Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drop Copper, Move to 4G but keep number over Voip

• 05-05-2021 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

My EIR contract has now expired, I was paying €85 per month for Mobile and Landline + Broadband, I was the main user of the broadband as I was staying at home with my parents due to the pandemic, both of them are not big internet users. With a Q4 2022 date for NBI Fibre and my EIR contract expired I was thinking to drop the copper landline from EIR and instead get a 4G Modem with a GoMo sim for €13/month.

The house is 2.5km from an EIR/Gomo mast with perfect line of sight, I routinely pull 25-30mbps on the 4G on my smartphone and even on downloads using a download manager off the 4G, the Landline gives only 15mbps on ADSL2+ but is rock solid and extremely reliable, service is with Eir.

We have a terrestrial landline for 30+ years and we don't want to lose the number which is important for people phoning my parents up. Could that number be ported to a Voip system and a analogue phone converter to run the PSTN POTS over Voip over the 4G?

I am moved out now to my own house where I am facing a €100/month bill for Starlink whenever I get it in, I don't really want to outlay nearly €200 per month for both houses plus €40 for a landline in my own rural remote house with no mobile service, this will get disconnected once Starlink arrives as it doesn't have broadband on it due the remoteness of the rural house. This rural house will also get NBI fibre in Q4 2022.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

You can port your phone number to a suitable service, such as Goldfish, which will put control over the number in your control.
    I ran such a facility over my copper landline (5 to 6 Mb/s) for a few years before getting a fibre connection, and had no problems. I never used it over mobile connection - mine is dire!

You might get further suggestions here
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=542

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭moceri

Irish Voip will also provide this service and move your Landline number to Voip. They offer an annual rate of €24.60
    You just need an Analogue Telephone Adapter which plugs into a SIM enabled Router.

theguzman wrote: »
    My EIR contract has now expired, I was paying €85 per month for Mobile and Landline + Broadband, I was the main user of the broadband as I was staying at home with my parents due to the pandemic, both of them are not big internet users. With a Q4 2022 date for NBI Fibre and my EIR contract expired I was thinking to drop the copper landline from EIR and instead get a 4G Modem with a GoMo sim for €13/month.

The house is 2.5km from an EIR/Gomo mast with perfect line of sight, I routinely pull 25-30mbps on the 4G on my smartphone and even on downloads using a download manager off the 4G, the Landline gives only 15mbps on ADSL2+ but is rock solid and extremely reliable, service is with Eir.

We have a terrestrial landline for 30+ years and we don't want to lose the number which is important for people phoning my parents up. Could that number be ported to a Voip system and a analogue phone converter to run the PSTN POTS over Voip over the 4G?

I am moved out now to my own house where I am facing a €100/month bill for Starlink whenever I get it in, I don't really want to outlay nearly €200 per month for both houses plus €40 for a landline in my own rural remote house with no mobile service, this will get disconnected once Starlink arrives as it doesn't have broadband on it due the remoteness of the rural house. This rural house will also get NBI fibre in Q4 2022.

Did you port the number and set up the GoMo connection?

Just wondering if it was successful.

1. Setup broadband with your new provider
    2. Get up and running with new VoIP service & get whatever equipment you need running.
    3. Port your landline number when you're ready to.
    4. Then your old landline will just stop working.

You just need your phone number and UAN.
    Some VoIP providers might also ask you for a copy of the front of your bill to prove you are the real owner of the number.

My question was to the OP - "theguzman".

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

I didn’t realise this was a private thread.

• Advertisement

I didn’t realise this was a private thread.

Obviously it is not.

Just as obvious is the fact that you cannot provide the answer to a question addressed directly to the OP.

Advertisement