Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Some whiskies on offer in Supervalu (Sutton).

Jameson Single Pot Still at the random price of €57.40.

Busker Blended Irish Whiskey €25

Busker Single Malt Irish Whiskey €35

I picked up Foxes Bow for €35, haven't sampled yet but has a lovely nose on it - aged in Bourbon barrels and finished in Oloroso and Rye casks. Will be interesting to compare it to Powers Rye. Think there were some good reviews on the thread already for it. Sourced whiskey but not sure from where.

Edit - According to WhiskeyBase, Foxes Bow is source Great Northern Distillery.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

I dunno about the Euro difference but there's only £5-10 difference between Sanaig and Uigeadal if buying from UK at the minute.

Ppm aside, i find the Kilchomans and Ardbeg have the same campfire peat flavour whereas Laphroaig has a much more iodine flavour while Port Charlotte has a much more liquorice and ashier thing going on. Lagavulin is definitely closer to Ardbeg than Laphroaig.all personal taste too tho!

Regarding PPM, I would love to try something higher even that the Uigeadal/Corryvreckan? You aware of anything in a more affordable range i could look at @Black Sheep ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

@beanstalk Octomore is the obvious choice but it's not 'affordable'. However, if you have UK access you could buy a couple of samples? I'm not sure I'd want a full bottle anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Enjoyed a drop of Midleton 2007 with Mrs Beer last night. Found it quite sweet and chocolatey this time. Lots of oak.

Been open for quite a few years. I wonder if it's changing in the bottle (about 1/4 left)?

Oh, the cork broke, too. Seems to be a problem with older IDL bottles - I have an old bottle of Powers 12 YO that broke on opening!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

yeah I opened a fairly old bottle of Bushmills 12 last xmas and the cork disintegrated on opening, some even fell into the bottle - I decanted through a strainer and into a different bottle I had empty, but made sure to finish the whiskey quickly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Speaking of Bushmills are they going to do the cocktail kits for Black Bush again this year? Was around this time last year ...

Oh, I wouldn't worry about the cork spoiling the liquid. Usually it's just a cork falling apart, not rotting or infected in any way.

I just strain, rebottle and find another cork.

yeah, there were other reasons I wanted to drink it. It was enjoyable. And my father-in-law had been hoarding it for far too long

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭adaminho

Actually had this problem recently with Sailors home. One of the lads that drinks in the bar came in to finish off the bottle in the bar to take the top home as his one disintegrated. The cap he took home broke also and the bottle we replaced it with went the same way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Hey guys, looking to reduce my supply. Anyone interested in buying some almost full open bottles? PM me. South Dublin.

RB12 and RB15 are open a few months, the Benriach is open a few weeks.

RB15 and the Benriach are down a dram, RB12 is down 2 drams.

• Advertisement

We need a new word... perhaps the Germans have one... the bittersweet fleeting pleasure of tasting a wonderful whiskey (or wine say) which is no longer readily available.

Through a combination of circumstance I have recently tasted slash retasted the below:

- Midleton Very Rare 2018

- Barry Crockett Legacy

- Knappogue Castle Single Malt 1995 Special Reserve (Bushmills distilled)

All lovely whiskies. Murphys Law strikes and my favourite is the Knappogue Castle 1995 - the actual rarest.

Then I would place the BC above the MVR.

I picked up a sample of the Knappogue in the closing down sale of Tiny Tipples v1. Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭SteM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Hooked

Friend sent me SuperValu card offers this eve (crested, stout edition and ipa) all 25 euro.

figured Tesco and Dunnes might be doing similar. Tesco showing online that offers kick off tomorrow. Black barrell down to 30. Crested 25.

so i hit dunnes to check for similar. picked up two BB and one crested. Same price as Tesco

wife says i just spent 85 on whisky... but I say... no, I saved 57 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

What's the Crested like? I've never had it. How does it compare to the standard Jameson? At that price I should probably just get one...

Yes worth getting if you like standard Jameson and want another comparison.

It has more pot still input v grain and sherry cask influence. So spicier and sweeter than the standard offering - maybe too sweet after a few.

McHugh's off licence (off licence of the year) have started a Flask Fill thing

Tenner for a branded, faux-leather bound hip flask, which holds 175ml (or a quarter of a standard bottle). They'll always have Redbreast 12 and Yellowspot availablem, and when I was in last night there were about 6 other choicesThe price of the liquid obviously depends on the cost of a full bottle, if you look at the link 175ml of Powers Rye would be 12 euro, making the full bottle 48 at that price. But the Redbreast 12 is 18 a fill while a full bottle on the site is 69, so not too much markup there.

https://www.mchughs.ie/McHughs-Flask-Fill

Please bump if they have any new releases.

If you look at the dropdown on that page it lists the full options.

• Powers Irish Rye (+€12.00)
    • Redbreast 12 (+€18.00)
    • Waterford 1.1 Hook Head (+€20.00)
    • Yellow Spot (+€23.00)
    • Dingle Lá Le Bríde (+€23.00)
    • Lambay Reserve Cask Batch #1 (+€23.00)
    • Bushmills Causeway 2011 Sauternes Cask (+€31.00)

Just watch out for the small print - you have to buy their hipflask at the start kinda as a membership card.

Can I bring my own flask or bottle?

In short, no. Only our McHugh's branded flasks can be filled, think of it like a membership card to our exclusive club! 

How much does it cost?

Our flasks are €15 when bought on their own, but when bought with a fill you can avail of a special price of €10 plus the cost of the fill. The price of each fill depends on what whiskey you choose.

Bradley's in Cork have been doing this for a few years, now.

it's simialr-ish in concept to the thing they do in Distilled also, where the open a bottle of expensive whiskey and sell it by the dram at "cost price" until the bottle is empty

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭SteM

The Powers Irish Rye is down to €35 in O'Briens now if anyone is interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

O'Briens also have Three Swallows reduced to €30 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I still have the powers rye and 2 Christmas bottles unopened, but you can't say no at that price can you.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Matter of individual preference I guess, but personally really like it. Single pot still, very smooth and viscous, with some sweetness and spice. Nor sure I'd buy at RRP OF €48ish, but really great value at €30. My current go-to daily dram.

Yeah, for 30 quid Three Swallows is definitely worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I still don't like the Three Swallows neat, but it does make a very nice hot whiskey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I usually get it at this price, mainly for making cocktails.

Finally opened my Talisker Dark Storm last night, pretty good dram. Nice bit of peat smoke on the nose giving way to some briney notes along with some spice.

Same in the flavour, although the smokiness fades a good bit as you get through the glass opening up to some lovely sea and pepper flavours, and a good bit of the oak from the cask too.

Glad I got this, the side by side with the Storm should be interesting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Randomly opened a bottle of Ardbeg An Oa last night.

46.6% ABV and very strongly discernible PX influence in the mix. I think my palate has evolved to be able to pick up sherry / PX finish in Islay whiskies, but it used to be that I found them lost in the peat... Not so any more.

This is a very accomplished whisky, big mouth feel, extremely peaty yet also rich and well-rounded. I would suggest it's a good step up from the regular 10 for anyone who wants something on the more approachable side compared to more aggressive Ardbeg premium no-age statements.

I would put it in the same rough category as Laphroaig PX Cask and Laphroaig Lore. I'd say it beats the pants off the PX Cask, at a similar price point, but maybe not Lore, depending on preference for the distillery style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Do you mind me asking how you managed to get the ardbeg and how much it was? Im very interested in trying new whiskeys but very nervous of peat

Advertisement