Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teenagers with no value for life and no care for repercussions - **Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’ve never encountered a roving gang in the numbers we’ve witnessed, attacking people, in other videos jumping on cars, kicking cars, harassing people and being a general menacing and dangerous presence on our streets...

If it was worse ? Should we use that fact as a basis for not being outraged by what we are seeing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Strumms wrote: »
    I’ve never encountered a roving gang in the numbers we’ve witnessed, attacking people, in other videos jumping on cars, kicking cars, harassing people and being a general menacing and dangerous presence on our streets...

If it was worse ? Should we use that fact as a basis for not being outraged by what we are seeing ?

There was joyriding and robbed cars all over the place. I know at least twice our family car was robbed, they never got very far with it though. People were getting battered to death and assaulted back then too, I can think of a few different horrible cases including one quite close to me.
    Kids dropping rocks off bridges onto trains was a thing, I'd always see it in the Northside People. I was on a bus in Glasnevin once and a big rock came through the window and covered me in glass. I was held up with a syringe in the 90s, I know my brother and his mate were too.

I just am a bit perplexed like people are talking as if Dublin is getting much worse and going to the dogs. It was always a bit rough, but in my opinion it was a lot rougher back in the day. You just didn't see every skirmish in town on social media. There was absolute killings in Dublin every weekend in the 90s, it just doesn't seem to be much of a thing now.
    I for one think it's actually getting better and the kids aren't as rough as they used to be.

There was joyriding and robbed cars all over the place. I know at least twice our family car was robbed, they never got very far with it though. People were getting battered to death and assaulted back then too, I can think of a few different horrible cases including one quite close to me.
    Kids dropping rocks off bridges onto trains was a thing, I'd always see it in the Northside People. I was on a bus in Glasnevin once and a big rock came through the window and covered me in glass. I was held up with a syringe in the 90s, I know my brother and his mate were too.

I just am a bit perplexed like people are talking as if Dublin is getting much worse and going to the dogs. It was always a bit rough, but in my opinion it was a lot rougher back in the day. You just didn't see every skirmish in town on social media. There was absolute killings in Dublin every weekend in the 90s, it just doesn't seem to be much of a thing now.
    I for one think it's actually getting better and the kids aren't as rough as they used to be.

It’s worse now that there are seemingly roving gangs, indiscriminately attacking businesses, members of the public and cars in broad daylight.

Nobody is saying it was perfect but the regularity, malevolence, and sheer numbers that these creeps are operating in certainly hasn’t been a thing...

It’s worse now that there are seemingly roving gangs, indiscriminately attacking businesses, members of the public and cars in broad daylight.

Nobody is saying it was perfect but the regularity, malevolence, and sheer numbers that these creeps are operating in certainly hasn’t been a thing...

These things were happening in the past too. Cars used to get ambushed in Sheriff St, so much so cars couldn't even drive down there, I remember a news report about this in what must have been the early or mid 90s.
    I remember being at that Beat on the Street thing 2FM used to do, and hordes of scumbag youngfellas would show up and start fighting etc.
    This is all standard behaviour in Dublin!

We're not going to agree but I think it has improved.

this annoys me too :) that and this ' sure its not as bad as Medellin or
    South Central LA, we be grand, just a few kid getting up to no good.'

To be honest, I couldnt give two fks whats its like in any other country.
    I and some of my family live in this one. We would like to have better standards not just for ourselves, but for everyone. We would like to feel safe on the streets, would like to be able to go out and have dinner in the city center without being worried about either getting attacked or caught up in something.
    Would be nice to see a large police presence in the city center, Id feel better seeing more police, than gangs of feral scum ruining it for everyone. They dont have to be on every street corner, but by jaysus, twould be nice to see them on some of the busy streets, in particular after the rough few weeks in the city center. I honestly dont think its too much to ask for, that as citizens we can't feel safe.
    :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Floppybits

These things were happening in the past too. Cars used to get ambushed in Sheriff St, so much so cars couldn't even drive down there, I remember a news report about this in what must have been the early or mid 90s.
    I remember being at that Beat on the Street thing 2FM used to do, and hordes of scumbag youngfellas would show up and start fighting etc.
    This is all standard behaviour in Dublin!

