Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Unlurking

Not sure if it falls into the "easily obtained" category as it's exclusive to duty free, but being a Laphroaig fan I picked up a bottle of PX Cask out of curiousity in the airport in Rome last week. It's not cask strength, but 48%. Not to continue the discussion in the past few posts, I haven't opened it yet, as I've a heap on the go at the moment.

(this thread is a danger to my liver 😁)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I was a keen whisky drinker several years ago but then went deep into the world of wine so I didn't drink much whisky for a couple of years.

I got back into whisky some months ago and have been making my way through the half decent collection I have. One of my favourite drams is Springbank 15. I’m almost finished the bottle I have and went looking for a replacement to find that Springbank is now a rare as hens’ teeth. So my question is where does one buy Springbank (or Hazelburn) now??

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭DeniG2

This hasn't been available is Dunnes before but appeared today, I haven't tried it, is it any good, worth the money?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,647 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It was discussed earlier in the thread... haven't tried it but there's a distinct lack of buzz about it online \ social media reviews which suggests it is not worth €60. Maybe you could take one for the team though and let us know :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

It's a nice drop, picked it up on offer in duty free, so probably biased to that lower price.

Lovely whiskey, certainly holds its own as an SPS, but not competing at that price for me. For ~€60 I'll be buying Redbreast 12 any day of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

The Celtic Whisky Shop seems to get 'batches' of stuff in regularly... They'll have a rake of Kilchoman, then Glenallachie, then Arran, and so on. I'm pretty sure they got several Springbanks in together a while ago. Probably signing up to their mailing list is the way to go.

Truthfully, since Brexit it has become even harder to access Scotch. Not so much even talking about price points, I just mean range of choice. It wasn't possible to get Master of Malt and others to ship directly to Ireland before Brexit, but there were workarounds or at least some options compared to now.

If you have someone in NI or GB it's possibly still best to order from larger suppliers like MoM and then get it whenever. I have some particular niche bottles waiting for me in Glasgow at the moment, things that I would never expect to be able to buy in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Not sure if Nationwide (or indeed legal given MUP) but Maynooth Dunnes had Black Barrel Proof for 25 euro today. I took the last of their stock but may be worth looking elsewhere.

Bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Same price in Galway too. It was out of stock but a staff member said more on the way!

Definitely a mistake, the price label claims it's reduced from 37 to 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Definitely a mistake! The staff member told me he got it for 20 with their staff discount.

Looking forward to trying. Enjoyed the regular bit not enough to buy another. Hoping the extra ABV adds some added spice and robustness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I'll have to go searching Dunnes, I love that whiskey.

Well, the higher ABV will give a big lift to the mouthfeel. And it's a nice whiskey to start with so it's a winner across the board... Must try to find a Dunnes today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Got a family member to nab one of those at €25 whats going on at all lol this is great!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭SteM

None in Dunnes Kilnamanagh anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭tobdom

Nor in Dunnes Briarhill in Galway, disappointingly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

none in my two nearest outlets

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tech_Head

None in Douglas or Bishopstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Smurts

None in the Beacon either, albeit the label was there noting that it was reduced TO €37 rather than from €37 which may have been the error, so it looks like it may have been caught.

Still at €37 its good value

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Tried 3 different Dunnes to no avail. Was advertised at €25 on website but now removed, so I suspect someone has recognised the pricing error. Great spot though, well done to those who managed to buy at €25, hell of a bargain.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Grabbed the single bottle in Dunnes Horan Centre, Tralee this evening.

Was priced on the SEL at €62.50 but scanned at €25 so happy days!

Thanks to the poster for the tip off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Dark Silkie is a serious bang for your buck whiskey!

A couple of unusual ones from Scotland.

The Torabhhaig is 77 PPM, hadn't realised how heavily peated it is.

Post edited by Black Sheep on

This was pretty decent. can still taste it today Similar to Uigeadal I spose but more sherry.

Let us know what you think if Woodburn I've heard lots of good things!

Kilchoman is possibly my favourite 'value for money' Islay distillery at the moment...

I've had a bottle of Sanaig and liked it, but I actually preferred the even cheaper Machir Bay, which is very stripped back.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

I'm exactly the same, bought the sanaig expecting a big step up, but machir bay isa nicer drop.

I'd take uigeadail any day over the sanaig.

There was a time you could get machir bay in most marks and Spencers up north. Haven't seen it there in ages

Yeah Uigeadal has a much higher ABV and is a around the same price so much better value. In therms of peat/smoke i thought they were kinda similar tasting as opposed to the other peated Islay's.

Would definitely buy Machir Bay if I saw it in M&S in the North but haven't for a while. Sometimes they have surprising ones. I got a Glengoyne 10 year old there once which is a nice mellow whiskey.

Next up I have a Port Charlotte Islay Barley 2013 which I'm looking forward to opening

I will throw in a different take on it, I don't see them as being that similar.

Sanaig has a much lower ABV and is 30 euro cheaper, unless it's really gone up.

Style wise I think Kilchoman is more similar to a higher PPM Lagavulin than Ardbeg but that's a bit of personal taste maybe.

I like both but the Uaigeadail to me is in a bracket above, reflected in the cost.

Not sure how heavily peated Uaigeadail is these days but for reference the Ardbeg 10 is 55 PPM.. Uagadeail used to be more than that.. I feel like early bottlings were somewhere between the 10 and Supernova in PPM.. It was a chunky 100. And Sanaig sits around 50, which is respectable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

All this talk makes me want to try a Kilchoman!

I don't think it has been open long when I visited, and I didn't love what they had at the time. I haven't bothered to try again, sounds like I should

The only Kilchoman that was a dud for me was the "100% Islay".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Just had a check in my cupboard and found a Kilchoman Original Cask Strength, bottled 2016. Didn't know I had that, I really should buy less whiskey 🙈

...or drink more 🤣

Advertisement