Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

200 people celebrate a wedding in Longford.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

€3000 for food from a local chipper, no wonder they die young.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Gardai need to be bodycammed up going in to situations like this, when they are challenged with being heavy handed they can supply the footage of what actually happened for all to see.
    I still can't believe that isn't done here, it seems mad.
    They have been on the cards for years
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/garda-body-cameras-likely-to-be-used-only-in-potential-confrontations-1.4547228

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Darc19 wrote: »
    He's been bleating on for years and this is probably the first time he has spoken against a group of travellers.

One swallow has never made a summer.

On the other hand, yes it's a breach, yes it's two fingers to decent people, but does the rag Indo really need to have it top story since yesterday.

Imagine paying a subscription to read such gutter journalism

im no fan of his , i just said he didnt make excuses , hopefully this is not a once off

Martin Collins looked like a man in despair, he had run out of excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Here's the crux of the problem.

From the Times article:
    Larger Traveller families and the prioritisation of “cultural values” within the community can make adherence to public guidelines for funerals more difficult, she said.

There you have it folks - They prioritise their "cultural values" over the law, health guidelines, the safety of themselves - their own families and the general public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

We need to take a "body count" to put it unfortunately blunt. How many people have died because travellers refuse to follow the rules. They are constantly entering supermarkets refusing to wear masks and get aggressive when confronted. Parties , weddings, funerals all full steam ahead. Probably 10% of all deaths are due to travellers in Ireland . So 500 dead due to travellers and I'm probably grossly underestimating.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

dor843088 wrote: »
    We need to take a "body count" to put it unfortunately blunt. How many people have died because travellers refuse to follow the rules. They are constantly entering supermarkets refusing to wear masks and get aggressive when confronted. Parties , weddings, funerals all full steam ahead. Probably 10% of all deaths are due to travellers in Ireland . So 500 dead due to travellers and I'm probably grossly underestimating.

Where have you plucked those figures from?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It would be great if the court case was live streamed on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It would be great if the court case was live streamed on Monday.

I'd wager the couple already gone on honeymoon regardless and perhaps in spite of travel restrictions.

I predict a low key hearing, if the accused bother to turn up, crocodile tears will be in full flow. Gardai knowing full well proceedings are pointless will present a muted case for prosecution. Judge will tone the rhetoric in order to avoid accusations of discrimination etc, probably a gentle ticking off etc etc and it will all be forgotten, of course until another incident (give it a few days etc) and same old initial shock, horror outrage, followed by the same response again which is, quietly Bury the story and do absolutely nothing about these ongoing and all too often 2 finger salutes.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

So the Marquee provider has been named, take note of his recent settlement with Revenue.

You couldn't make this up :)

https://m.independent.ie/news/im-more-than-sorry-saysmarqueeowner-after-120-attend-longford-wedding-party-40393941.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,788 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Dempo1 wrote: »
    So the Marquee provider has been named, take note of his recent settlement with Revenue.

You couldn't make this up :)

https://m.independent.ie/news/im-more-than-sorry-saysmarqueeowner-after-120-attend-longford-wedding-party-40393941.html

How the **** does a person who works in a filling station accrue a debt to the IR of €87,000?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

I'd wager the couple already gone on honeymoon regardless and perhaps in spite of travel restrictions.

I predict a low key hearing, if the accused bother to turn up, crocodile tears will be in full flow. Gardai knowing full well proceedings are pointless will present a muted case for prosecution. Judge will tone the rhetoric in order to avoid accusations of discrimination etc, probably a gentle ticking off etc etc and it will all be forgotten, of course until another incident (give it a few days etc) and same old initial shock, horror outrage, followed by the same response again which is, quietly Bury the story and do absolutely nothing about these ongoing and all too often 2 finger salutes.

All plamas and smoking mirrors when it comes to our ethnic friends,tax payer will foot the court bill no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Panrich wrote: »
    No thought whatsoever about all the guests who had to ask for a day off work.

Love it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

everlast75 wrote: »
    How the **** does a person who works in a filling station accrue a debt to the IR of €87,000?

Filling station job / paye, to look legit as a person for revenue, marquee rental business on the side, cash in hand, the story that he didn't own the marquee when it was used at a funeral is a bit sus, probably forgot to lodge that cash

Do the Maths, he clearly couldn't :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Breach of a court is no ticking off matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Wrong thread

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

irishgeo wrote: »
    Breach of a court is no ticking off matter.

