Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a Hobbit Home

Options
  • 05-05-2021 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I'm building a hobbit home on my mams land in the Midlands, only costing 20k and don't need planning permission because its technically underground.. I implore you all to do the same

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭selassie

Ruxon wrote: »
    I'm building a hobbit home on my mams land in the Midlands, only costing 20k and don't need planning permission because its technically underground.. I implore you all to do the same

Build two and Airbnb the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Ruxon

selassie wrote: »

Good idea, we already have a yurt and a livesized version of the living space from the motion picture "the Martian"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Thread split from 2021 Irish Property Market chat

• Subscribers Posts: 41,586 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It requires planning permission

What you are doing is illegal

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

sydthebeat wrote: »

Ah syd....

:D

If he sticks his lawnmower in it sure it's just a fancy shed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I'll set Gandalf on to you....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

selassie wrote:

I'm not sure if there are that many Hobbit tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭wench

But I don't know where your mam lives...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,140 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I think it is as simple as giving the council a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

One ring to rule them all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I think its a great idea.
    I know someone who had a steep hill at the back of his house.
    They built up the garden to a normal level at the back door but whilo they were doing it the whole garden was made into a giant basement.
    No planning and its been there about 15 years.
    Its like a cinema inside. Many a drunken night watching movies and sports in there.
    They sold the house a couple of years ago though. I would love to own something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

It requires planning permission. End of.

By all means go ahead with it if you are OK with running the risk of being court ordered to demolish it again and restore the field to its prior condition.

except we all know that won't happen, because planning authorities are absolutely toothless and unwilling to force you to do it if you put up enough resistance. Look at that house up in Meath or Westmeath where a guy build a McMansion after being refused permission. Several visits to the high court later, he just flat out refuses to get rid of it and there is no consequences.

So, by right you do need planning permission. However, as with anything in Ireland, if you have enough brazen neck and sheer arrogance, you can pretty much get away with anything you want because the authorities here are all bark and no bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

It requires planning permission. End of.

By all means go ahead with it if you are OK with running the risk of being court ordered to demolish it again and restore the field to its prior condition.

except we all know that won't happen, because planning authorities are absolutely toothless and unwilling to force you to do it if you put up enough resistance. Look at that house up in Meath or Westmeath where a guy build a McMansion after being refused permission. Several visits to the high court later, he just flat out refuses to get rid of it and there is no consequences.

So, by right you do need planning permission. However, as with anything in Ireland, if you have enough brazen neck and sheer arrogance, you can pretty much get away with anything you want because the authorities here are all bark and no bite.

That house I was talking about has had it done and has been sold too and the planning never came up as a problem at all.
    Ive seen cinemas smaller than that basement.
    It must have been 30ft wide and 40ft long easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You do need planning permission. Thread closed as it is only going to be discussing illegal activities

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement