try a little bit. It's lovely. I've never had a highland park but I imagine this isn't really representing their regular stuff. I had the Arran sherry cask earlier this year which is in sherry hogs heads as well. Never had the aberlour but there's definitely bits of that Arran. This being way better on initial impression but early days. Taking tiny sips, all the alcohol evaporates on my tongue. Vanilla y Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

New ten year green spot available on the single malt shop if €340 is ok for you to spend.

Only 192 bottles apparently.

https://thesinglemaltshop.com/product/green-spot-10-yo-exclusive-single-cask/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Janiejones-

Is it a cask strength version of the core 12 year old?

If so, would have expected it to be peated, I presume it is.

I've always enjoyed Highland Park. They do quite good whisky at all price brackets, some affordable stuff and some upper end options too.

The only thing I never quite understood is why they do SO many travel retail variations.

I'm fond of Highland Park too. They get a real slating for their marketing sometimes but you won't get that heathery smoke anywhere else.

Sounds like a solid buy @janiejones

It's 63.7% single cask. And it was 12 years in "first fill European oak sherry hogshead". I think there is meant to be peat in it but I've really only had a little taste and haven't picked it up yet. First impressions are very positive though. I know Christmas and vanilla are buzzwords but it's the first thing that springs to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Hi folks

My mam passed away two weeks this Friday after a very short battle with cancer

Sorry I have been very quiet normally I'm on here constantly

I'm looking for suggestions to an epic sample or epic bottle to toast her up there looking down on us all

I'm big into sherry whiskey, big flavours and high abv whiskey

What would you suggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Listrydude

Hi @DARK-KNIGHT,

So sorry for your loss, may your Mam rest in peace.

My recommendation would Be a WD O'Connell 12 year old All sherry single Malt, which is a cracker and a decent abv at 59.2%.

Whatever you choose, Slainte!

Post edited by Listrydude on

• Advertisement

Sorry for your loss @DARK-KNIGHT . As well as the great suggestion above would you consider the new Bunnahabhain 12 year old Cask Strength 2022 batch? It seems to be getting a big buzz online...

Advertisement