Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

200 people celebrate a wedding in Longford.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    I'd love to contribute, but this particular topic has led to me being banned on numerous occasions in the past. It's the only topic that gets me banned in fact. Whatever it is about marquees, I always say something to upset the mods.

So would I for the same reason. Mine has something to do with "less than 2 meters" and " gettin' the grab off the cousins".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Couldn't care less, don't have a dog in the fight, but here he has been accused of trespassing on Council land.
    No evidence of this at all, he's just a guy hired to do a job looking at it from the outside. A bit nieve maybe, that's the height of it I'd say.

But he's the easy target in all this, a fall guy without the access to PR advice like the Gardai and Council. The Indo haven't the balls to publish the affairs of the guys that rented the tent either, publish their tax affairs then.

So he put up a marquee on a football pitch that wasn't owned by the person that was paying him, and he never asked any questions.
    And I agree, have CAB and revenue investigate the people the rented it and make examples of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I thought the marquee was just for 5 people, your honour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

There is simply no appetite for any arm of the State to clamp down on this particular section of society as those in power fear being branded x,y or z

Every council has list of who lives in each halting site. Cross reference that with Social Welfare and whos receiving what payment then ask where the money for the 211 Van/car/jeep is coming from then give all that to Revenue and or CAB depending.

Might aswell bring TUSLA along too and the SPCA.

Methodically tackle each site and I bet pretty soon there'd be a Q at the ports to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Neyite wrote: »
    A honeymoon behind bars for a few days might send a strong message. To be honest, that's what is needed now.
    I was due to get married in 2020, postponed until 2021, and now just postponed until next year again because I do want friends and family around and I want us to have a party. So I'll wait until we are all vaccinated and venues are open again.

We also had the option of going ahead just ourselves if we wanted. Not what we had planned but for many who's culture or religious beliefs are important to them, they could do that and throw a massive party in a years time. Yeah it sucks a bit, but you can postpone a wedding, you can't postpone a funeral.

If the authorities don't come down hard on this public health breach, it's just telling everyone else that they can too. So expect more of these super-spreader events. And if all the travellers are doing it, then why shouldn't the rest of us who wanted our wedding day throw up a marquee and factor in the fine as a wedding expense?

I live in a town with a large traveller population. During that very brief warm spell I was driving past several houses to go get groceries and they were having full on massive parties. But if you were a Garda would you risk getting a career-ending injury from getting piled on in a crowd resisting arrest or contracting covid to intervene when you know that if it even gets as far as a judge, they walk free with a slap on the wrist and a fine they say they can't afford to pay.

So I really hope this judge isn't all bluster and does prosecute the bride and groom, and whoever else was involved in the planning of the reception.

Judges must be one of the only category of employee who seem unaccountable. Which is mind boggling considering the importance of their work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Couldn't care less, don't have a dog in the fight, but here he has been accused of trespassing on Council land.
    No evidence of this at all, he's just a guy hired to do a job looking at it from the outside. A bit nieve maybe, that's the height of it I'd say.

But he's the easy target in all this, a fall guy without the access to PR advice like the Gardai and Council. The Indo haven't the balls to publish the affairs of the guys that rented the tent either, publish their tax affairs then.

It's hard to print something that doesn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

mgn wrote: »
    I think he will have to come down heavy on them, otherwise he will only make the guards, county council, and the other judge who gave the court order look like fools.

Would you not agree its a bit late to be concerned about who looks foolish? How long has this carry on be going on with little or no sanction? Seriously its a Joke. I'm not blaming Gardai, Council etc, as I've stated previously nothing will happen, nothing will be done and the harsh reality this Ethnic Minority as they are now reffered to as, have in essence carte blanche to do as and when they please. Whilst I accept that was not the intended reason for giving such recognition its become blatantly obvious this is how a large section of this community read it.

At best a gentle slap of a feather will be issued and we'll be back here on a new thread dealing with another 2 finger salute is a very short time.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Trespassing.??? What evidence have you to suggest he was trespassing?

If it's council land, then why aren't the council in court? If it's their land, they should be responsible, but they are passing the buck onto this lad.

Well done on buying the narrative about his taxes, leaked/published to discredit him. He's being left hanging out to dry, a patsy.

Whilst I can't say there is evidence of Trespass I find it hard to believe anyone in Longford Co Co gave permission, if they did that makes it worse.

At a guess and it's just a Guess, one of two things happened here.

Someone in the FC Either gave permission albeit very doubtful, if the grounds are being leased by the club, given recent training controversies I'd say highly unlikely permission given and if it was, Lease will be in jeopardy.

