Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAM - where to buy these days?

Options
  • 05-05-2021 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Quick question where is the best place to buy RAM chips these days, I appreciate there's a global shortage.

Seek a 16/32 GB upgrade. Crucial.com would have been my usual source but they're annoying me by selling things that aren't actually ready to ship.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

athlone573 wrote: »
    Quick question where is the best place to buy RAM chips these days, I appreciate there's a global shortage.

Seek a 16/32 GB upgrade. Crucial.com would have been my usual source but they're annoying me by selling things that aren't actually ready to ship.

RAM isn't in a bad spot TBH

What's the platform - DDR3 or DDR4?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,349 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I was just about to start a similar thread. Looking for ddr4 sodimm for a laptop upgrade..

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

Same. Ddr4 laptop ram.not in a mad rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 randomlad1337

Plenty of ddr4 ram in stock in amazon uk

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Confused11811

Amazon UK probably still the easiest and most hassle-free option. Make sure it's either sold by Amazon or fulfilled by Amazon. Free shipping will most likely be available, Amazon will do all the tax and customs which in reality add very little to the advertised cost. Pay in pounds, don't use amazons built in currency converter.

• Advertisement

For anyone interested here is what I did :

Used the configurator on the Crucial website to figure out what sort of RAM modules are compatible (all this talk of Cache Latency, Frequency, Channels etc gets confusing)

Copy pasted the reference numbers onto the Amazon UK website

Found that the 2-pack I wanted wasn't in stock but I could buy 2 singles of the exact same type (which hopefully should be fine, not like shoes where you buy a right and a left)

Arriving in 2 days.

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

This is in the sticky http://www.shop4memory.com/about-us/

Can't vouch for it myself personally though.

This is in the sticky http://www.shop4memory.com/about-us/

Can't vouch for it myself personally though.

Yeah I think I bought from that guy before,decent enough but he must find it tough competing with Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,023 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Likewise. Been sitting on 8GB for a while now but thinking of upgrading to 16GB.
    DDR3. But wondering is there an issue using 2 different brands/models of RAM as the ones I have are no longer available and I could just buy another 8, or would I be as well to just buy 16GB and replace the 8GB I have? Probably not much difference in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

From what I remember from basic hardware education, there's no issue putting in two different kinds of ram (assuming they're both compatible standalone of course)
    As for whether it's worth it depends what the price difference is. If it's not much different then getting a new kit sounds reasonable but if you've found a compatible, cheap 8GB stick running at same/higher speeds to your current RAM then there's really no harm in just buying that. Whatever is the slowest RAM is what the system will use.

Apparently upping RAM is one of the most significant and noticeable ways to improving a system's performance and longevity. I've not a clue how you managed with 8GB this long if it's your main computer. I'm getting 32 soon as I consistently max out @ 16.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

• Registered Users Posts: 29,023 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Hmm, seems it does. I have 4 slots of 2 different colours.
    Looking back at when I got the parts for this, motherboard was 2013 and 8320 was same time. RAM was 2014. So all have lasted me a while

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

memoryc.ie is also an option especially for power banks as you can't get them from the UK due to the battery

memory of different types will revert to the speed of the slowest stick

Advertisement