Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teenagers with no value for life and no care for repercussions - **Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

NIMAN wrote: »
    Crime is in all major cities, people claiming European capitals have no crime are just trying their best to make Dublin sound bad.

I have been in parts of Barcelona, Madrid, Paris, Amsterdam, Milan that I didn't feel safe in.

You see though, “parts of” isn’t the same as city center, main streets. Barcelona pickpockets operate everywhere. However try assaulting somebody or jumping on a taxi in Barcelona’s Main Street. I’ve seen the response with my own 2 eyes. Same in Paris, police are absolutely everywhere.

Only last night I saw two Garda vans parked off in Newcomen bridge by Marino college. In any of those cities you’ve mentioned the fact is those vans are in the equivalent of o Connell street. But no big bad gardai can’t be seen in the main streets. Before that I Spent a total of 12 hours over the weekend across 2 days walking Dublin, worst parts of ballybough to south side. Guess how many Garda I saw. 0. And that’s regular I work as a photographer crossing the city for hours. It’s beyond a joke and something needs to be done here.

Comments like yours are enabling this culture.

Here’s a good article summing it up.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/judge-criticises-extraordinarily-rare-presence-of-garda%C3%AD-on-the-streets-1.3660270 in most cities a unit of police stays in one central area. That isn’t happening here.

We’ve fluked it so far. No terrorism, no reputational damage, relatively safe.

The tides turning. Jarvis st video gone viral as Asian racism, huge numbers of assaults and I’m starting to see very dodgy characters. Saw a crazy Somali lad the other day ranting and pacing in town, to me it’s inevitable we’ll get an attack.

It’s such an easy fix and as we saw with that bellend Casey speaking out against crime, it’s an easy win politically. It’s extraordinary nobody is going after it. SF’s core base so will only get worse if they get into power. If you don’t believe me try to find Mary Lou speaking about any of the recent killings in her constituency.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

Floppybits wrote: »
    Hang on are you saying that the Gardai are now telling people to sort out the problems themselves? Are the Gardai now only carrying out certain duties such as tax and insurance checks but leaving ordinary people to sort out the other issues themselves?

Rinse and repeat, at least try bring up new information. Deaths on the road are going one direction because of the actions of the Garda, you want them to stop doing that and turn the roads into a s**t show as well?

Ordinary people wanted poor wee Jonnie left alone, sure his family is lovely. Damn right, sort your own mess out...why should a Garda on low wages have to deal with abuse, threats and getting spit on by a group only too willing to record and complain about them

Look at your own post, complaining about the Garda doing their job....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Floppybits

ineedeuro wrote: »
    Rinse and repeat, at least try bring up new information. Deaths on the road are going one direction because of the actions of the Garda, you want them to stop doing that and turn the roads into a s**t show as well?

Ordinary people wanted poor wee Jonnie left alone, sure his family is lovely. Damn right, sort your own mess out...why should a Garda on low wages have to deal with abuse, threats and getting spit on by a group only too willing to record and complain about them

Look at your own post, complaining about the Garda doing their job....

Sol what you are saying outside of managing road safety then it is a free for all. I will criticise the Gardai when they are too heavy handed and that was what they were. As usual with everything in this country a hammer is taken to crack a nut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

Sure there was people claiming that job- bridge programme was akin to slavery . They got an extra 50 quid on their scratcher for doing a few hours work a week .
    Not forgetting private companies got staff for free, well free to them. Tax payer took it in the ear.

A great little country.

Sure everyone loves the Irish blah blah.

Coming home to roost now.

Pandering and giving everything to people who have no interest in acting civil and contributing to society.

Now we have parties calling for a right to housing to be enshrined into the constitution.

Jesus its no wonder Ireland is the way it is.

What's coming home to roost? Is this one of those situations were things are terrible but could be worse if we don't behave and stay the course?

So things as they are are fine, but calls for changes such as housing is causing the problems?
    Putting them in leased apartments most of us can't afford will teach them, right?
    Things are terrible so lets not change a thing?
    Give over.

"Jesus its no wonder Ireland is the way it is."

• Advertisement

Shebean wrote: »
    What's coming home to roost? Is this one of those situations were things are terrible but could be worse if we don't behave and stay the course?

So things as they are are fine, but calls for changes such as housing is causing the problems?
    Putting them in leased apartments most of us can't afford will teach them, right?
    Give over.

Housing is not the issue. The issue is bad parents and the current trend of giving huge amounts of money to people who have no interest in working or adding to society.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fawlty682

Teenagers hanging around, antisocial behaviour is tolerated in Ireland, and people say ‘Sure we were all young’. We were but I cannot remember unprovoked assaults, damaging property, wanton vandalism etc by teenagers Abroad, centres of capital cities are not populated by these kids. Poor police presence, soft justice system. I think it was in the 80s, age of a young person was changed from under 16 to under 18. I am amused when I hear of 17 year olds described as children, when they carry firearms and knives often. It’s an unfortunate vision of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Thread is TLDR, but for me the #1 thing we are doing wrong here is the Gardai are underfunded, understaffed and often want to be liked. The Gardai and parents need to start taking their roles seriously. There was a video on Social Media of lads kicking the crap out of each other on O'Connell Street - not a Garda in sight. This is the main street in our capital city, it is lucky that there was no tourists in the area to witness it.
    The Gardai need to start enforcing laws, they need more numbers but we need our Gardai to be feared, not loved. This is not a popularity contest.

