Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Builder Garage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,504 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I think I read somewhere that it's only €30 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Looks cool. Doesn't seem to be any mention of a place where you can search and download user made games. Seems like it's a "share your game with friends via this code" option. I'm guessing if that's the case people will use boards and other forums like reddit to show off their creations.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Mr E wrote: »
    I think I read somewhere that it's only €30 too.

It is €30. It's getting a physical release as well. Strange though that the American site says it's 10.5GB in size, while Nintendo UK says it's 0.995GB. Someone's gone wrong.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-download-software/Game-Builder-Garage-1964648.html

surely it's bigger than 1 Gb for all the assets it will require as building blocks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

sligeach wrote: »
    It is €30. It's getting a physical release as well. Strange though that the American site says it's 10.5GB in size, while Nintendo UK says it's 0.995GB. Someone's gone wrong.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-download-software/Game-Builder-Garage-1964648.html

Not getting an EU physical release, so I've ordered it from Canada, works out around €33 or so, just have to wait a couple of weeks for delivery.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Not getting an EU physical release, so I've ordered it from Canada, works out around €33 or so, just have to wait a couple of weeks for delivery.

Probably just gonna get it digital. Odd they opted for no cartridge in eu only.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,021 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

USB mouse support as well, though wonder if that would include a wireless mouse and receiver.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just got an email from Videogames plus in Canada, my physical copy of Game Garage is on it's way.
    I'm probably never going to build anything myself, but it looks like fun

8/10 IGN review. Not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Bought it on the eshop. €30. Which is about right for what it is.

My 5 year old is really getting into games. We sit and play together and chat about the level design etc. Simple stuff like looking at the lighting and markings that designers use to direct a player.

Now she really wants to get into this so she can build her own game.

She has her game all mapped out on paper, wrote up a project plan, has written the story, designed the characters (the hero, the sidekick & the baddies) and the level design.

The main issue with GBG, there is a huge amount of unskippable tutorials. That are not voiced. Are really slow to click through instead of being intuitive.

Even when you have the concept, for example that you need to connect the button to the action, you have to click through loads of waffle. She is really struggling with it.

So I'll have to battle through them to figure it out and then show her, but I think there is a really powerful tool under there.

I'll update once I get my head around it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The main issue with GBG, there is a huge amount of unskippable tutorials. That are not voiced. Are really slow to click through instead of being intuitive.

Even when you have the concept, for example that you need to connect the button to the action, you have to click through loads of waffle.

Working my way through it myself, and have to agree! Though enjoyable, I do wish there was an option for it to be that little bit less hand-hold, not telling you every step of the process, more giving you the overview for a step or several,and let you do it yourself.the checkpoint tests are the best so far as they don't have that,and some are genuinely interesting to figure out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Turns out once you have built Tag Showdown the free programing bit opens up. So not as bad as first thought.

About an hour in total to get through the intro and tag showdown (which is just under 40mins).

Really liking this. Simple interface that lets you do complex things.

I'm still awaiting my physical copy from Canada.
    In truth, I'm quite lazy, and I am hoping there'll be plenty of games out there already built.
    It looks like the Ninty version of Scratch, a bit...

Physical copy of Game Garage finally arrived, no time to try it out yet as a lot going on at home right now.
    Might take a look later, if I've time

Advertisement