Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

200 people celebrate a wedding in Longford.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Shield wrote: »
    The wider issue here can never be addressed until crime statistics are released. At the moment, they won’t release them on public policy grounds. However, I can assure you all they are quite shocking to read, or to some of you, not at all shocking.

There is a very good reason why “Not a single frontline Garda surveyed on attitudes towards Travellers had a favourable view of the community”. Either every single frontline Garda is racist, or there really is a crime problem within the Traveller community.

Source

Back in the day as one might say the travelling community provided a number of services in a way, tinkers etc.

These days we only get the negative sides - and given that education and a brighter future are not really high in the priority list (generalisation of course) - the best tools we have (education and prospects) cannot be utilised to change the culture.

I used to play Handball with a bunch of older settled lads and they were grand, sure there was differences in view points but they were decent chaps all told. But even they would admit the generation below them was on a bad path.

That said they did not seem to have any interest in forcing that path to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Things are going to get way worse before they get better

travellers are a lucrative industry , beit the legal profession or the QUANGO sector who earn a living portraying travellers as eternal victims , there are good career opportunities to be had from this freak show of a culture.

then you have the opportunities which money cannot buy , the opportunities for media and academia to virtue signal and wag their fingers at middle ireland about how " we oppress this vulnerable community "

you cant put a price on middle class smug self satisfaction

• Registered Users Posts: 86,757 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

€3000 for food from a local chipper, no wonder they die young.

Was it prepaid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Was it prepaid?

In cash and he spat on his hand as he offered it to close the deal no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Personally, the people who did this being travelers doesn't really matter, but what does matter is how blatant they were (i don't think I have seen anyone violate a court order vis a vi restrictions.). It really beggars belief.

We have had instances of people violating restrictions, but I don't think I have seen one quite as blatant as this, basically sticking there fingers up at restrictions that are designed to save lives. It is profoundly disrespectful to all the doctors, nurses etc who have sacrificed so much fighting this virus.

The people who attended and organized this event need to made an example of, for just how blatant this was. Fines need to be given out, and jail time for the organizers and people who provided facilities and catering for the event.

We are getting close to the end of this in Ireland, just a few more months and these types of events can be held again safely. This kind of behavior puts us all in danger at such a crucial time, when we are so close to slowly and safely reopening the country. Sadly the stupidity and selfishness of a small minority of people can easily put this in danger, and we need to show people who engage in such behavior that there will be consequences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

My interactions over the years with members of the travelling community has been positive. The disregard of public health in this instance and the lack of consequences from other illegal activities have effectively elevated elements of this minority to mob status.

One of the right solutions would be to evaluate the underlying reasons for this behaviour, put appropriate measures and constructs in place that would both protect the self-identity while educating for future generations.

wes wrote: »
    We are getting close to the end of this in Ireland, just a few more months

I hear the next two weeks are critical. #HoldFirm #FlattenTheCurve

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

b0nk1e wrote: »

Yeah its annoying to keep hearing this, but some people clearly need reminding, it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭abff

This whole thing has become primarily about the fact that the people concerned are travellers. This should be irrelevant to any discussion on what punishment is appropriate for those involved.

Do we know if there actually will be a court hearing on Monday? All the article says is that the judge says that he is prepared to have a hearing with those responsible for what happened. Hopefully, a hearing will go ahead and will include a full explanation of the steps taken by the Gardaí to prevent it from happening and why these steps were unsuccessful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Back in the day as one might say the travelling community provided a number of services in a way, tinkers etc.

These days we only get the negative sides - and given that education and a brighter future are not really high in the priority list (generalisation of course) - the best tools we have (education and prospects) cannot be utilised to change the culture.

I used to play Handball with a bunch of older settled lads and they were grand, sure there was differences in view points but they were decent chaps all told. But even they would admit the generation below them was on a bad path.

That said they did not seem to have any interest in forcing that path to change.

Drugs changed everything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

In fairness a handful of oldies and a priest vs a crowd of 200 well sauced travellers and handy with the fisticuffs. No comparison.

Try breaking that up without a few heads cracked open. They don't play by our rules.

They are like 18th and 19th century Irish who didn't give a sh1t about law or peelers and hammered the crap out of each other at fairs.

No you finally setup a unit like the French CRS that just knocks heads.

We are so soft on policing and our towns, cities and villages are going to pot with this so called "ethnic" group and other little feral shytes running amuck with no repercusions.
    chosen1 wrote: »
    It's a council owned pitch and their main tenants are Longford Wanderers F.C. The club was set up for travellers and they compose the majority of players. Know some of them involved in the club and they aren't the worst of this lot.

The dressing rooms were famous in Longford for the length of time they took to build. Every time building supplies were delivered, they mysteriously disappeared. After years of this, the council had to hire 24 hour security to watch the site before it eventually got finished.

Would have thought they would want to host this at Longford Slashers ground?
    EddieN75 wrote: »
    “It is a perfect storm for Covid,” she said. “It is very hard to follow the Covid-19 health guidelines. If you have bigger families and smaller spaces, how can you socially distance?”

You don't mix with people from other families .It's been a year. It's not new information

Other families ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

abff wrote: »
    Hopefully, a hearing will go ahead and will include a full explanation of the steps taken by the Gardaí to prevent it from happening and why these steps were unsuccessful.

I'd love to know the outcome of that. I'm a "settled" person and if it turns out that I don't have the ability to have a similar type party that can't be stopped by the authorities/Gardai, I'd consider that to racist/Xenophobic.

No intention of having any such party of course but I'm sure if I did, it would be forcefully stopped pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Photos and videos, social media, of the big day going around on WhatsApp....exactly what I was expecting...a classy affair....with abysmal levels of spelling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

b0nk1e wrote: »

And stay positive!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Monday should be good.