Thread is TLDR, but for me the #1 thing we are doing wrong here is the Gardai are underfunded, understaffed and often want to be liked. The Gardai and parents need to start taking their roles seriously. There was a video on Social Media of lads kicking the crap out of each other on O'Connell Street - not a Garda in sight. This is the main street in our capital city, it is lucky that there was no tourists in the area to witness it.
    The Gardai need to start enforcing laws, they need more numbers but we need our Gardai to be feared, not loved. This is not a popularity contest.

I agree....but the first time a Garda lays the law down you will have up roar. SO unless the public change it is pointless hiring any new Garda because they still wont be able to do their jobs....

The time has come for them just to batter the living daylights out of a lot of lads.

Also need to build a new jail to throw a lot of them into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

NIMAN wrote: »
    Crime is in all major cities, people claiming European capitals have no crime are just trying their best to make Dublin sound bad.

I have been in parts of Barcelona, Madrid, Paris, Amsterdam, Milan that I didn't feel safe in.

Exactly this.

Dublin is an absolute cake walk compared to parts of Europe i've visited and don't get me started on South America or America itself some real hellholes.

For the most part all we have is a few feral undernourished kids running around acting the bollox that the Gardai need to crack down on but either aren't willing or able.

• Advertisement

Housing is not the issue. The issue is bad parents and the current trend of giving huge amounts of money to people who have no interest in working or adding to society.

Agreed, trying to crowbar in a party political broadcast on housing was a bit much.
    Current trend? What are you talking about? I agree the parents play a role but what do you mean, who is getting huge amounts of money for choosing not to work? You're just throwing up well worn one liners.

These people are always around. Because of covid they are looking to gather. It's a game to them. The Garda should come down like a ton of bricks.

A taxi driver on the radio earlier saying he was stopped at lights and they danced on his roof and bonnet and a Garda car drove by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I agree....but the first time a Garda lays the law down you will have up roar. SO unless the public change it is pointless hiring any new Garda because they still wont be able to do their jobs....

The time has come for them just to batter the living daylights out of a lot of lads.

Also need to build a new jail to throw a lot of them into it.

Well I don't want them to start battering the living daylights out of people, but enforcing the laws that exist is a good start. I don't think its in anybody's interest for Gardai to start abusing their power. But stricter policing is required.

I would also add, I think any kid arrested the other night(s) should be sent out to clean up the streets with DCC for a number of weeks, see what they contributed to. We can't just say "ah poor little pet, he's had it hard" because they'll never learn if that's the best we can do.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

The new Irish don't seem to have a problem either, kicking the crap out of each other during the day in the centre of Dublin .

https://twitter.com/dubslife1/status/1401881725727301638?s=20

I don't get why people highlight when black people knock lumps out of each other and then pretend to be outraged by it.

People, whether they're black, white, green, pink or blue, kick the **** out of each other all the time.

Why is there a need to focus on the skin colour/ethnicity when non-white people do it? It genuinely astounds me.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

fawlty682 wrote: »
    Teenagers hanging around, antisocial behaviour is tolerated in Ireland, and people say ‘Sure we were all young’. We were but I cannot remember unprovoked assaults, damaging property, wanton vandalism etc by teenagers Abroad, centres of capital cities are not populated by these kids. Poor police presence, soft justice system. I think it was in the 80s, age of a young person was changed from under 16 to under 18. I am amused when I hear of 17 year olds described as children, when they carry firearms and knives often. It’s an unfortunate vision of Dublin.

Molly coddling the 16-18 year olds is an ongoing issue. We are discussing giving 16year olds the right to vote but also at the same time not treating them like adults in relation to criminal responsibility.
    Part of this is that it's easier to send them to Juvenile Diversion than to courts and the outcome is the same (no real punishment).
    A proper diversion programme would be fine but would need them to do proper community support work, supervised cleaning etc... and refusal would mean immediate detention.
    All fines should be taken at source when issued and tagging of scrotes who continuously take part in anti social behaviour should be the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

Faugheen wrote: »
    I don't get why people highlight when black people knock lumps out of each other and then pretend to be outraged by it.

People, whether they're black, white, green, pink or blue, kick the **** out of each other all the time.

Why is there a need to focus on the skin colour/ethnicity when non-white people do it? It genuinely astounds me.

I have to agree with you here. It certainly is quite an astounding thing to be doing but there must be some enjoyment or thrill there at some level to be doing it consistently? At the end of the day it's a forum and we have to respect the rights of each poster to post and engage in dialogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

And the current call for more social housing in the city centre to house the offspring of these absent parents isn't exactly going to instill a need to improve their life.