We're not going to agree but I think it has improved.

I don't know if it has improved. I remember being in town in the 90's and you could walk from temple bar up to Harcourt street with no hassle. Infact you could do that right up to lock down not sure whether you could do it now though. I also remember in the 90's being able to walking from temple bar out to fairview out by Amiens street and never ever getting any hassle along the way and that would be at 3am. Not sure if that would be the case now.

I always found that if you kept yourself to yourself that you were left alone and those looking for trouble there was always someone looking to reciprocate but it was not on the level of violence there is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Jake1 wrote: »

I and some of my family live in this one. We would like to have better standards not just for ourselves, but for everyone. We would like to feel safe on the streets, would like to be able to go out and have dinner in the city center without being worried about either getting attacked or caught up in something.
    Would be nice to see a large police presence in the city center, Id feel better seeing more police, than gangs of feral scum ruining it for everyone. They dont have to be on every street corner, but by jaysus, twould be nice to see them on some of the busy streets, in particular after the rough few weeks in the city center. I honestly dont think its too much to ask for, that as citizens we can't feel safe.
    :(

The city centre especially the northside from Amiens street up to Mary street needs to regenerated. It has been totally neglected by DCC and the government and it needs to be improved to make it a more inviting place. What O'Connell street has been allowed to become is a disgrace.

Floppybits wrote: »
    I don't know if it has improved. I remember being in town in the 90's and you could walk from temple bar up to Harcourt street with no hassle. Infact you could do that right up to lock down not sure whether you could do it now though. I also remember in the 90's being able to walking from temple bar out to fairview out by Amiens street and never ever getting any hassle along the way and that would be at 3am. Not sure if that would be the case now.

I always found that if you kept yourself to yourself that you were left alone and those looking for trouble there was always someone looking to reciprocate but it was not on the level of violence there is now.

I must live in a different city because I've probably done that 100s of times over the last few years and never had any trouble

I must live in a different city because I've probably done that 100s of times over the last few years and never had any trouble

You must really, because the news stories about violent incidents in the city center are saying different. The videos we see are saying different. Is it fake news ?

Oh I was making the point that it used to be even worse, not comparing it to another country.
    We are only a couple of generations from extreme poverty especially in the city centre of Dublin which was one of the worst slums in Europe. The grandparents and great grandparents of people housed in these flats in town now and in Sheriff St etc were originally living in all kinds of slums that were literally falling down.
    We never had the riches and boulevards of rich European countries, so it's not going to turn into Vienna overnight. As opportunities improve and we become more prosperous though we seem to be developing as a society, even though we still have scumbags, I think things are on the up.
    Others seem to think it's getting worse but I disagree.

• Advertisement

You must really, because the news stories about violent incidents in the city center are saying different. The videos we see are saying different. Is it fake news ?

But these things have always happened, you have the added social media clips, like a few kids jumping on a car, big deal really, no one was hurt but the outrage over it is ridiculous.

I know no other city centre probably in the world at this stage has gangs of kids going around hassling people, but people are stabbed and beaten up in all cities, just not in city centres as much as here, but they don't have the roughest housing estates right in the centre like we do.

Oh I was making the point that it used to be even worse, not comparing it to another country.
    We are only a couple of generations from extreme poverty especially in the city centre of Dublin which was one of the worst slums in Europe. The grandparents and great grandparents of people housed in these flats in town now and in Sheriff St etc were originally living in all kinds of slums that were literally falling down.
    We never had the riches and boulevards of rich European countries, so it's not going to turn into Vienna overnight. As opportunities improve and we become more prosperous though we seem to be developing as a society, even though we still have scumbags, I think things are on the up.
    Others seem to think it's getting worse but I disagree.

