Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad interview anxiety

Options
  • 05-05-2021 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I had an interview last Friday and my nerves got the better of me despite being extra prepared. The interview was for a local government position and disappointingly but not surprising I only placed 12th on the panel. The interview was over zoom and I remember practising breathing exercises in the minutes leading up to the interview. This didn't work though as I lost my train of taught and had to pause for a minute halfway through the interview. It seemed that the panel overlooked this, despite me appearing extremely nervous. The only thing that kinda got me back on track was a bottle of water beside me, that I drank from after each question/answer. I am desperate to improve and get rid of this issue altogether, please help. This is holding me back big time. It has been happening since 2017 and I have had only 3 interviews since I made a hash out of them all.

Things I tried that didn't make any difference.

* Breathing techniques
    * Being prepared (Helped in the interview, not with nervousness)
    * Trying to see the interview panel as "only human"
    and the interview as 2only a chat."
    *Exercise before the interview.
    *CBD oil (Yeah I was desprate!) :D

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Dublin Lad2021

Hi all,

I had an interview last Friday and my nerves got the better of me despite being extra prepared. The interview was for a local government position and disappointingly but not surprising I only placed 12th on the panel. The interview was over zoom and I remember practising breathing exercises in the minutes leading up to the interview. This didn't work though as I lost my train of taught and had to pause for a minute halfway through the interview. It seemed that the panel overlooked this, despite me appearing extremely nervous. The only thing that kinda got me back on track was a bottle of water beside me, that I drank from after each question/answer. I am desperate to improve and get rid of this issue altogether, please help. This is holding me back big time. It has been happening since 2017 and I have had only 3 interviews since I made a hash out of them all.

Things I tried that didn't make any difference.

* Breathing techniques
    * Being prepared (Helped in the interview, not with nervousness)
    * Trying to see the interview panel as "only human"
    and the interview as 2only a chat."
    *Exercise before the interview.
    *CBD oil (Yeah I was desprate!) :D

Thanks in advance.

Hi OP,

Sorry about your nerves, I don't know about your age/experience and sector you're hoping to work in but I find I do the best interviews when I'm interviewing regularly. Honestly there's nothing to be nervous of, the interviewers want to hire you, they don't want to have to do more interviews.
    Feel free to use the water bottle it sounds like it works and helps you get composed and another techniques like asking them to repeat the question etc.

I see from your post you mentioned being put on a panel, public sector interviews for me are definitely a lot more daunting and unenjoyable than normal interviews.

I don't think there's any magic formula we can give you it's just one of those things people go through, you can try work with like a career coach if you feel you need it but apart from that I don't know what to tell you I'm afraid, hope it works out though

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭rtron

A friend gave me great advice once, that there is a rigmarole to interviews the questions are usually the same and the more interviews you the better you become at answering them and less nervous you become.
    Ensure to have rehearsed answers for all the question types, say them out loud to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭someyoke

Second most of the above- alot of it comes down to experience. More interviews you do more comfortable you'll get. If you could line up a few in a week it's ideal as your mind almost adjusts to the stress, you'll find yourself repeating same spiel but will get more relaxed doing it.

Have someone in your family or close friend hit you with practice questions. It's a bit cringe but does work.
    Also have bullet points ready for each line of the job spec. Usually helps with nerves to read through them just prior to interview.

Crack a light-hearted joke to break the tension!
    Alot of employers like to see aspects of your personality shining through

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

You never come across as nervous as you think you look

You will not be the first person they have seen who is a bit nervous and they wont hold it against you - don't overthink it

Practice/exposure helps a lot, ask some mates or colleagues to do mock interviews with you, get them to make them hard as they can

Don't be afraid to pause to collect yourself, or ask them to repeat/rephrase the question so you can gather yourself.

Try not to invest too much emotionally into the process

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭The boarder

Hey op.