Evidence will be given by gardai of serving the injunction to parties.

Said parties will be asked to explain why they took F all notice of a court document.

The judge will tear their answers to shreds and jail them for contempt.

Hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

gmisk wrote: »
    Photos and videos, social media, of the big day going around on WhatsApp....exactly what I was expecting...a classy affair....with abysmal levels of spelling

And Dress sense :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭Be right back

sligojoek wrote: »
    Monday should be good.

Said parties will be asked to explain why they took F all notice of a court document.

Hopefully.

It would be great. Lovely honeymoon for the happy couple. Costa de Longford.

Monday should be good.

Hopefully.

I wouldn't hold my breath to be honest, it will likely be a damp squib and I have a feeling the learned judge might just restrict reporting given the publicity.

It would be great. Lovely honeymoon for the happy couple. Costa de Longford.

Longford wouldn't be good enough for this lot, fine for a quick wedding with fish and chips :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

It would be great. Lovely honeymoon for the happy couple. Costa de Longford Castlerea.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't hold my breath to be honest, it will likely be a damp squib and I have a feeling the learned judge might just restrict reporting given the publicity.

I doubt he will

He'll have to take a strict stance on it because if he doesn't, any Tom Dick or Harry can order a marquee Monday evening and let loose.

Something like this should have been done after the funerals last year. Judge Johnson is a Ballymote native so I'm sure he's not unaware of the carry on there twice since the lockdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭Be right back

I doubt he will

He'll have to take a strict stance on it because if he doesn't, any Tom Dick or Harry can order a marquee Monday evening and let loose.

Something like this should have been done after the funerals last year. Judge Johnson is a Ballymote native so I'm sure he's not unaware of the carry on there twice since the lockdown.

Castlerea for the groom and Mountjoy for the blushing bride! All set so, hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Castlerea for the groom and Mountjoy for the blushing bride! All set so, hopefully!

Castlerea would be like another wedding for the groom,

I doubt he will

I think he will have to come down heavy on them, otherwise he will only make the guards, county council, and the other judge who gave the court order look like fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

It's amusing in a way....

The owner of the marquee is being hauled to court and his affairs dragged through the media, for erecting a marquee which in itself isn't an offence.

There were council officials, Gardai, armed and local, and a heavy gang from Dublin brought in, buy still they ring him in the middle of the party to take down the tent, while they all stand around.

Like his fvcking business..... If they wanted to clear the site, let them do it themselves, grow a pair of balls and do it, don't be hiding behind this contractor, who was caught between a rock and a hard place really, and was (according to the Gardai court evidence) basically threatened if he went near the marquee.

Yet again, a soft target..... a peripheral figure in this nonsense story. The financial affairs of none of the Gardai, contractors, travellers, or anyone else has been dragged through the media today....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The owner of the marquee is being hauled to court and his affairs dragged through the media, for erecting a marquee which in itself isn't an offence.

There were council officials, Gardai, armed and local, and a heavy gang from Dublin brought in, buy still they ring him in the middle of the party to take down the tent, while they all stand around.

Like his fvcking business..... If they wanted to clear the site, let them do it themselves, grow a pair of balls and do it, don't be hiding behind this contractor, who was caught between a rock and a hard place really, and was (according to the Gardai court evidence) basically threatened if he went near the marquee.

Yet again, a soft target..... a peripheral figure in this nonsense story. The financial affairs of none of the Gardai, contractors, travellers, or anyone else has been dragged through the media today....

Tesspassing on land is an offence. Considering its council land I doubt they gave him permission. He knew what he was doing and let's not forget got paid for it. I wonder did he declare his taxes on that transaction.

The financial affairs of the travellers might be of interest to gardai, revenue and social welfare I imagine.

irishgeo wrote: »
    Tesspassing on land is an offence. Considering its council land I doubt they gave him permission. He knew what he was doing and let's not forget got paid for it. I wonder did he declare his taxes on that transaction.

The financial affairs of the travellers might be of interest to gardai, revenue and social welfare I imagine.

Trespassing.??? What evidence have you to suggest he was trespassing?

If it's council land, then why aren't the council in court? If it's their land, they should be responsible, but they are passing the buck onto this lad.

Well done on buying the narrative about his taxes, leaked/published to discredit him. He's being left hanging out to dry, a patsy.

Trespassing.??? What evidence have you to suggest he was trespassing?

If it's council land, then why aren't the council in court? If it's their land, they should be responsible, but they are passing the buck onto this lad.

Well done on buying the narrative about his taxes, leaked/published to discredit him. He's being left hanging out to dry, a patsy.

How would the council be responsible for someone putting up a marquee on their land? The dident ask for it to be put up.

You seem very concerned about the lad that put it up, I wonder why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

If they were from Donegal they would have been stoned to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Looking for the weak and easy link as usual is all we get. The authorities should have handled it but instead they try to do the peripheral approach to drag in the weaker parties.
    Sends a horrible message

• Advertisement

mgn wrote: »
    How would the council be responsible for someone putting up a marquee on their land?

You seem very concerned about the lad that put it up, I wonder why.

Couldn't care less, don't have a dog in the fight, but here he has been accused of trespassing on Council land.
    No evidence of this at all, he's just a guy hired to do a job looking at it from the outside. A bit nieve maybe, that's the height of it I'd say.

But he's the easy target in all this, a fall guy without the access to PR advice like the Gardai and Council. The Indo haven't the balls to publish the affairs of the guys that rented the tent either, publish their tax affairs then.

Advertisement