I lived in brigids gardens in sherrif street, nothing you can tell me about it, been there done that :)

I disagree with you though TM< I think its a lot worse. I think there is a viciousness to the young people now. I walked home down the quays around the boundarie wall, amiens street , all over that area, I did see fights the odd time, but they kept it amongst themselves for the most part. Now you darent even look over the side of the street. Back in the day, people said goodnight to you as you were walking those areas and into the flats, thats all youd hear ' Niee, Niee, nite ad god bless Josie/Sadie etc etc

You might feel safe, but you have to appreciate, that not everyone feels safe. Another thing , if youre known in the inner city, no one will touch, you may be well known? For the ordinary Joe?josephine soap not know would probably get a bit of bother, whereas you wouldnt? You probably know how to handle yourself better.
    But we should all be able to walk wherever in the city, it belongs to all of us. look at the boardwalk for jaze sake? I seen a woman take her pants down and have a crap on there, in the daytime. They are opely sellng gear on the seating, same down further, along merchants quay. You can see them on the pipe and on the needle, and theres more and more of them every year.

City is a ****hole. We need better, we deserve better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Dublin City Council are too busy painting rainbow flags on roads...maybe if they put that money into inner city housing things would be a little better.

I lived in brigids gardens in sherrif street, nothing you can tell me about it, been there done that :)

I disagree with you though TM< I think its a lot worse. I think there is a viciousness to the young people now. I walked home down the quays around the boundarie wall, amiens street , all over that area, I did see fights the odd time, but they kept it amongst themselves for the most part. Now you darent even look over the side of the street. Back in the day, people said goodnight to you as you were walking those areas and into the flats, thats all youd hear ' Niee, Niee, nite ad god bless Josie/Sadie etc etc

You might feel safe, but you have to appreciate, that not everyone feels safe. Another thing , if youre known in the inner city, no one will touch, you may be well known? For the ordinary Joe?josephine soap not know would probably get a bit of bother, whereas you wouldnt? You probably know how to handle yourself better.
    But we should all be able to walk wherever in the city, it belongs to all of us. look at the boardwalk for jaze sake? I seen a woman take her pants down and have a crap on there, in the daytime. They are opely sellng gear on the seating, same down further, along merchants quay. You can see them on the pipe and on the needle, and theres more and more of them every year.

City is a ****hole. We need better, we deserve better.

Are you from around there? I had schoolfriends from there in the 90s, I would go to their houses sometimes and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as it was made out to be, but it had been redeveloped by then. I also had been going out with a girl that lived on Mayor St and would always go through Sheriff St to get there until we split last year. There would be gangs of kids around but they were always around there and never gave me any sh*t.

No no one knows me and I haven't been in a fight in years but yes I'm a tall enough big enough bloke so I probably wouldn't be the type to target, but I don't anyone who's ever had any trouble including friends that live right in the city centre.
    The heroin thing is bad yes, but that's a huge social problem and those people need help not to be looked down upon. I never found the addicts to be any bother anyway, the time I was held up with a syringe I think they were just scumbags pretending to have a syringe I never even saw it.

You have to remember that every generation thinks the next one is totally awful and disrespectful compared to their generation, that can make people's opinions biased too.

Nozebleed wrote: »
    Dublin City Council are too busy painting rainbow flags on roads...maybe if they put that money into inner city housing things would be a little better.

Sure they knocked down the flats in sherrfer and bulit all new apartments and houses?? Marys mansions was refurbished, 23 million that cost. Ballybough flats, same, they were knocked down and new apartments and houses built.
    Theres a lot of decent housing in the inner city to be fair. Not saying there is enough, but they have done something and money has been spent, is my point. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Nozebleed wrote: »

Family’s lived in tenements two to a floor and didn’t behave like what we are seeing now

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

It is interesting to see twitter blow up on this.

"When will justice be served"

You'd think all this stuff was only recent.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    And people wonder why bystanders wont intervene.