I was similar, had interviews for same role with different local authorities. Didn't make the cut in 2, but went to an interview coach which really helped with mock interviews. Also good for asking about interviews. Things that were putting me off and over thinkibg answers. Would Highley recommend in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

I have sat on both sides of the interview table over the years. Believe me, there is usually more bluffing coming from the interviewers than the interviewees.
    It really helps to know that because it reduces the power imbalance to a large extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

it might sound counter intuitive but the best way to get rid of nerves is to adopt the mindset that you dont give a ****.

like you are only nervous because this is something you want. if you dont care, you will speak freely...just dont speak too freely!

CBT could be an idea if its an on going issue with your career but very expensive.

another thing i would do is try to organize interviews for early in the morning so you dont spend the day dwelling. get up and do it essentially.

you can also do training interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

It's really about practice.

You need to practice so much you feel confident.

This means literal days of practicing questions and answers, preparing scenarios, etc.

Some anxiety is normal but when you've practised so much you feel it's "easy", your anxiety levels will be much lower.

Think of the first time you drove your car versus now. You don't even think about it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Join a toastmasters club. They all operate on zoom and huge amount of public speaking opportunities and tips on improvement. Ideal for interview situations

They also have zoom learning modules.

It's about €100 or less for a year and a very social atmosphere in most clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Darc19 wrote: »
    Join a toastmasters club. They all operate on zoom and huge amount of public speaking opportunities and tips on improvement. Ideal for interview situations

Great advice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I have been interviewing recently (as the interviewer) and I find we usually expect a normal level of anxiety. It's normal to be anxious. When I interview (as the interviewee) I try to remember this as it helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

I have sat on both sides of the interview table over the years. Believe me, there is usually more bluffing coming from the interviewers than the interviewees.
    It really helps to know that because it reduces the power imbalance to a large extent.

This, I was always very nervous being interviewed until the first time I was the interviewer and I realised I was just as nervous. And then when I attended the group review afterwards I realised most people interviewing hadn't a clue what they were talking about.

Made the next time I was being interviewed much less stressful.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi OP,

Sorry about your nerves, I don't know about your age/experience and sector you're hoping to work in but I find I do the best interviews when I'm interviewing regularly. Honestly there's nothing to be nervous of, the interviewers want to hire you, they don't want to have to do more interviews.
    Feel free to use the water bottle it sounds like it works and helps you get composed and another techniques like asking them to repeat the question etc.

I see from your post you mentioned being put on a panel, public sector interviews for me are definitely a lot more daunting and unenjoyable than normal interviews.

I don't think there's any magic formula we can give you it's just one of those things people go through, you can try to work with like a career coach if you feel you need it but apart from that I don't know what to tell you I'm afraid, hope it works out though

Hi, Dublin Lad, The position was for a traffic warden with a local government authority. Not the nicest positions as far as some people would be concerned. However, it would have been ideal for a change of career which is what I am trying to achieve. I'm sick to the teeth of what I am currently doing, so applying for public sector roles is what I am currently doing. Alas, I am not having much success at all.

Yes, indeed. Placing 12th was a kick in the teeth, but you just have to take what you get. I may be called, may not.. It's impossible to know. It was a three people panel and I just kind of felt that I do be scrutinised.

No magic formula or wand at all, unfortunately. However, your advice is fantastic and I appreciate it! I think a life couch is a good call! My issue is, I could do anything in everyday life or talk to anyone. Just when it comes to interviews it's a massive barrier.. Thank you, appreciate your input. :)

rtron wrote: »
    A friend gave me great advice once, that there is a rigmarole to interviews the questions are usually the same and the more interviews you the better you become at answering them and less nervous you become.
    Ensure to have rehearsed answers for all the question types, say them out loud to yourself.

This is also a good piece of advice. Putting me in that position could certainly enable me to build confidence. I did have a lot of points learned for this position and I forgot some of the stuff as the nerves took over. Which I was absolutly kicking myself about. But what can be done now? Not a lot. Thanks for the advice I hadn't considered even doing interviews, which would be one of the more logical solutions. Thank you!

someyoke wrote: »
    Second most of the above- alot of it comes down to experience. More interviews you do more comfortable you'll get. If you could line up a few in a week it's ideal as your mind almost adjusts to the stress, you'll find yourself repeating same spiel but will get more relaxed doing it.

