Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teenagers with no value for life and no care for repercussions - **Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

The media has a lot to answer for with their selective reporting.

Not PC to report on crimes committed by “the deprived”

The thing is that a lot of these teenagers are not deprived. I have seen it with fellas I would have been friends with growing up, come from a good family, never had any trouble with the Gardai and then the friends get mixed in with another group and next you hear they are robbing cars or dealing drugs. I know of a family that sold up and moved out of the area just to get their kid out of it and I have seen other families throw the teenagers out. I often what would I do in their situation besides moving out of the area

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭toffeeshel

b0nk1e wrote: »
    I've written to Shelbourne's shirt sponsor asking if they're proud to be associated with this young gentleman.

I would imagine the more correspondence they receive, the sooner this guy will see some consequences from Shelbourne.

What part of ‘he no longer plays for Shelbourne ‘ are you not getting? I hope you didn’t waste too much time writing the letter. While you’re at it - you should probably write to Canada Goose and Nike to warn them that they need to control the use of their brands

• Registered Users Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

hurikane wrote: »
    Sterilisation

I don't think sterilising teenagers is either ethical or practical...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

b0nk1e wrote: »
    I've written to Shelbourne's shirt sponsor asking if they're proud to be associated with this young gentleman.

I would imagine the more correspondence they receive, the sooner this guy will see some consequences from Shelbourne.

Huh... Woke cancel culture... Didn;t see that one coming.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I have been saying this for years as I've watched year after year the social order in this country declining and that catches up in reputation eventually. We are certainly earning nowadays.

We have no police to be seen and a stupid fcuking judiciary.

Never mind the social welfare situation which enables most of this from the start. Most of the only people who can afford to have multiple children in Ireland are the very people who shouldn't be having them in the first place.

How many more times does it need to be said?

If the state does not act, local communities will act.

People are getting fed up seeing these scumbags running riot with impunity around an ever increasing number of areas.

My mum always says it - only one thing for it; vigilantes

• Advertisement

Which one?

The guy in the red jacket who thought he was responsible for the girl going off the platform looks like he shat himself when he realised what had happened alright, but then it’s like he just casually walks off when he realises at least she’s not dead.

The guy with the bike who tripped her by sticking his bike out, he’d already tried it and missed with the girl before her, and then there’s the guy who tries to roundhouse kick the girl in the face. The bizarre thing is they were all acting independently of each other. Each of them had their own vile way of acting when they thought they could get away with it.

As for the “worldwide attention” it’s getting on social media? It’ll be forgotten about by this time next week, some people delight in blowing things out of proportion.

Yes the red jacket guy. He at least looked upset.

Yes I think it will be forgotten. Eventually somebody will be killed. There will be outrage. Then that will be forgotten.

leahyl wrote: »

As someone posted earlier a vigilante was jailed for two years. Actually he wasn’t part of an organised vigilantism, just protecting his car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

fvp4 wrote: »
    Yes I think it will be forgotten. Eventually somebody will be killed. There will be outrage. Then that will be forgotten.

That already happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Maybe it can be finally used for good?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The problem here is a culture that's grown up in the last 30 or so years that says everything bad that happens to you isn't your fault or your responsibility - you're disadvantaged, discriminated against, a victim of the system etc etc. Most of this was imported from US TV talk shows from the late 80s/early 90s at a time when Irish people still looked at the US as the beacon of Western society.

Add to that the traditional Irish admiration of the cute hoor who breaks the rules - whether it be politicians or ordinary people engaging in low level corruption or illegal behaviour, itself a result of people knowing they'd do the same things if they had the opportunity or the balls/sheer neck.

On top of that is the massive change in Irish society around material wants (everything from holidays to housing) and the huge costs involved meaning more people working and having kids that they're depending on the babysitter or school to raise (as not all of these feral kids are from unemployed households), and who overcompensate by telling them they're special and throwing "stuff" at them.

Because of all this, we have a justice system that is soft touch and ineffective, and where even if they are found guilty, at most they'll get a slap on the wrist - unlike the 70s or early 80s when if the guards (or even just a neighbour) arrived at the door with a complaint, you'd be in for real consequences.

The result is a generation who've been raised to feel no responsibility for their actions, who weren't told no enough as children, and who feel entitled to everything they see, and freedom to do whatever they want.

It's not just antisocial scum either. Ask any employer about the culture of many of their youngest employees and their attitudes and the problems are evident there too.

There's no easy solution though and unfortunately we live in a society where the easiest/quickest solution is all many people are interested in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

toffeeshel wrote: »
    What part of ‘he no longer plays for Shelbourne ‘ are you not getting? I hope you didn’t waste too much time writing the letter. While you’re at it - you should probably write to Canada Goose and Nike to warn them that they need to control the use of their brands

Let us hear Shels or Hamptons or anyone else come out and say it then. Or should we take your word for it instead of all those writing letters and signing petitions.

I do hope that he is no longer involved. I personally think that if he had concentrated more on football, and the discipline that that brings, he wouldn't be hanging round train platforms and kicking people.

Shelbourne have acknowledged that there is an issue which they intend to deal with promptly. I do not see that there is any problem with someone contacting them, or their sponsor, to give their input prior to the conclusion of Shelbourne's prompt investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭KeepItLight

The murder of the woman in the IFSC recently did not get half the attention it should have gotten either. A lot of people don't even seem to know about that incident.

If I were the minister for justice looking at the situation I'd be wanting serious reforms.

5,000 more gardai
    Mandatory minimum on the beat weekly work by all gardai and outsource civilian duties
    Mandatory sentencing to force judges to act
    Thousands of new prison spaces
    Efforts to hold parents accountable in their pocket

Etc

And I'd be looking to announce it all in one go with a message to the public that this behaviour won't be tolerated anymore and if you involve yourself in it you will be punished.

I don't know what the politicians are afraid of because they'd be very popular.

because there is more money to be made by keeping things the way that it is

Refund the police.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

The murder of the woman in the IFSC recently did not get half the attention it should have gotten either. A lot of people don't even seem to know about that incident.

If I were the minister for justice looking at the situation I'd be wanting serious reforms.

5,000 more gardai
    Mandatory minimum on the beat weekly work by all gardai and outsource civilian duties
    Mandatory sentencing to force judges to act
    Thousands of new prison spaces
    Efforts to hold parents accountable in their pocket

Etc

And I'd be looking to announce it all in one go with a message to the public that this behaviour won't be tolerated anymore and if you involve yourself in it you will be punished.

I don't know what the politicians are afraid of because they'd be very popular.

This is an excellent but sad point.

That incident was shocking.

All we hear about is there is not enough social houses to house these feral scumbags from the bleeding heart brigade.

That woman's death is now forgotten.

So sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

This is an excellent but sad point.

That incident was shocking.

All we hear about is there is not enough social houses to house these feral scumbags from the bleeding heart brigade.

That woman's death is now forgotten.

So sad.

It is mostly forgotten because society places so little value on her life. A Mongolian woman in her late 40s, working hard to keep her family afloat. Her family will mourn her as any family mourns their loved one, but society won't react in the same numbers if it were an Irish born woman in her 40s working in the civil service.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭toffeeshel

JMNolan wrote: »
    Maybe it can be finally used for good?

A teenager does something wrong. The internet detectives name him ( possibly harming any future legal action)
    He has not yet been arrested, charged, or found guilty.
    Yet because on his profile it appears that at some stage he played schoolboy football with Shelbourne you think that their club sponsors should withdraw their funding?
    Okay...

leahyl wrote: »

It will go that way if the Government don't step up to the plate.

Which they won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

scout353 wrote: »
    This is a serious issue ok but blaming schools is, once again, transferring the responsibility away from the home/parent.

Fair enough, showing my age I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

starkid wrote: »
    If FF are right wing, then the US dems and republicans, the Tories and old UK labour are...? Facists perhaps.

US democrats are considered right wing when compared to other European countries. They have a progressive wing, that in any other country would be its own party.

As for the Torys with there voter ID stuff, they have become even more extreme right wing.

The issue here is that the "right" in general have become more and more extreme in the last couple of decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

It is mostly forgotten because society places so little value on her life. A Mongolian woman in her late 40s, working hard to keep her family afloat. Her family will mourn her as any family mourns their loved one, but society won't react in the same numbers if it were an Irish born woman in her 40s working in the civil service.

