Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teenagers with no value for life and no care for repercussions - **Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Floppybits wrote: »
    I still think the driver should have opened the doors to the girls when they first run onto the platform and press the button for the doors and because they didn't open they then had to run past the scumbags to get onto the train. Can you imagine if the trained had pulled off and left the girls on the platform alone on the platform with the scumbags.

If you are too late you miss the train, that’s life. Not the driver’s fault

• Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

starkid wrote: »
    No just another person that wants to see Gardai, somewhere on our main streets.

I agree with that, and I will always agree with it, but placing the blame on the Gardai out doing other jobs, when they're directed to, is what I have the issue with. They can't be everywhere, and as others have pointed out, they spend a lot of time in court, doing filework, or investigating something else. There isn't enough of them, or they're all tied up with something else. Management give the directions for covid/traffic checkpoints, they have to be done too. There's also a myriad of other factors affecting the visibility of Gardai, but it's still the Gardai who get blamed when they're not in a specific place at a specific time while a specific crime is going on. Also, bike theft is far from the top of the important crime list. People can argue with that as much as they want, but that's a fact.

Someone else came on here to say about the Spanish police and how they're extremely visible and take no crap. If the Gardai done the same, there'd be a new thread on here, and reports in all the media, of assaults by Gardai on people "just enjoying themselves". It's a lose/lose job.

Not attacking posters individually here btw. I was a Garda for 9 years so I'm going to take their side on most things, having lived it for that time, it's far from the black and white people want it to be, and I'm even limited in discussing things because of the Official Secrets Act, among plenty of other legislation that could land me in bother. I won't always take the Gardas side mind, every job has pricks.

As for these youths, having tried to deal with similar situations where I was based, you're at nothing. Most will get the juvenile caution, the rest will get probation with the very odd one actually being sent to juvenile detention, which is also limited and by all accounts crap for rehabilitation. The feral youths know this, and know if you lay a hand on them they can sue the state and the Garda will get in bother then. Lose/lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

I agree with that, and I will always agree with it, but placing the blame on the Gardai out doing other jobs, when they're directed to, is what I have the issue with. They can't be everywhere, and as others have pointed out, they spend a lot of time in court, doing filework, or investigating something else. There isn't enough of them, or they're all tied up with something else. Management give the directions for covid/traffic checkpoints, they have to be done too. There's also a myriad of other factors affecting the visibility of Gardai, but it's still the Gardai who get blamed when they're not in a specific place at a specific time while a specific crime is going on. Also, bike theft is far from the top of the important crime list. People can argue with that as much as they want, but that's a fact.

Someone else came on here to say about the Spanish police and how they're extremely visible and take no crap. If the Gardai done the same, there'd be a new thread on here, and reports in all the media, of assaults by Gardai on people "just enjoying themselves". It's a lose/lose job.

Not attacking posters individually here btw. I was a Garda for 9 years so I'm going to take their side on most things, having lived it for that time, it's far from the black and white people want it to be, and I'm even limited in discussing things because of the Official Secrets Act, among plenty of other legislation that could land me in bother. I won't always take the Gardas side mind, every job has pricks.

As for these youths, having tried to deal with similar situations where I was based, you're at nothing. Most will get the juvenile caution, the rest will get probation with the very odd one actually being sent to juvenile detention, which is also limited and by all accounts crap for rehabilitation. The feral youths know this, and know if you lay a hand on them they can sue the state and the Garda will get in bother then. Lose/lose.

I wasn't blaming the gardai.

No one thinks each individual garda wakes up and decides on their daily duties themselves for the day. 'Ah, think I'll sit in the car today with the gun and watch for speeding.'

Most understand they are told what to do. And it's that direction, is the one being questioned here. Presence will be a basic start. More numbers will help.

FTR, a close relative was a member of the gardai all their working life. I have nothing but respect and think it's a very difficult job. I was not attacking them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Pretty sure the kids in the train station video are from the area and nearly everyone works and pays for their house out this way.
    It's a culture we have of yobbishness, getting up to no good, fighting, vandalism etc etc are just things that a lot of our youth get up to and always have. Can you even blame the parents for that? I certainly don't blame mine for getting up to no good as a teen.
    Far worse things than this have occurred in the past, they are quickly forgotten about and nothing ever changes.
    Whta do you mean pays for their house?