Again, I think this is also good advice. As I said I have only done 3 interviews since 2017. So that's not a lot at all.. So it's no surprise that I am very nervous.. I will definitely look into doing more interviews in the coming weeks/months.
    Have someone in your family or close friend hit you with practice questions. It's a bit cringe but does work.

Hadn't considered this at all. Cringy indeed, but I wouldn't worry about that at all. Anything that helps is most certainly worth a try.
    Also have bullet points ready for each line of the job spec. Usually helps with nerves to read through them just prior to interview.

I did implement this to a certain extent, I felt that trying to learn off sentences wouldn't work so I learned certain buzz words and built sentences around these words. The nerves caused me to forget some points though unfortunately.
    Crack a light-hearted joke to break the tension!
    A lot of employers like to see aspects of your personality shining through

This I didn't even consider, although now that you mention it. It's so true. The panel is only human at the end of the day. Thank you! :)

You never come across as nervous as you think you look

You will not be the first person they have seen who is a bit nervous and they wont hold it against you - don't overthink it

Practice/exposure helps a lot, ask some mates or colleagues to do mock interviews with you, get them to make them hard as they can

Don't be afraid to pause to collect yourself, or ask them to repeat/rephrase the question so you can gather yourself.

Try not to invest too much emotionally into the process

This is worth considering. It's what held me back and is why I am overthinking the whole interview since. I'm gradually getting over it now though.

My problem is that I'm nervous with people I don't know. I do start to relax over time though. It takes about 50 minutes to an hour though. Although that's no use when an interview only lasts 30-40minutes max. The mock interviews would probably be very benifital though. As I said I needed to stop as I became so nervous and this was due to forgetting what I was saying and the way I was directing my point. I'll remember this, thank you!

Hey op.

I was similar, had interviews for same role with different local authorities. Didn't make the cut in 2, but went to an interview coach which really helped with mock interviews. Also good for asking about interviews. Things that were putting me off and over thinkibg answers. Would Highley recommend in the future.

It's not easy! I will research career coaches in my area and go from there. Thank you! :)

ELM327 wrote: »
    I have been interviewing recently (as the interviewer) and I find we usually expect a normal level of anxiety. It's normal to be anxious. When I interview (as the interviewee) I try to remember this as it helps!
    Smee_Again wrote: »
    This, I was always very nervous being interviewed until the first time I was the interviewer and I realised I was just as nervous. And then when I attended the group review afterwards I realised most people interviewing hadn't a clue what they were talking about.

Made the next time I was being interviewed much less stressful.

These are very interesting points! It's something that didn't even cross my mind! As everything is just done so professionally from their side. Thanks, folks! :)

it might sound counter intuitive but the best way to get rid of nerves is to adopt the mindset that you dont give a ****.

like you are only nervous because this is something you want. if you dont care, you will speak freely...just dont speak too freely!

CBT could be an idea if its an on going issue with your career but very expensive.

another thing i would do is try to organize interviews for early in the morning so you dont spend the day dwelling. get up and do it essentially.

you can also do training interviews.

Another great point! It was something that I wanted so badly. I was desperate for this position. So that's something to keep in mind going forward.

CBT is something that I researched and would definitely be an option also going forward! I will also look into the mock interviews. Thanks you! :)

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    It's really about practice.

You need to practice so much you feel confident.

This means literal days of practicing questions and answers, preparing scenarios, etc.

Some anxiety is normal but when you've practised so much you feel it's "easy", your anxiety levels will be much lower.

Think of the first time you drove your car versus now. You don't even think about it now.

I spoke to my brother about this issue also and he gave me that same example of driving and not being nervous about driving now. You're right though, I think doing some interviews is another great idea. As it'll put me in that same situation and the only thing that will (hopefully) happen is that I adjust to the situation. Thank you! :)

• Advertisement

Darc19 wrote: »

I'll look into this definitely. I think there is a club local to me also. I must google it to see what exactly is involved in the club! Thank you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,575 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

rtron wrote: »

Decent advice there.
    I’ve had interviewees say you front to excuse them being very nervous, but this position is very important to me.