And also the law not allowing the reporting minor's crimes.

It's sickening, we have a mother of two dead and and the laws are all about protecting the scumbag that did it. Wasnt there 2 deliveroo drivers killed? And also recently a boy stabbed to death, half black if I remember in east wall. No follow up to these crimes but 4 people dead all in our city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Woke Cancel Culture is when someone has the ‘wrong’ opinion or says the wrong thing resulting in hurt feelings. That fella committed a physical assault against a teenage girl. Before cancel culture became a thing it was possible to be fired if you were bringing an organisation into disrepute. ( yes I know he wasn’t working for them). I would prefer those lads are prosecuted but we as a country don’t take young offending seriously.

wes wrote: »
    US democrats are considered right wing when compared to other European countries. They have a progressive wing, that in any other country would be its own party.

As for the Torys with there voter ID stuff, they have become even more extreme right wing.

The issue here is that the "right" in general have become more and more extreme in the last couple of decades.

The Democratic Party is fairly left wing on what Americans call “social justice”.

The issue here is not the right becoming more extreme, it’s young men terrorising young women on a train station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Hellrazer wrote: »
    One of the reasons this goes on is that they are not answerable to anyone - their parents, schools , garda etc.

Just before Christmas I had an incident where my 12 year old daughter was basically assaulted by another pupil in the school resulting in a scar under her eye.

I lost it when I saw her face and ended up ringing the school and telling the principal that Id be waiting out side for this little scumbag and Id deal with it my way and see how hard the little **** is then unless the school immediately expelled this little scumbag for assault - what bloke hits a girl that hard to leave a scar....anyway I ended up in a meeting with the principal who basically said that they`d "talk it through with the pupil in question" and use some wishy washy bull**** to deal with it - the school didnt care one iota about my daughter.

I said I wasnt happy with the way it was being dealt with and then the principal threatens to get me arrested for threatening this student.

Roll on the schools open again and this same students beats the living daylights out of 2 more students.And again they decide to "talk about it" with the student.

Until schools, parents ,garda start coming down on this stuff these teens will continue to assume they are untouchable.

I reckon if Id have had a few "words" with him the second incident would never have happened.

It's almost impossible for a school to expel a student now - just like the judicial system there are so many protections in the Education Act. And they are all for the perpetrator not the victim. Once they are expelled the parents take an appeal and usually win!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Ms. Newbie18

Hellrazer wrote: »
    One of the reasons this goes on is that they are not answerable to anyone - their parents, schools , garda etc.

Just before Christmas I had an incident where my 12 year old daughter was basically assaulted by another pupil in the school resulting in a scar under her eye.

I lost it when I saw her face and ended up ringing the school and telling the principal that Id be waiting out side for this little scumbag and Id deal with it my way and see how hard the little **** is then unless the school immediately expelled this little scumbag for assault - what bloke hits a girl that hard to leave a scar....anyway I ended up in a meeting with the principal who basically said that they`d "talk it through with the pupil in question" and use some wishy washy bull**** to deal with it - the school didnt care one iota about my daughter.

I said I wasnt happy with the way it was being dealt with and then the principal threatens to get me arrested for threatening this student.

Roll on the schools open again and this same students beats the living daylights out of 2 more students.And again they decide to "talk about it" with the student.

Until schools, parents ,garda start coming down on this stuff these teens will continue to assume they are untouchable.

I reckon if Id have had a few "words" with him the second incident would never have happened.

Im sorry that happened to your daughter. The poor girl must be terrified going to school knowing there is no protection. Can you have him charged?? Or is there literally no recourse because of his age?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Annd9

Go look at the comments under a recent tweet by a former player shared by the club . This tweet is a tribute to Alan Keely who tragically passed away last week at 39 years of age . The woke mob highjacked it stating they did it on purpose to get attention , one even saying "**** this guy " low life's .

Regarding Shelbourne's statement , if they even acknowledge that he plays for them they will find themselves in bother for identifying a minor . No win situation really .