As in owns them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Whta do you mean pays for their house?

As in owns them?

No :rolleyes:. his point is that taxpayers fund their house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Suckit wrote: »
    You can see in the Dart station video that they are all getting off the Dart. When the girl falls, there are still at least two others getting off the train with their bikes. I haven't heard of them being in/causing trouble Howth, I thought that was the mistake about the station (Howth Junction).
    I was told very convincingly yesterday that they aren't the same two groups. The guy on top of the car, father died a few years back and has been in a bit of trouble since. Nothing major, but he is not unknown to the Gardai. Two of them on the ground, one that goes around the car are from the same area. The tubby guy in the red (who seems to be the one most assume is the guy in the Dart video), is apparently from a little further out, but not the next town.
    I was told names, but can't remember most of them, not would I put them here, I was just curious if anyone had any information that refutes that?

Going from the locals who have outted them on their social media profiles (they have them on public and being shared widely on whatsapp etc before anyone suggests otherwise again) - they are claiming it's the same gang. I also see from the locals, that the gang have girlfriends who are just as intimidating and menacing to locals and are attempting to 'run the place.'

Locals seem to have had enough and using this as a last straw. Naming and shaming them in the hope something will finally be done from this public outcry. If keeping this heat up, complaining and reporting them will help, we should all do our bit.

It sounds like a really horrible situation, worsened by Covid, schools being off have made this behavior even uglier as these kids are spending even more time with each other - all trying to do outdo and impress each other. The summer holidays will be rough, I feel so sorry for these people and angry on their behalf. This is so wrong.

Whatever about 16,15 year olds, who the hell lets a 13 year old out all night with no supervision or even knowledge of where he is? I'm currently in city centre and see so many very young kids wondering around at all hours with drink in their hand, definitely more of them since schools out from lockdowns. Crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

We have a police service, not a police force and that is at the heart of the matter it would be a huge cultural change for us to have a mainline Europe type police force, it might come about though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Maybe she wants to get a gdrp compo payout in order to offer it to her son's victim by way of redress? Presumably if she takes the case her name will become public and by extension, he son's.

And then there could be delicious Irony of course because then the victim who went under the train could sue THEM for compensation! I've love to see that it would be karmic vengence that any reward they get would be immediately lost to the girl they attacked!
    Pink11 wrote: »
    Here we go:

"Irish Rail investigating ‘unauthorised’ leak of Howth Junction video."

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/irish-rail-investigating-unauthorised-leak-of-howth-junction-video-1.4566708

The family members reaction to the whole thing online and offline is nearly as shocking as the attack itself!

They can investigate of course but at the same time they can't put the blame on anyone without evidence, if the guards were the ones who leaked it then they can't be blamed for this either they can only ask those who might have access to it but without knowing WHO it is that actually leaked it they cant actually do much about it. Besides in all honesty they did everyone a favour by doing so because if what comes out of it is increased security, beefed up Gardai presence and politicians actually being given a goddamn kick up the hole to sort this out it was worth it even if the scrote could potentially get a small payoff. At the very least Irish Rail should turn around and basically have the feckers banned from being on their property with a court order because then if they do turn up and they're found on the property they can do something about it.

Regardless of what happens something is only being done about this because these little shít's were outed as the feral bastards they are and I think at this point were all tired of this toothless limp dick approach to law enforcement around serious crime, even on reddit latest post is that they're dragging someone to court over €4 of cannibas, FOR EURO and yet another case sees a sick ****er with CP getting a suspended sentence. It's just getting tiring to see the law being arseways, these little bastards should be made to do some hard labour and actual work to fix the communities they're smashing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I generally wont blame the guards myself or give them grief over what is an obviously hard job, I say alot of people here know the real problem in all this is that it's the state itself thats become dysfunctional and has underinvested seriously in social services and other supports and this is what's not helping to prevent feral teens and other from running amok.

