Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teenagers with no value for life and no care for repercussions - **Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Saw the news earlier, 2 years is a joke for killing someone. Completely insane sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Imagine the roles were reversed and an Irish worker living in Brazil was killed by a 16 year old scumbag and only got 2 years.

The poor family must have an awful view on Ireland and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Ms. Newbie18

is_that_so wrote: »
    Here's the Louth Chief Super on the possible repercussions of antisocial behaviour. Clearly he believes there is a way to address it.

https://www.lmfm.ie/news/lmfm-news/louths-chief-superintendent-says-parents-will-face-action-over-childrens-antisocial-behavior-in-drogheda/

I had a friend of who lived in council estate and what he speaking of in the audio clip re evictions for criminal & anti social behaviour, those policy are in places years but for whatever reasons they're actioned v rarely.

Esse85 wrote: »
    Imagine the roles were reversed and an Irish worker living in Brazil was killed by a 16 year old scumbag and only got 2 years.

The poor family must have an awful view on Ireland and rightly so.

Their would be uproar here.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭mikekerry

That is sickening. 2 years for the scrote.
    An absolute disgrace.
    What about his accomplices?

• Advertisement

mikekerry wrote: »
    That is sickening. 2 years for the scrote.
    An absolute disgrace.
    What about his accomplices?

They were in the car, not driving it. I got the impression from the initial reporting that he aimed for the cyclist, but the case as brought was just dangerous driving.

2 years and a 5 year driving ban?? I am disgusted. That sham of a judge would not even impose a lifetime driving ban.

He will be sent to nice little reform centre and have his own room, TV, phone and Internet access, days out.

Hardly a deterrent to any other little wanna be gangsters now is it? This isn't going to stop them getting into cars and doing the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

Keep in mind folks, the sentence given today, the next time there's a big talking point re crime or youths.

Keep it in mind re the ongoing Howth Dart Station investigation.

Watch as those youths receive nothing too. And ask, if they were dealt with properly by a courts system, would they have been out gallivanting to commit crime in the first place?

In fact, ask that of any crime. Bar people having the odd slip up once or twice, as humans do, you could nearly bet the majority of crime is committed by people who have been arrested and prosecuted countless times before. Only to be released and do the same all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Get Real wrote: »
    Keep in mind folks, the sentence given today, the next time there's a big talking point re crime or youths.

Keep it in mind re the ongoing Howth Dart Station investigation.

Watch as those youths receive nothing too. And ask, if they were dealt with properly by a courts system, would they have been out gallivanting to commit crime in the first place?

In fact, ask that of any crime. Bar people having the odd slip up once or twice, as humans do, you could nearly bet the majority of crime is committed by people who have been arrested and prosecuted countless times before. Only to be released and do the same all over again.

No party in the Dail wants to tackle it. I mentioned what FG want to do raising the age of criminal responsibility to 24 for some crimes.

That's the so called party of "law and order". So they are out as a solution.

The rest of the parties are even worse. So they are out as well.

So the only option then for the public is a sharp turn to the right in politics.

That's the dice that's being rolled by the current parties.

It's only a matter time before a party comes forward and offers a solution. People will be attracted to that because they see no other alternative.

If the current government came out tomorrow and said enough is enough, here is our plan to toughen things up meaningfully then great.

But they won't. It's an open goal for a party who will.

Our friends in the USA don't get much right in law enforcement, but obliging judges to justify their decisions regularly to the electorate is one of the things they do.

Similarly, I wouldn't support the Garda Commissioner being elected, nor the public having any say in ongoing operational decisions ("Phone 1850 112 013 to vote in favour of shooting the suspect, and 1850 112 014 to vote to arrest him"), but I can't see any reason at all why there can't be an elected Garda Supervisory Board with the power to recommend to the Minister for Justice that she replace the Commissioner, and local Supervisory Boards feeding into that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PunkIPA

Nolan gave a man with no previous convictions a four year sentence today for harassment of the family of another man who owed him money. Serious stuff alright, and a sentence was warranted, but no one was physically hurt as far as I can tell:

https://www.thejournal.ie/jailed-brothers-harassed-family-5443045-May2021/

Imagine giving a little scumbag who took a life half of the sentence you give to someone who caused a family distress for about six months.

The mind boggles that he could actually hand out these sentences on the same day.

The accomplice in the harassment case got two and a half years, basically for just being with the main guy on three occasions.

PunkIPA wrote: »
    Nolan gave a man with no previous convictions a four year sentence today for harassment of the family of another man who owed him money. Serious stuff alright, and a sentence was warranted, but no one was physically hurt as far as I can tell:

https://www.thejournal.ie/jailed-brothers-harassed-family-5443045-May2021/

Imagine giving a little scumbag who took a life half of the sentence you give to someone who caused a family distress for about six months.

The mind boggles that he could actually hand out these sentences on the same day.

The accomplice in the harassment case got two and a half years, basically for just being with the main guy on three occasions.