I would agree for most people but not so much
    if you've a cultural entitlement, look at previous court appearances regarding similar matters, how did they go exactly? They don't give a S**** and know well in advance any sanction will be gentle so as not to cause to much angst

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

dor843088 wrote: »

Threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

Necro wrote: »
    Threadbanned

Quoted from rte news.... "(The superintendent) said gardaí had no power to stop people entering the event as those attending entered through a halting site."

What does that mean? If I have a huge party in my back garden with access to it being via my front garden, does that mean the gardai are powerless to break it up should I choose not to comply?

• Advertisement

According to the news this morning, the newly weds and both sets of parents are to be questioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,649 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

According to the news this morning, the newly weds and both sets of parents are to be questioned.

Big deal, what will be done then?

They will get a fine which they won't pay. And cost us all as they are all granted legal aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

In the 2016 Census, 80.2% of Travellers were unemployed, 11% of whom said it was due to a disability. Where do they get the money for a wedding like this and a €3000 chipper bill? You don't have to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭garrettod

In the 2016 Census, 80.2% of Travellers were unemployed, 11% of whom said it was due to a disability. Where do they get the money for a wedding like this and a €3000 chipper bill? You don't have to answer.

We don't have to answer - but the individuals in question, should be made to answer those questions!

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭garrettod

The way the travelling community gets away with continously doing whateverdfuk they want, really ticks be off.

If they want to live on this island, they should have to abide by the same rules and standards, as the rest of us.

Thanks,

G.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

A honeymoon behind bars for a few days might send a strong message. To be honest, that's what is needed now.
    I was due to get married in 2020, postponed until 2021, and now just postponed until next year again because I do want friends and family around and I want us to have a party. So I'll wait until we are all vaccinated and venues are open again.

We also had the option of going ahead just ourselves if we wanted. Not what we had planned but for many who's culture or religious beliefs are important to them, they could do that and throw a massive party in a years time. Yeah it sucks a bit, but you can postpone a wedding, you can't postpone a funeral.

If the authorities don't come down hard on this public health breach, it's just telling everyone else that they can too. So expect more of these super-spreader events. And if all the travellers are doing it, then why shouldn't the rest of us who wanted our wedding day throw up a marquee and factor in the fine as a wedding expense?

I live in a town with a large traveller population. During that very brief warm spell I was driving past several houses to go get groceries and they were having full on massive parties. But if you were a Garda would you risk getting a career-ending injury from getting piled on in a crowd resisting arrest or contracting covid to intervene when you know that if it even gets as far as a judge, they walk free with a slap on the wrist and a fine they say they can't afford to pay.

So I really hope this judge isn't all bluster and does prosecute the bride and groom, and whoever else was involved in the planning of the reception.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,788 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I suspect the Inland Revenue and or Criminal Assets Bureau would like that answer too...

It was a member of the travelling community who spat in my face giving me coronavirus back in January. The lack of respect people from this community had towards health care professionals over and over again in hospital is astounding.

On a different occassion when I was working in Manchester, a member of the travelling community was in hospital. We have single rooms for patients who are risk infections/ being palliated. Anyway a neanderthal friend/cousin of the traveller tried to intimidate the family of the patient who was being palliated to give the room to his cousin.

First thing he done when the family refused was to cry racism to nurse managers.

It just boggles the mind how out of touch these people are with civilised healthcare rules and guidance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

The wider issue here can never be addressed until crime statistics are released. At the moment, they won’t release them on public policy grounds. However, I can assure you all they are quite shocking to read, or to some of you, not at all shocking.

There is a very good reason why “Not a single frontline Garda surveyed on attitudes towards Travellers had a favourable view of the community”. Either every single frontline Garda is racist, or there really is a crime problem within the Traveller community.

Source

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

They're Revenue figures so in many cases they'll just pluck a ballpark number from the sky guessing at how many events the marquee was used for.
    If you say ten they'll say twenty. They know you're going to lie to them but they get an idea of how busy you are from Facebook / Website posts etc. They'll ring you for a quote before they ever approach you.
    Probably owed 40 grand or so but with penalties and interest it mounts up pretty quickly.

Advertisement