They need to fix alot of problems in this state, the judiciary is completely out of touch in parts with ridiculously lenient sentences, they need to bring in proper correction facilities for putting away both dangerous criminals and more for taking some of these idiot teens off the streets, at the very least if feral teens are the result of feral parents they need to come down harder on them if they dont clean up their act or ban them out of an area or even a town if they continue with their anti-social ****e. etc

The family reaction over the CCTV is a version of attack as a of defence, its the same as some neighbour telling a parent about what their teenage son is up to, the parent attacks the messenger, or the more reasonable parent knows it's true but how dare the neighbour inform them, they have every intention of dealing with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

Fair enough, you have insight many of us don't. I accept there is tonnes of nuances. I'm on my 10th rewatch of the wire and just finished a second read of Homicide, so look i accept policing isn't black and white (i presume alot of the politics is similar). I'm not blaming individual gardai. Its on the government, the higher ups etc. We have a real lack of visible policing (i'm aware from two friends involved in the gardai and money vans that undercovers do alot of work). But the lack of visible police is hurting us right now. Its undeniable now. And when things get back to normal, can you put that genie back in the bottle. I don't think you can. And it goes to that opposite extreme that i mentioned with Spanish police. Sure we don't want jackboots, but there is a clear thing that happened right with the foundation of our police force. Policing by consent / gaurdians of the peace, under resourced so as perhaps not be over burdened or mistrusted and mis aligned with what went before. Its clearly failing now. Its like the hacking. We are paying for this naivety. I mean its like saying we don't want highrise cause of Ballymun. Why do we need to make false equivalents all the time. I'm mentioning Spain because anytime i've been there i felt safe as i knew there were tonnes of police about. I might get pickpocketed but i know im not getting harassed or assaulted easily unless i go to the very edges. We have people being killed on our main streets and gang fights recorded for minutes without intervention. As i say if we can man checkpoints all over we can have 7-8 gardai patrolling non stop in certain sections of town. Again its for assurance to the public and society in general. A question of optics and real police work. The public support is eroding. All it will take is a real redball and the house of cards will come tumbling. Shane Geoghan had to die for it to change in Limerick. Unfortunately (and sickeningly) a Mongolian cleaner isn't enough in Dublin.

Ireland is a relatively safe country going by the numbers. But i suppose would Ilabek Avetian, Urantsetseg Tserendorj and the countless other victims say this?

In a decade or so i'm convinced we'll be paying for the utter failings we are starting to see, and naive Irish exceptionalism. I'm convinced we'll see a terrorist incident at some stage, and while the ERu say they have a 3 minute response time, it won't matter a jot as the incident will probably be prefaced by the realization by bad actors that Ireland is an easy target due to these issues. We only got CAB and armed police in reaction to serious incidents for example. Rarely is it done proactively. Cost is one thing of course, but another is the clear idea that we don't want our police to be "like that other crowd". At this stage, that type of thinking is utterly stupid. Again its not the Gardai who think like that. I think the HSE hack could be a pivotal moment here in waking us up. The Irish are good craci, and everybody loves us doesn't matter a fig anymore. We're a modern, wealthy western country. Woefully and criminally under resourced in many areas. Housing, policing, health, culture, sports on and on it goes the same arguments etc. Little old Ireland doesn't need this or that. We can somehow do it differently or better.

Also ordinary people are getting really pissed off that accountability and the burden of law and order, and of course taxes and costs always falls on them.

We need to recruit more gardai. And in places where we can easily proactively police wtih visibility we should. We should of course do lots of other things but that isn't the Gardai's responsibility. Fines, tagging, more cctv, more prison spaces, litter detail or public order punishments, a judiciary held to account.

The only reason we are seeing some police patrols is because somebody had the balls to leak this. that is ****ing shameful. If the girl had died, maybe we would have seen a redball (for non wire watchers - US police jargon for a case that draws media and political attention). Who has to sacrifice themselves to see real change? Big busts, and revenue collection won't wash with the public much longer. Its an easy win for FG or FF i have no idea why they don't move on it as i presume it would only get worse under a SF who want to abolish the SCC. Part of the reason they would is around what I mentioned above - the gardai are instruments of the state, and enemies of socialist leaning parties - "we sure as hell can't have a police force armed, well numbered and working against the republic" would be the mindset. Heck even the utterly awful uniform is part of this thinking imo.

