Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCIe M.2 making noise?

Options
  • 05-05-2021 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I recently gifted myself a bit of an upgrade and got a R5 3600 on Asus TUR X570-Plus with 16gb and a Samsung 980 Pro nvme drive.

Really happy with the performance overall however I am experiencing one potential issue. when the drive is hard at work(playing RDR2 or any other game installed on the drive) I have a weird noise coming from, I suppose, the drive. it's like a HDD noise only more quiet, kinda higher pitched and constant.

I read somewhere that noise from an m.2 is possible, something to do with capacitors and minimum load, but this happens under heavy.

anyone experienced something similar? do I need to be worried or look for a replacement part?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Probably the chipset fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,817 ✭✭✭SeanW

That would be my guess too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Have you installed the drive in the top slot (under the CPU), or the bottom one?
    My guess is that you have it at the bottom, which is connected to the X570 chipset.
    If you move it to the top slot, which is connected to the CPU, you might not hear the chipset fan when the drive is under load.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

PSU coil whine?

Advertisement