You’ll get stabbed or arrested is the likelihood...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Sure they knocked down the flats in sherrfer and bulit all new apartments and houses?? Marys mansions was refurbished, 23 million that cost. Ballybough flats, same, they were knocked down and new apartments and houses built.
    Theres a lot of decent housing in the inner city to be fair. Not saying there is enough, but they have done something and money has been spent, is my point. :)

Yeah but is the problem the housing or certain tenants? You can change the bricks and mortar but not the people inside as one Ballymun resident told me a while back on that regeneration. Ergo same problems, new apartments.

They weren't saying there has been no improvement in Ballymun btw but it takes more than new apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's a mixture of certain tenants and circumstances. It always was.

My folks lived for a while in Fatima. When they moved in in the 60's the place was fine. By the 70's it had become like a scene from Beirut. Drugs had begun to be imported into the country courtesy of Larry Dunne and many places in Dublin had descended into hell holes due to the children of the older tenants getting mixed up with it and having nothing else to do due to a rising unemployment rate.

Once that type of thing gets hold, it's incredibly difficult to deal with. The folks were lucky enough to be able to get out and buy something elsewhere. Many weren't.

With regards to Ballymun, if you see old pictures of it, it looked like a modern (for the time) housing complex. But again, by the 70's, it was one of the places that had succumbed to the drug problem that would a plague in Dublin.

Make no mistake, Larry Dunne and shit that would come after him in the 80's are responsible for many of the problems that Dublin and the rest of the country would have to deal with in terms criminal scumbaggery and the general common or garden scumbag too. Those scumbags have children and the cycle more or less continues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Tony EH wrote: »

With regards to Ballymun, if you see old pictures of it, it looked like a modern (for the time) housing complex.

Like many good ideas at first glance in this country, done half arsed.

No facilities, only one lift and the heating couldn't be independently adjusted in your flat.

Like many good ideas at first glance in this country, done half arsed.

No facilities, only one lift and the heating couldn't be independently adjusted in your flat.

That’s mad about the heating... facilities ? Were there any ? There were parks, a swimming pool, shopping center, a couple of pubs.. bout it from the outside looking in.

The flats alone housed 17,000 people I’m reading... the population of clonmel in 7 towers... Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Are you from around there? I had schoolfriends from there in the 90s, I would go to their houses sometimes and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as it was made out to be, but it had been redeveloped by then. I also had been going out with a girl that lived on Mayor St and would always go through Sheriff St to get there until we split last year. There would be gangs of kids around but they were always around there and never gave me any sh*t.

No no one knows me and I haven't been in a fight in years but yes I'm a tall enough big enough bloke so I probably wouldn't be the type to target, but I don't anyone who's ever had any trouble including friends that live right in the city centre.
    The heroin thing is bad yes, but that's a huge social problem and those people need help not to be looked down upon. I never found the addicts to be any bother anyway, the time I was held up with a syringe I think they were just scumbags pretending to have a syringe I never even saw it.

You have to remember that every generation thinks the next one is totally awful and disrespectful compared to their generation, that can make people's opinions biased too.

This is excuse after excuse after excuse.

Lillyfae wrote: »
    This is excuse after excuse after excuse.

I can't see me excusing anything in that post

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭mattser

Nor me either. Some people only see what they want to see. Your post was excellent btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

Innuendo, pub talk and presumptions rule the roost around these parts. You were talking the truth here and sadly the truth is a threat to the perceived narrative.

I got held up with a syringe but I didn’t actually see a syringe?

I got held up with a syringe but I didn’t actually see a syringe?

yeah, 2 blokes came up to me and my mate and said that had a "gizmo" on them and to hand over our money but I never saw any kind of syringe or weapon. Only time I heard it referred to as that.
    You said I was making excuses in the other post, excuses for who or what?

yeah, 2 blokes came up to me and my mate and said that had a "gizmo" on them and to hand over our money but I never saw any kind of syringe or weapon. Only time I heard it referred to as that.
    You said I was making excuses in the other post, excuses for who or what?

I never get hassled but I’m a big guy

• Advertisement

I never get hassled but I’m a big guy

Sorry you've lost me.

Advertisement