I would make the summer holiday shorter and spread the holiday over the year, the lockdown has proved one thing aimless too much time on their hands does not work for teenagers.

It's almost impossible to keep the police service instead of the police force idea going as a concept in large urban areas but that does not mean jackboots exactly
    We need other police services covering trains Darts and to lesser extent buses they would also cover canals, waterways, parks, beaches, green ways recreation areas of all sorts including, for example, the Dublin mountains.

In other words, a police force that covers all areas that attract crowds should have the power to move people on, impound scramblers, and so on.

It would go a long way to helping the situation.

All Garda should have body cameras as well at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Ms. Newbie18

I am based in the city center and quite close to town. I won't go anywhere near the ifsc, town or st Stephens green once it gets dark out because of the gangs all around. Gangs of teens drinking in full view of everyone without fear because there does not be a single guard around. More police visibility and community policing can only help the issue. When the politicians come a calling this will be one of the main concerns I want addressed. I would prefer to see the guards on the streets, then doing traffic stops.

re trains; I know a young girl out in BR college, who got on the train with her classes mates yesterday only to have lads in their 20s (with bikes) shouting abuse (sexual in nature) and harass them while they were going home. They all get off at different stops with the last being on to somewhere over the northside and terrified of what might happen. These are girls 17-25; they shouldn't have to deal with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clytemnestra

I am based in the city center and quite close to town. I won't go anywhere near the ifsc, town or st Stephens green once it gets dark out because of the gangs all around. Gangs of teens drinking in full view of everyone without fear because there does not be a single guard around. More police visibility and community policing can only help the issue. When the politicians come a calling this will be one of the main concerns I want addressed. I would prefer to see the guards on the streets, then doing traffic stops.

re trains; I know a young girl out in BR college, who got on the train with her classes mates yesterday only to have lads in their 20s (with bikes) shouting abuse (sexual in nature) and harass them while they were going home. They all get off at different stops with the last being on to somewhere over the northside and terrified of what might happen. These are girls 17-25; they shouldn't have to deal with that.

The sexual harassment of girls is getting much worse and unlimited access to porn is a major factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

We need a dedicated transport police and they need to be visible on platforms, doing patrol of trains/buses/Luas etc. Bring in legislation with minimum harsh sentences for harassment in a public place. If underage make them spend their school holiday out cleaning parks etc.

The sexual harassment of girls is getting much worse and unlimited access to porn is a major factor.

A lot of Kids and teenagers see hardcore porn as soft core compared to what they look at and laugh.
    Woke parenting = let your kids get their education on the streets and smartphones.

A lot of Kids and teenagers see hardcore porn as soft core compared to what they look at and laugh.
    Woke parenting = let your kids get their education on the streets and smartphones.

What exactly is worke parenting?

If you meant the liberal educated urban middle class, they tend to be very involved parents and very invested in their children.

Sexual harassment in public spaces is a power thing, a desired to have power over women and girls, to upset them make, make them cower, make them afraid.

I agree. I was listen to a radio show a few months ago (98fm I think). They had someone either text in or call up to speak about kids access to porn. The person had a pal who's 10year old kid was acting funny. Dad got hold of the kids phone/ipad and found the the boy had been looking up porn. Quite graphic kink fetish porn. When the Dad questioned the his son apparently that was all they spoke around in school yard. Not Disney or Netflix shows but porn. And if you had not watched the latest you were left out. Boys and girls doing this. They are in primary school!

Mimon wrote: »
    We need a dedicated transport police and they need to be visible on platforms, doing patrol of trains/buses/Luas etc. Bring in legislation with minimum harsh sentences for harassment in a public place. If underage make them spend their school holiday out cleaning parks etc.

Is community service used to punish people anymore?

Im not exactly sure what WOKE parenting is. To me there is a complete naivety combined with lazy parenting when it comes to granting kids phones/ipads etc. The pure amount of people who allow their kids access to the internet without any controls is staggering.

