Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where get rhubarb stools for planting out?

Options
  • 06-05-2021 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone could please advise where I might be able to get rhubarb stools for planting out? I'm in the Limerick area - But would travel a bit.

Aware it probably a bit late in the year - But then again it's felt like January the last few weeks so I might be allright!

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 craggel69

You could try Gardensforlife (http://gardensforlife.ie/spring-plant-sale-2021/) they have some for sale in their spring sale. I got some last year and arrived in good shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Just water then regularly when you get them

• Registered Users Posts: 28,428 ✭✭✭✭looksee

And don't take a harvest this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

looksee wrote: »
    And don't take a harvest this year!
    Or even next year possibly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Thanks for all the replies folks - I've a bit to learn about Rhubarb so it seems.

Would potted rhubarb speed things up? I mightn't even like rhubarb tart by this time 2 years away !!! :D

• Advertisement

I planted rhubarb last year and didn't harvest it. This year it is producing loadsa stalks, very nice too. I did put a bit of manure under the hole I planted it in.

I need to go out and weed it, we are only rescuing that area of the garden and there are sneaky nettles quietly popping up just waiting for a hand to come too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Dunnes Stores have 3 pots for €20 here in Roscommon. Just wondering could I plant this in grow bags, fairly tight for space.
    Thanks.

Maybe, but rhubarb is a long term project - plant it and its there for the next 20 years - or more, growing bigger and with a large root system. I doubt a growbag would work out for more than a year or two at most.

Advertisement