Personally I always try to see past nerves in an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

With alot of PS interview advertisements there is a name provided of someone you can speak to for informal enquiries. Its a good idea to speak to that person - it gives you a better sense as to what the role is actually about, outside of the (IMO) jumbled and incomprehensible wishlist that acts as a job specification.
    By speaking to the person in charge, who would be your senior manager in most cases, you can tailor your answers to what they're looking for in reality.
    Reddit also has some good posts on common Competency Based Interview questions and good answers. I'd recommend having 2 or 3 scenarios per competency - so thats, what, 6-8 decent answers in your repetoire. Having them and knowing them will give you some confidence too.
    Lastly, I'd also suggest a look on Udemy for interview technique short courses. You'll pick one up for about 10 quid and could give you some mental framing and tips to prepare yourself better.

When you start off in your career, interviews are huge, HUGE! If you get called on a Friday for an interview on Monday, you'll think of nothing else all weekend.

However, as time goes by, especially when you have done some interviewing yourself, you see it as very much a normal thing. The interviewer will not give the interview much thought, some even only start thinking about it minutes in advance.

Someone mentioned above the importance of learning off answers to regular questions (buy an interview prep book - I once reviewed one for ACCA years ago, and found it good). To calm my nerves (and I'd still do it now out of habit) is write a mnemonic for a general question'...

'Tell us what you found interesting about this role that you applied for it.'

I like working in the Outdoors.
    I feel like I'd be helping the city keep Moving.
    I like having Targets to achieve, it helps me focus.

You could then rearrange into TOM.

If I was nervous before an interview - I'd go through one or two general questions and remember the mnemonic and say the sentence for each. I found concentrating on this pre interview (rather than, will the interviewer like me, is that them coming to call me) helped me keep calm.

Good luck

_Brian wrote: »
    Decent advice there.
    I’ve had interviewees say you front to excuse them being very nervous, but this position is very important to me.

Personally I always try to see past nerves in an interview.

I don't similar to that.

At the end of the interview, when they asked if I had any questions. I said "I don't, however, I would just like to say. If I was lucky enough to be selected for this position. I would carry out my duties with integrity and I feel I would be a valuable member of the team.." I also thanked them for the interview also.

I could word it to what you have though! :)

As I said though, the nerves caused me to forget stuff also that I intended to say which was so annoying.. Thanks for your advice though.

Diceicle wrote: »
    With alot of PS interview advertisements there is a name provided of someone you can speak to for informal enquiries. Its a good idea to speak to that person - it gives you a better sense as to what the role is actually about, outside of the (IMO) jumbled and incomprehensible wishlist that acts as a job specification.
    By speaking to the person in charge, who would be your senior manager in most cases, you can tailor your answers to what they're looking for in reality.

I see what you're saying. I did meet with someone who was a traffic warden in this particular county that the position was advertised. I'd imagine that helped me to a certain degree in the interview.
    Reddit also has some good posts on common Competency Based Interview questions and good answers. I'd recommend having 2 or 3 scenarios per competency - so thats, what, 6-8 decent answers in your repetoire. Having them and knowing them will give you some confidence too.

I have started this alright! This is a great way of knowing the companies off by hart and I'm sure they can be altered if I was to change role in the private sector. Until I secured a public secture role.
    Lastly, I'd also suggest a look on Udemy for interview technique short courses. You'll pick one up for about 10 quid and could give you some mental framing and tips to prepare yourself better.

I looked on Udemy there! It seems like a good site and I'll decide on an interview techniques course in time. Thanks for the advice. :)

When you start off in your career, interviews are huge, HUGE! If you get called on a Friday for an interview on Monday, you'll think of nothing else all weekend.

I wasn't going to mention this here in this thread, however, it's eating away at me. So I can't not say it anymore:

- The thought of not being in a career currently, is killing me.. Never mind the interview. I am 28 working in a dead-end min wage job, since shortly after graduating. I have envisioned myself in some (I apply for a few each year) public sector role since graduating in 2017, in a career I no longer care for.