Annd9 wrote: »
    Go look at the comments under a recent tweet by a former player shared by the club . This tweet is a tribute to Alan Keely who tragically passed away last week at 39 years of age . The woke mob highjacked it stating they did it on purpose to get attention , one even saying "**** this guy " low life's .

Regarding Shelbourne's statement , if they even acknowledge that he plays for them they will find themselves in bother for identifying a minor . No win situation really .

Are you sure that mob was woke?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Ms. Newbie18

There were incidents in the shops near me last year. A gang of youths staging a smash and grab. About 10 of them would storm the shop and rob/wreck whatever was in their way. They hassled/assaulted and racially abused the young men who worked there. The workers used the panic button to call the police but they took forever to arrive. This happened about 3 separate occasions over a relatively short period of time, I think we were in out 2nd lock-down. Not a single thing happened any of the teens. Locals wanted to name and shame them online but were told they could be charged if they did.

The only way to stop their behavior is to name and shame them along with holding their parents accountable.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

wes wrote: »

Yes thats my point. FF aren't really centre right if you go by the numbers. FG while following a neoliberal housing model also prioritise social spending.

This is the problem, for all intent and purposes none of the parties will touch this as they are all somewhat liberal in scope. Varadkars hard tone a few years back was just guff to placate voters. While the Tories cut police numbers due to being a bunch of cnuts, FF and FG and Irish people in general see Gardai and the like (the army) as a nuisance, and many Irish people including many people from all walks of life and classs, have a mindset of the gardai being like a leftover agency of colonialism one that may only police by consent. Theres absolutely no will to increase it or give the gardai or the judiciary power. Again all because we don't have centre right parties. Parties who would usually be tough on crime, build prisons, arm police etc. The government doesn't just include the ruling coalition. It incorporates opposition, a healthy government needs it. The opposition here and the proportional rep system is just an extreme counter at times, which leads to a never ending example of the horshoe spectrum which leads to loads of back and forth that do nothing. As well as absolute **** shows like the banning of naming of child murder victims. Again because for all intents and purposes Ireland in 2021 is a extremely liberal country with loads of checks and balances.

The issue is too far gone now and its funny that its a huge problem in nearly all the anglosphere countries. Bad things happen elsewhere, maybe even worse crime but tons of teenage scum causing **** with no police presence, particularly in city centres and key sites just doesn't happen. I've seen it first hand. you can rob to your hearts delight on Las Ramblas. Get violent and shouty and your getting your head cracked by the cops. I've been all over small towns in Europe, that element just doesn't exist as theres a visible police presence. Petty, opportunistic Crime etc does, and huge issues in the margins, but mostly not this random clockwork orange element of it. Which is the lesser of two evils? Unfortunately the way we are heading we will now get both elements.

I mean for all intent and purposes Ireland is still relatively safe. and its most likey because we don't have right wing parties marginalizing huge numbers. we're effectively bribing these people to placate them, but in doing that we are encouraging lifestyle entitlement. But the alternative is worse. And the alternative is right of centre. Its still a small enough number but even Marx recognized the lumpenprols were dangerous. I hate these scumbags as well but sometimes i have to catch my hate. A hateful society does no good.

Visible proactive policing. Tagging. Fines. CCTV. Public order offences and litter clean up type things. Education. All key. I love a bit of doxxing but in reality its not the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Recliner

The real problem is how this situation is allowed to arise. Because when a teenager commits minor crimes, there is a soft-touch legal response and they basically have no repercussions for what they do. So is it any wonder that their criminal behaviour is allowed to develop?

I know of one situation currently.
    Damage being caused by youths to a business premises. All caught on camera, youths have been identified. Gardai informed and business owners have just been told to spend money making the business more secure.
    Not even a visit by the guards to the youths, one of whom is a particularly unsavoury character as is his father.
    No repercussions, they'll keep doing what they're doing until they need to get a bigger thrill and damaging property won't be enough for them.
    It would actually boil your blood.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Im sorry that happened to your daughter. The poor girl must be terrified going to school knowing there is no protection. Can you have him charged?? Or is there literally no recourse because of his age?

It will be dealt with by way of "caution" by the garda - in other words nothing will be done - Im currently deciding whether to take a case against the board of management of the school.

Advertisement