Harassment is absolutely awful and it is one of those issues that can quickly escalate to violence. In saying that, in no way should they have received a harsher sentence than someone caused the loss of someones life.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

No party in the Dail wants to tackle it. I mentioned what FG want to do raising the age of criminal responsibility to 24 for some crimes.

So the only option then for the public is a sharp turn to the right in politics.

It's only a matter time before a party comes forward and offers a solution. People will be attracted to that because they see no other alternative.

If the current government came out tomorrow and said enough is enough, here is our plan to toughen things up meaningfully then great.

I thought you said you were going out protesting?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

Yeah i even wrote to Michael Martin about this. Its such an easy win. Look at Casey picking up those votes that time for his comments on the certain people (not agreeing or anything).

2 years and a 5 year driving ban?? I am disgusted. That sham of a judge would not even impose a lifetime driving ban.

He will be sent to nice little reform centre and have his own room, TV, phone and Internet access, days out.

Hardly a deterrent to any other little wanna be gangsters now is it? This isn't going to stop them getting into cars and doing the same thing.

You forgot the PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Say what you will about the Progressive Democrats but Michael McDowell did take a hard stance on crime. Regardless of the controversy about Thornton Hall he still wanted to build a prison - add to that how he wanted to modify legislation to improve garda practice and procedure.

We need a modern party to come forward with a similar if not tougher stance on crime and also be forwarding thinking on other matters i.e. Not Renua.

Despite the potential saving of millions in social welfare, legal aid and the likes I don't think that will happen any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,757 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

How has it been allowed that judges are seemingly beyond answering to anyone?
    Their court seems to be their domain and their decisions unquestioned for the most part.

Maybe we need a system where judges are elected by the public and answerable for their sometimes questionable decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,443 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Their court seems to be their domain and their decisions unquestioned for the most part.

Maybe we need a system where judges are elected by the public and answerable for their sometimes questionable decisions.

Bit of History Americana, Federlist No. 78

https://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/fed78.asp

[...] If, then, the courts of justice are to be considered as the bulwarks of a limited Constitution against legislative encroachments, this consideration will afford a strong argument for the permanent tenure of judicial offices, since nothing will contribute so much as this to that independent spirit in the judges which must be essential to the faithful performance of so arduous a duty.

This independence of the judges is equally requisite to guard the Constitution and the rights of individuals from the effects of those ill humors, which the arts of designing men, or the influence of particular conjunctures, sometimes disseminate among the people themselves, and which, though they speedily give place to better information, and more deliberate reflection, have a tendency, in the meantime, to occasion dangerous innovations in the government, and serious oppressions of the minor party in the community.

[...]

That inflexible and uniform adherence to the rights of the Constitution, and of individuals, which we perceive to be indispensable in the courts of justice, can certainly not be expected from judges who hold their offices by a temporary commission. Periodical appointments, however regulated, or by whomsoever made, would, in some way or other, be fatal to their necessary independence. If the power of making them was committed either to the Executive or legislature, there would be danger of an improper complaisance to the branch which possessed it; if to both, there would be an unwillingness to hazard the displeasure of either; if to the people, or to persons chosen by them for the special purpose, there would be too great a disposition to consult popularity, to justify a reliance that nothing would be consulted but the Constitution and the laws.

tldr, SF/FF, whoever in this hypothetical, gets real popular one cycle and sweeps the elections, now the lawmakers, the executive, and the judges all answer to that party first, and the people second.

I think thats a ****ing terrible idea, and fortunately, so did Publius aka. Alexander Hamilton.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

JP Liz V1 wrote:
    Dublin out of control

Pretty normal human behaviour after a year of lockdowns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Wanderer78 wrote: »

I hear Dublin is now deemed more dangerous than Johannesburg and Tijuana combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Jequ0n wrote: »
    I hear Dublin is now deemed more dangerous than Johannesburg and Tijuana combined.

time to grab the beers, and any other mind altering substances that i can find, and head to dublin, theres entertainment to be had there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

time to grab the beers, and any other mind altering substances that i can find, and head to dublin, theres entertainment to be had there

We will see each other in Valhalla again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

One question I would ask though is that is the Judge fully at fault or is he actually being limited by both the charge itself and can only impose so much and by prior precedence?.

Literally the worst idea ever. I bet you voted in favour of that constitutional amendment to give the Dail powers to hold show trials.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Jequ0n wrote: »
    :D You would have got morons like those taxi jumpers acting the maggot every weekend in Dublin pre-covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,649 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You saying the lockdowns are a good excuse for this?

Why isn't the entire country rioting?
    We were all locked down.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Where do they get those grey tracksuit bottoms?
    They seem to be standard issue :pac:

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    You saying the lockdowns are a good excuse for this?

Why isn't the entire country rioting?
    We were all locked down.

He always supports criminal degenerate behaviour, supports being soft on crime and loves social welfare. He's easy to predict once you realise this.

Advertisement