They have been told constantly it's not their fault that x y z has happened, removing all personal responsibility and worth. Why try when you constantly told the system is rigged against you.

And yes, I realise that is an over the top generalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Give over.

"Jesus its no wonder Ireland is the way it is."

Maybe if their parents and themselves had the mindset that if they don't work hard in school and in life they won't get a house handed to them by the government with all the benefits and trimmings, it might focus them and put them on a better path.

Telling them everyone is entitled to a house regardless and our social welfare system will look after them no matter what gives a massive sense of entitlement and lack of personal responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,119 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

What do you want the Garda to do? they kids and druggies etc know the Garda can do nothing against them. They are on sh*t wages and if they did decide to do anything about it you would have a load of people with phones recording them and onto Joe within the hour to get everyone fired.

At this stage the Garda are right, you made your own mess you fix it. Why would they risk their lives? everyone else created the problem and now its "Oh Garda you fix but you can't fix it by doing anything negative"

Ahhh do their job maybe?

What do you think Garda should be doing? Eating Breakfast rolls all day or something ?

Ahhh do their job maybe?

What do you think Garda should be doing? Eating Breakfast rolls all day or something ?

They do their job, for the civilised part of ireland, people that give them respect. Why should a Garda risk his/her life for some low life just to a complaint if they retaliate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

They do their job, for the civilised part of ireland, people that give them respect. Why should a Garda risk his/her life for some low life just to a complaint if they retaliate

Doesn't make sense. If they are not dealing with low lifes as you call them how can they be protecting ordinary people?

• Advertisement

Mimon wrote: »
    Doesn't make sense. If they are not dealing with low lifes as you call them how can they be protecting ordinary people?

The thread is about youths, so let the rest of the do gooders in the country look after it

Let’s see how long they come crying to the Garda, maybe then then Garda can attack the problem without a shower of plonkers on phones recording

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Telling them everyone is entitled to a house regardless and our social welfare system will look after them no matter what gives a massive sense of entitlement and lack of personal responsibility.
    Unfortunately there is no other way. Wise people logic will be just to keep as far as possible from them, especially that it will escalate for sure. Cant see other solution - just gain as much wealth as possible to protect yourself and your family/friends instead of trying to fix "them".

Risk their life? Its a few teenagers not the Colombian Drug Cartel

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

starkid wrote: »

The tides turning. Jarvis st video gone viral as Asian racism, huge numbers of assaults and I’m starting to see very dodgy characters. Saw a crazy Somali lad the other day ranting and pacing in town, to me it’s inevitable we’ll get an attack.

I wish people would stop painting any negative interaction between people of different races as racism.

That incident was a scraw bag being refused entry to their shop because he had no mask on which he obviously didn't like so threatened violence with.

It would have happened even if the shop owner was Irish. Scraw are equal opportunity knackers who like to threaten people regardless of their race.

Delighted he got knocked TF out.

Risk their life? Its a few teenagers not the Colombian Drug Cartel

Tell that to the woman one of them killed in the ifsc

Maybe if their parents and themselves had the mindset that if they don't work hard in school and in life they won't get a house handed to them by the government with all the benefits and trimmings, it might focus them and put them on a better path.

I was having trouble connecting what went on over the weekend with "parties calling for a right to housing to be enshrined into the constitution".

If things are bad it's because of what has and is happening now. Not because of any proposed policies but because of the policies we have.

Our social welfare system doesn't look after everyone no matter what.

Right now, today, they are more likely to get handed a leased apartment in a well to do neighbourhood than a council house in an estate in a burb.

We had a bunch of louts with something to do of a long weekend. I don't think if they lived in a council house in Tallaght or a Dun Laoghaire council leased luxury apartment they'd behave any differently.

More of the same for spite won't help.
    As someone suggested they should be court ordered to clean up the place. I'd go further and put culprits under curfew.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

There is crime everywhere pal thankfully incidents like that are few and far between.

Dublin overall is very safe indeed.

Agreed, trying to crowbar in a party political broadcast on housing was a bit much.
    Current trend? What are you talking about? I agree the parents play a role but what do you mean, who is getting huge amounts of money for choosing not to work? You're just throwing up well worn one liners.

These people are always around. Because of covid they are looking to gather. It's a game to them. The Garda should come down like a ton of bricks.

A taxi driver on the radio earlier saying he was stopped at lights and they danced on his roof and bonnet and a Garda car drove by.

That was a video doing the WhatsApp rounds yesterday, no point trying to make out it was today to that a Garda car drove past, I would say the majority of the country see the video, they would have also seen the Garda arrest a girl for doing something similar

Dublin was always going to be a sh*those yesterday with the pubs open, hence why anyone who had a choice got as far away as possible

Talk about changing the goalposts.

Well done, you got your hero moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Talk about changing the goalposts.

Well done, you got your hero moment

I’m sure the overall point is that plenty of these toe-rags carry knives and just don’t give a f*ck in general.

Advertisement