• Advertisement

Mimon wrote: »
    No :rolleyes:. his point is that taxpayers fund their house.

No the area is largely private these days. Mixed anyway.

Im not exactly sure what WOKE parenting is. To me there is a complete naivety combined with lazy parenting when it comes to granting kids phones/ipads etc. The pure amount of people who allow their kids access to the internet without any controls is staggering.

They buy their 10 year olds smartphones to make their own lives easier.
    They don’t even think about restrictions as helpful.
    ‘My child deserves privacy’

• Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The government would want to get the finger out because it's going to be very damaging to Dublin's reputation, business and tourism when things are up running again if these problems are not addressed.

It's an absolute disgrace in a good chunk of the city center at the moment. Forgetting the fact it's grown well dodgy from a safety perspective particularly on the northside, it's a national embarrassment.

When people perceive a city is not safe the damage is already done.

I think they've been given fair warning of what needs to be done by all the articles and programs pointing this out these growing issues in recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

The government would want to get the finger out because it's going to be very damaging to Dublin's reputation, business and tourism when things are up running again if these problems are not addressed.

It's an absolute disgrace in a good chunk of the city center at the moment. Forgetting the fact it's grown well dodgy from a safety perspective particularly on the northside, it's a national embarrassment.

When people perceive a city is not safe the damage is already done.

I think they've been given fair warning of what needs to be done by all the articles and programs pointing this out these growing issues in recent times.

People will scoff but i live in Ballybough end its really noticeable at times, particularly the evenings. Now lets say offices return...who's to say it goes back to normal? Is the genie out of the bottle now? As you say the damage is done i think. The city centre proper, for better or worse is covered in unmixed social housing with all the problems that brings, more than any other city i can think of. Its a real issue.

People will scoff but i live in Ballybough end its really noticeable at times, particularly the evenings. Now lets say offices return...who's to say it goes back to normal? Is the genie out of the bottle now? As you say the damage is done i think. The city centre proper, for better or worse is covered in unmixed social housing with all the problems that brings, more than any other city i can think of. Its a real issue.

I am hoping with things opening back up in the city centre that things will get better re gangs of kids. With so many shops and business shut for good because of Covid, I have a feeling parts of the centre will be like a ghost town, and the gangs will be able to run riot.

If something isn't done my prediction is, as things are now (it might change, I don't think it will because no one that matters seems to care), some unfortunate tourist or visitor is going to arrive in Dublin Airport within the next few months and within a short time of getting off the bus somewhere on the northside, maybe O'Connell St or Talbot St...somewhere like that, is going to be battered to death and those headlines will go around the world.

I think something like that is going to happen.

How much warning do they need? How many incidents have to occur, how much has to happen before there is action to deal with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Tourists have been attacked in Dublin loads of times, it doesn't change the position on policing. I think Dublin was a lot rougher in the 80s and 90s, this thread is a bit sensationalist. It's a very safe city in the grand scheme of things, even if you take into account our unique brand of teenager.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

Beating up an old man with special needs, and filming it.
    Realistically, what can be done with kids like this?

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/teen-filmed-himself-during-stomach-churning-three-day-attack-on-vulnerable-man-1129679.html

• Advertisement

Tourists have been attacked in Dublin loads of times, it doesn't change the position on policing. I think Dublin was a lot rougher in the 80s and 90s, this thread is a bit sensationalist. It's a very safe city in the grand scheme of things, even if you take into account our unique brand of teenager.

I don't think whether it is safe in reality compared to other places is the real question. The question is does it feel safe.

Around O'Connell street and a broad swath from Mary St to Amien Street it just doesn't.

And the main reasons for that are two fold - an ever increasing amount of social housing only in the area and no gardaí.

Effectively it's being turned in to a bigger version of Ballymun with virtually no police to be seen. The consequences of that is you're going to get Ballymun in it's worst heyday right in the center of the city - all the trouble centralised.

It's a mix of feckless planning and policing.

People have to care at the end of the day. This is suppose to be a capital city, it's suppose to be looked after, it's suppose to be safe. It should a place to be proud of.

It's obvious not enough people do care.

Advertisement