Lately, I have become so disheartened, being placed 12th on the local authority panel (I mentioned above) was so disappointing. I feel like my life is going by and I am nowhere near where I wanted/intended to be at this stage. Way behind infact. To someone in their 40's ,50's or more, they may think what I am saying is ridiculous. However, it's something that is on my mind a lot lately. :( It's just disappointing to me.
    However, as time goes by, especially when you have done some interviewing yourself, you see it as very much a normal thing. The interviewer will not give the interview much thought, some even only start thinking about it minutes in advance.

You're right though! I do need practice. I guess I could apply to public sector roles, simply for the practice if nothing else.
    Someone mentioned above the importance of learning off answers to regular questions (buy an interview prep book - I once reviewed one for ACCA years ago, and found it good). To calm my nerves (and I'd still do it now out of habit) is write a mnemonic for a general question'...

'Tell us what you found interesting about this role that you applied for it.'

I like working in the Outdoors.
    I feel like I'd be helping the city keep Moving.
    I like having Targets to achieve, it helps me focus.

You could then rearrange into TOM.

If I was nervous before an interview - I'd go through one or two general questions and remember the mnemonic and say the sentence for each. I found concentrating on this pre interview (rather than, will the interviewer like me, is that them coming to call me) helped me keep calm.

Good luck

I will look into the interview prep book! I think that will be so beneficial. I implemented mnemonic's for some of the stuff in my last interview. But when the nerves take over I forget some of the stuff. The mnemonics were very beneficial for the stuff that I actually remembered though! Thanks for your advice though.

I wasn't going to mention this here in this thread, however, it's eating away at me. So I can't not say it anymore:

- The thought of not being in a career currently, is killing me.. Never mind the interview. I am 28 working in a dead-end min wage job, since shortly after graduating. I have envisioned myself in some (I apply for a few each year) public sector role since graduating in 2017, in a career I no longer care for.

Lately, I have become so disheartened, being placed 12th on the local authority panel (I mentioned above) was so disappointing. I feel like my life is going by and I am nowhere near where I wanted/intended to be at this stage. Way behind infact. To someone in their 40's ,50's or more, they may think what I am saying is ridiculous. However, it's something that is on my mind a lot lately. :( It's just disappointing to me.

You're right though! I do need practice. I guess I could apply to public sector roles, simply for the practice if nothing else.

I will look into the interview prep book! I think that will be so beneficial. I implemented mnemonic's for some of the stuff in my last interview. But when the nerves take over I forget some of the stuff. The mnemonics were very beneficial for the stuff that I actually remembered though! Thanks for your advice though.

What were you studying until 2017?

Remember, you're getting called for interview, this means the panel thinks you can do the job (that's what being called for interview means), but they will look for the best of the qualified candidates.

The more you feel out of control (life going by) the more important the interview comes, and the more nervous the process becomes.

I think you're right, apply for as many of the jobs you like (public and private), and you'll hopefully get called for so many interviews, you'll be like, oh, not another one - 'that's 3 I have in the next 2 weeks' and then they don't become that big of a deal.

Can I ask where a you are based, Dublin or a region? BTW, set up an account (a new one) and post under that rather than a guest post (BTW, there's nothing to be embarrassed about here) and you'll get faster responses. We're here to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Holiday21

Do lots and lots of interviews!
    Real ones!
    For jobs that you like but don't think you have a chance. This allows you to adopt a relaxed attitude while learning "on the job".

If you fluff them who cares?
    Do your competency based interview training like an earlier poster said.
    Each interview will give you more confidence. You're not emotionally invested in them. They're just a learning experience.
    Obviously prepare for them properly.
    It's really good training for when you see the job you love.
    And ask for feedback after every interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,575 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Had a guy chap come in for interview in what looked like his confirmation suit with the tie so tight he looked like he was choking.

I said he could take off the jacket and tie if he wanted, he was delighted, relaxed and did a great interview, worked for me for years afterwards, it was actually his brothers suit as he couldn’t afford his own and the mother insisted he wore it.

My point being wear something comfortable, your under enough pressure, and my own rule is unless your day to day role in the job requires a suit don’t be wearing one to the interview, smart casual is sufficient.

Advertisement