Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Picked up a Bunnahabhainn cruach mhóna (50% abv) in the airport last weekend having seen this distillery mentioned a lot on here.

Not knowledgeable enough to write an in depth review but I really like the peatiness of it, nice without being overpowering. Wouldn't be used to the higher abv so a tiny drop of water improves it for me.

At stg50 for a L, I'm very happy with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

had a Nikka Days last night to finish off an evening out, very impressed with it, nice and light citrussy thing up front then as it sat in the glass the very subtle smokiness manifested itself.

I've not had a Japanese whiskey I didn't like

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Away for the wedding anniversary

#priorities 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

@DARK-KNIGHT any chance of a list of those minis, or at least a quick review when you get through them. Suggest taking notes during the tasting as memory may be unreliable the next day :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Will do that when I get back to hotel

I'm in around bittles here lads

Food here?

Also whiskey bars with decent selection?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

The Duke of York has a decent selection, but slightly pricey given it's a bit of a touristy bar. They have a whiskey shop, Friend at Hand, around the corner and it's definitely worth stepping into even just for a nosey.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tech_Head

Getting family to bring me home a bottle of Suntory Hibiki from the airport. Have heard good things about it but haven’t seen a bottle available here in 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I know not everyone likes Drinkshero, but they have Jameson 18 for €150 which seems like a genuine offer. A quick Google showed it at over €200 anywhere else (but I'll caveat that by saying I don't know what it was before). Just in case anyone's interested

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Crikey!

Well congrats on the anniversary also.

The Merchant Hotel bar I mentioned (the small one above reception) has a good whisky list as well as mixed drinks. Not cheap but drinking whisky in a bar never is.

For food the Mourne Seafood Bar is an institution. They have their own craft stout on tap.

Pizza Punks is good neapolitan style pizza.

Coppi is a nice slightly upmarket yet casual Italian.

If you can get in then Ox is a good fine dining option. They have a wine bar too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Never mind! 😊

Had originally posted complaining about the auction finishing this evening on irishwhiskeyauctions.ie., and wondering if anyone else here was also tearing their hair out.

It was due to finish at 7.00pm.

The site was crashing with about 20 minutes to go due to traffic volume, so nobody could bid. This was their biggest auction ever with just over 1700 items up for grabs.

They originally extended it by an hour, but have now made the sensible decision to extend it by a day. Hopefully they'll reconsider whatever server their using for the future.

Post edited by kuang1 on

• Advertisement

Just received an email from the gang at irishwhiskeyauctions.ie.

Turns out is was a DDOS attack.

I think they did the right thing ultimately though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm probably going to miss out on 2 items now that would have been welcome additions to my collection. Don't think I can justify bidding higher tomorrow after new bids came in after 20:00 tonight. I'm not impressed.

Folks

Can't say the auction is massive value

Every bottle I seem to bid on goes crazy

Even core range stuff prices are ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

What would the point of a DDOS attack be?

I missed out on a bunch of things I was trying to bid on in the last one, due to their website constantly crashing. I just didn't bother this time out. I have a couple of bottles for sale in the auction, but haven't reached reserve, so will probably just take them back.

Yeah as both a buyer and a seller, I'm conflicted over this.

I've already profited from this hullabaloo due to bids coming in on my lots for sale after 7.00pm &. 8.00pm.

But then again, those bids may have landed before the original deadline had the attack not happened. I'll never know.

But I'm trying to get my hands on one particular lot that I'm currently winning at a price that I'm very happy with. I don't expect that to remain unchanged until 7.00pm tomorrow though.

I have in the past got my hands on some bottles (for consumption) from here at prices below RRP. Some Dingle single malts and pot stills being good examples. (and yes, I'm including fees and delivery charges in that.)

As for the "why" behind a DDOS attack? To quote Alfred in The Dark Knight:

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tech_Head

Out of curiosity, what are people bidding on? Happy for people to wait until the auction is closed to reply.

I’m not trying to sell things on here but I’ve a few bits that I picked up over the past year or so as just got into the whiskey game but considering getting out of it.

I usually buy decent duty free bottles that people either bought, or get as gifts, and buy them at less than original retail.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

In the end I picked up 2 bottles of Scotch a decent bit cheaper than they would have been in Irish shops, if either was readily available. Laphroaig 10 and Oban 14.

I missed out on the Writer's Tears Inniskillen Ice Wine. Wasn't crazy expensive, but I wasn't prepared to go beyond my original bid for it.

I have a bottle of Thomond Gate's latest release that I'd considered selling, but now I'm not so sure. None of the 3 in this month's auction even came close to breaking even, never mind making a profit!

Anything I've put it, I always put a reserve on it, so I at least don't make a loss. But people don't seem to bid on stuff with reserves as much.

And I'm the opposite for that very reason.

I've never put a reserve on anything I've sold as I think it acts as a deterrent.

As a buyer I don't think I've ever purchased something that had a reserve, because I know any small chance I'd have of getting a bargain just doesn't exist.

That said, I've never sold anything worth more than €600 so not a life-changing risk to take I suppose!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Hah i was looking through the first time and I spotted that Oban 14 at a very decent price but was busy as the auction closed! Good buy. Love Oban and it's citrussy carry on

I've never had it but I saw the age and the expected price and had to throw a bid on it! I've only started scratching the surface with regards to Scotch so it seemed a sensible purchase. Looking forward to a little compare and contrast tasting with the Laphroaig, Talisker and Chivas Regal.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 HenryCase

I tend to look for things that I can't get in Ireland. Took a chance on 'A good old fashioned Christmas whisky' given the RRP was £85 when launched. Would have been cheaper if the auction ended earlier but oh well.

I'd have loved to get the Bunna 12 cask strength but not at that price when adding in vat and delivery. Bid on a couple of Bimber bottles as well but was outbid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Good stuff. It will be very different to all of those except maybe a bit of salt. It's a great whiskey

The cork disintegrated when I tried to open the bottle this evening! I'll have to search for a spare one that'll fit the neck.

I reckon the bottle is at least 8 years old so it must have dried out over time. Something similar happened with the old cork in a bottle of Lagavulin I had in the attic. Might have to use the tea strainer when I'm sampling it tonight!

I always hang on to a couple of spares from old bottles, for the odd time this happens.

My brother came home from London this morning and brought home a bottle of this Scotch.

I’m not much of a whiskey drinker so was wondering if anyone would have any suggestions for a cocktail it would work in, or would I better off just having it with ginger ale?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Caol Ila has quite a punch to it, but it's really nice. Try it in its own, then with a few drops of water, you might be surprised

I think it'll overpower ginger a bit. You can't go wrong with an Old Fashioned, but you'll need some sours

For things you might actually have in the kitchen, try this, it's really good...

3 parts whiskey

2 parts lemon juice

1 part maple syrup

Shake over ice and strain. I found a travel coffee mug worked perfectly 😋

I would consider whether to re-gift it or sell it, to be honest.

It's reasonably peated/ smoky, which makes it a little less versatile for mixed drinks.

In terms of smoky scotch in mixed drinks, the Penicillin is a modern classic... but if you're not really into whisky it might not be to your taste.

• Advertisement

Opened up a bottle of Ardbeg Corryverckan.

I've had a few glasses in recent nights, all without water. It's at 57%, but easy enough drinking for all that.

A very rich, heady and sweet iteration of Arbeg. I know the sales copy frequently talks about this being "medicinal" but it isn't really. Maybe the original run of this and Uaigadeail were, but this is a softer beast.

Dare I say I actually prefer the Oa I had before this.

Advertisement