Second possibility and probably more likely either a wink and nod or no permission given and Marquee just errected.

Either way its intriguing how this Question not being asked, at least not that I'm aware of. The only thing clear is the Co Co sought and got an emergency injunction to have it removed albeit too late and typically ignored anyway, so I get a sense no official sanction was given for this structure to be errected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

I'm puzzled as to why we haven't heard anything from the Chairman of the Oireachtas Committee on Key Issues affecting the Traveller Community yet. I would have thought that Senator Flynn would have been among the first people to express her concerns about such a shocking attack on Traveller Culture by a member of the judiciary.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Would you not agree its a bit late to be concerned about who looks foolish? How long has this carry on be going on with little or no sanction? Seriously its a Joke. I'm not blaming Gardai, Council etc, as I've stated previously nothing will happen, nothing will be done and the harsh reality this Ethnic Minority as they are now reffered to as, have in essence carte blanche to do as and when they please. Whilst I accept that was not the intended reason for giving such recognition its become blatantly obvious this is how a large section of this community read it.

At best a gentle slap of a feather will be issued and we'll be back here on a new thread dealing with another 2 finger salute is a very short time.

I don't know, someone is going to have to draw the line somewhere, the have become more brazen of of late because the know the can get away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

I don't know, someone is going to have to draw the line somewhere, the have become more brazen of of late because the know the can get away with it.

Problem is you're dealing with ppl who have no respect generally for the rule of law and order on a loser from day 1if you think this attitude will change any time soon

Problem is you're dealing with ppl who have no respect generally for the rule of law and order on a loser from day 1if you think this attitude will change any time soon

There will come a time when the come down hard on them, people have enough of their antics at this stage, no difference to the drug gangs who got away with it for years, in one case it took a lavish funeral to wake the state up to these people giving the two fingers to the state.

There will come a time when the come down hard on them, people have enough of their antics at this stage, no difference to the drug gangs who got away with it for years, in one case it took a lavish funeral to wake the state up to these people giving the two fingers to the state.

It’s too late now to come down hard. Decades too late.

There was a time when travellers had a horse and caravan. They travelled around going to known welcoming houses to ask for some food or clothing in return for doing some chores.

Somewhere over the last 50 years or so, this stopped. Travellers were entitled to the dole and a serviced halting site to park their caravans. Horses became used for sulky racing.

When does an activity become a culture? ie Sulky racing?

I could go on, but might get banned!

It’s too late now to come down hard. Decades too late.

There was a time when travellers had a horse and caravan. They travelled around going to known welcoming houses to ask for some food or clothing in return for doing some chores.

Somewhere over the last 50 years or so, this stopped. Travellers were entitled to the dole and a serviced halting site to park their caravans. Horses became used for sulky racing.

When does an activity become a culture? ie Sulky racing?

I could go on, but might get banned!

If Your culture involves breaking the law, time your culture changes not the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭BingCrosbee

The marquee was erected on the site of Longford Wanderers FC. I used to play against them and it was made up of mostly travellers.

The marquee was erected on the site of Longford Wanderers FC. I used to play against them and it was made up of mostly travellers.

They might be looking for new grounds shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭KevRossi

It's amusing in a way....

The owner of the marquee is being hauled to court and his affairs dragged through the media, for erecting a marquee which in itself isn't an offence.

There were council officials, Gardai, armed and local, and a heavy gang from Dublin brought in, buy still they ring him in the middle of the party to take down the tent, while they all stand around.

Like his fvcking business..... If they wanted to clear the site, let them do it themselves, grow a pair of balls and do it, don't be hiding behind this contractor, who was caught between a rock and a hard place really, and was (according to the Gardai court evidence) basically threatened if he went near the marquee.

Yet again, a soft target..... a peripheral figure in this nonsense story. The financial affairs of none of the Gardai, contractors, travellers, or anyone else has been dragged through the media today....

I posted this video before. It's German police clearing Travellers off an illegal campement beside the Rhine in Dusseldorf. They were there a couple of years previously and caused trouble; not paying bills, intimidating locals, fighting etc.

The following year the police were attacked when they went to clear the site, and the police withdrew. They then got in a large number of riot police and cleared the site. They handed out a few beatings and confiscated a number of cars, some of which were later auctioned off. Fines were handed out and paid promptly.

Since then the Travellers do what they are told. A court order was given for them to leave the site. Note that they offer no resistance and that there's barely a coffee cup littered on the ground when they leave.

They take the plss here with stuff like the wedding because they lnow they can get away with it.

In other words, the law and the consequences of breaking it, is a deterrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

KevRossi wrote: »
    I posted this video before. It's German police clearing Travellers off an illegal campement beside the Rhine in Dusseldorf. They were there a couple of years previously and caused trouble; not paying bills, intimidating locals, fighting etc.

The following year the police were attacked when they went to clear the site, and the police withdrew. They then got in a large number of riot police and cleared the site. They handed out a few beatings and confiscated a number of cars, some of which were later auctioned off. Fines were handed out and paid promptly.

Since then the Travellers do what they are told. A court order was given for them to leave the site. Note that they offer no resistance and that there's barely a coffee cup littered on the ground when they leave.

They take the plss here with stuff like the wedding because they lnow they can get away with it.
    This is it exactly. Blaming the travellers for that wedding is actually a distraction. The wedding and other events occurred during the pandemic because there was not sufficient enforcement. Lack of enforcement is effectively the same as giving permission for such events, same outcome anyway.

The spike after Christmas was actually caused by a lack of enforcement of the restrictions, not because the restrictions were lessened. For whatever reason, the Gardai have been ineffective during the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Why didn’t they just take down the marquee wedding or no wedding and tell the attendees to go home otherwise arrests?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Why didn’t they just take down the marquee wedding or no wedding and tell the attendees to go home otherwise arrests?

Armed gardai turned up with a court order and were ignored.

What do you do then?

Afaik the happy couple and a few others have a date with the court in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,342 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

KevRossi wrote: »

They don't have a 'shur twill be grand' legal system, a German branch of Pavee Point and the ragtag collection of vocal do-gooder sybil liberdee enablers who never had to live next nor near them in their lives.

daheff wrote: »
    Armed gardai turned up with a court order and were ignored.

What do you do then?

Afaik the happy couple and a few others have a date with the court in the near future.

The guards are playing the long game. The court orders were served and the relevant parties were told to go. They chose to stay.

On Monday Judge Johnson will want to know why his orders were ignored. I can't wait to hear the answers. Contempt of court is one thing judges go heavily on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

sligojoek wrote: »
    The guards are playing the long game. The court orders were served and the relevant parties were told to go. They chose to stay.

On Monday Judge Johnson will want to know why his orders were ignored. I can't wait to hear the answers. Contempt of court is one thing judges go heavily on.

If you think there will be heavy punishment for this you are dreaming. I’m sure the judge is already weighing up what punishment he can give that won’t drive the public too mad. The punishment will be as light as the judge thinks he can get away with.

jackboy wrote: »
    If you think there will be heavy punishment for this you are dreaming. I’m sure the judge is already weighing up what punishment he can give that won’t drive the public too mad. The punishment will be as light as the judge thinks he can get away with.

Well I don't know of anyone that would be too upset if the judge throws the book at them. Not to many out defending now, the are on their own.

I hear you.

If I was that judge I'd impose a very severe sentence and set a precedent. Anyone else thinking of doing the same thing would say, ""Look at he 6 month sentence *Sabrina Josita Hosanna* got and maybe they'd consider postponing for a while, like everybody else has to do.

* not an actual name

As I said earlier in this thread, Judge Johnson cut his teeth in Ballymote. I'm sure he had many travelers as clients in his early days. He knows what They're all about . I'm putting a lot of faith in him and am hoping he sends a very strong message out.

In the last 18 months I lost 2 friends to suicide and others to accidental deaths and natural causes. I stayed at home and mourned them online with other friends. We didn't get marquees and fish n chip shop catering.

These people seem to think they can do what they want and are now looking for preference in the vaccine queue

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

If the judge effectively let's this go, then any other pandemic legislation might as well get binned as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Neyite wrote:
    If the judge effectively let's this go, then any other pandemic legislation might as well get binned as well.

It's a clear sign, we need to go for it now folks, street parties everywhere, free horse and trap rides, to keep the childer happy, maybe we can organise a raffle, winner gets a brand new car/van/jeep, no need to be buying it yourself for cash......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭Be right back

sligojoek wrote: »
    As I said earlier in this thread, Judge Johnson cut his teeth in Ballymote. I'm sure he had many travelers as clients in his early days. He knows what They're all about . I'm putting a lot of faith in him and am hoping he sends a very strong message out.

In the last 18 months I lost 2 friends to suicide and others to accidental deaths and natural causes. I stayed at home and mourned them online with other friends. We didn't get marquees and fish n chip shop catering.

These people seem to think they can do what they want and are now looking for preference in the vaccine queue

I really hope that the judge throws the book at them. He certainly had strong words to say the other day. We all have to make huge sacrifices over the past year. Why should this couple and their guests be any different?

Advertisement