Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed UK Government Amnesty for Troops & Paramilitaries in NI during Troubles

Options
2»

Comments

blanch152 wrote: »
    As a stain on this country, it is far worse when we see Irish thugs murdering innocent Irish children, Mullaghmore being one example of that.

Is it. Or are there two distinct things here. A supposedly lawful army shooting civilians who were marching peacefully and terrorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,584 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Is it. Or are there two distinct things here. A supposedly lawful army shooting civilians who were marching peacefully and terrorists.

But any on here have previously stayed they weren't terrorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

So you're happy with that as long as the Brits get off also

No, I never said that. I think all parties who committed any type of atrocity should be prosecuted.
    I was just wondering why your post was written as only an attack on the British? Why did you fail to mention that the amnesty was for all members of military or paramilitary forces? Why single out the "Brits"?
    Do you think that only the British murderers should be prosecuted and any Irish murderers should be allowed to go free?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

ec18 wrote: »
    humiliated is way too strong of a word for this

Cheap political point-scoring by people who use the term "FFG". Not that I agree with this decision, btw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

I see a mention of a truth and Reconciliation commission is proposed too.

Sinn Fein are terrified of a Truth and Reconciliation commission now that they are up in the polls. Imagine if all the missing bodies where found, all crimes of the IRA known and the trigger men all uncovered. No doubt it would do then serious damage in the polls. The new young woke lefty brigade would abandon ship fairly sharpish.

I also noticed how SF want IRA men absolved of all crimes but want justice for any Loyalist or British Army murder. The bare faced hypocrisy.

Personally I think those who killed anybody and those who ordered it should face the full rath of the law and spend the rest of their lives in prison.

British Army, IRA, UDA, UVF essentially are the same scumbags in different uniforms

• Advertisement

But any on here have previously stayed they weren't terrorists.

What the what now? This is more deflection. Should British citizens be shot or not while marching for any reason.

Aren’t you an ultra liberal when it comes to pretty much anything else, but when it bites home, an oppressed minority marching for its right to housing or what not, it’s ok to mow them down. Because terrorism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

blanch152 wrote: »
    As a stain on this country, it is far worse when we see Irish thugs murdering innocent Irish children, Mullaghmore being one example of that.

So you prefer it when it is the Brits murdering Irish children?

And the NI subjects are Irish now?

Maybe their miltary personnel and royalty should not have been using kids as human shields and holidayed in their "British" NI instead considering Ireland dared to be its own country

piplip87 wrote: »

Sinn Fein are terrified of a Truth and Reconciliation commission now that they are up in the polls. Imagine if all the missing bodies where found, all crimes of the IRA known and the trigger men all uncovered. No doubt it would do then serious damage in the polls. The new young woke lefty brigade would abandon ship fairly sharpish.

I also noticed how SF want IRA men absolved of all crimes but want justice for any Loyalist or British Army murder. The bare faced hypocrisy.

Personally I think those who killed anybody and those who ordered it should face the full rath of the law and spend the rest of their lives in prison.

British Army, IRA, UDA, UVF essentially are the same scumbags in different uniforms

With respect a Truth and Reconciliation commission (along South African ways) was and is supported by SF (ANC are their allies)

It is not supported by the unionists and the British

Whether or not all Provos would comply is another story, whether or not the Irish Labour Party and the Official IRA admit their role is a bigger obstacle, whether the British would seriously set up a proper commission and force the Tans to comply is laughable

Also fascinating, John Mercer a British politician and professional former squaddie of the Walter Mitty brigade is supporting Amnesty for those who took out his "comrades" and has the full support of unionists - they will never learn

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Imagine if all the missing bodies where found

How many bodies are missing now? Is it two? And haven't the authorities said they've had full cooperation on recovery efforts?

There are far far more missing bodies in Cork alone from the 'good' IRA in the 1920's. Some were even dug up and moved to prevent them being recovered. Carry on embarrassing yourself if you wish though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

So you prefer it when it is the Brits murdering Irish children?

And the NI subjects are Irish now?

Maybe their miltary personnel and royalty should not have been using kids as human shields and holidayed in their "British" NI instead considering Ireland dared to be its own country

What nonsense is this? Where did I say I preferred any killing.

This thread isn't going the way you hoped, calm down.

I want all unlawful killings prosecuted. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Strange reaction to foreign scumbags murdering innocent Irish children

I think you have a strange definition of humiliation.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,584 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

What the what now? This is more deflection. Should British citizens be shot or not while marching for any reason.

No one should be shot just for marching.
    Aren’t you an ultra liberal when it comes to pretty much anything else, but when it bites home, an oppressed minority marching for its right to housing or what not, it’s ok to mow them down. Because terrorism.

No I'm really not, that's just a silly label that you have decided to slap on me for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

fvp4 wrote: »
    Yes. Also. And?

So we move on from these things. A better tomorrow for the children of today...do ye feel me brother?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

So we move on from these things. A better tomorrow for the children of today...do ye feel me brother?

The Ballymurphy families are still trying to have their murdered loved-ones found innocent.

Think that through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Weren't hundreds of terrorists released under the GFA?

Yes, many of whom committed horrific murders.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,156 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

US Senator John Boyle signalling that the same applies to the UK's Trade Deal and future agreements if they once again break an agreement they have signed up to (Stormont House Agreement) as applied if they broke the GFA

Not best pleased with them for trying this one.
    More playing to the gallery bluster from Boris I would imagine, he'll pull the horns in when the Yanks tell him to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

But would a proper Truth and reconciliation commission not be the best thing going forward. The sad fact is that at this stage anyone who committed shootings/bombing/kidnapping etc during the Troubles is unlikely to be prosecuted and that's on both sides. If the evidence was really there, people would have faced trial already. You might have a few more troubles related trials but as time passes they are going to just get fewer and fewer.

For the families affected by the killing of their relative at least a properly run Truth and reconciliation commission might give them some sort of closure even if the people who committed those crimes go free. They might better understand why/how people died. The sad fact is the majority of unsolved atrocities at this stage will never face trial because the evidence isn't there to prosecute in a criminal trial.

A well run commission would cause problems for the British army and former paramilitaries on both sides of the divide including politicians. But at least it might better expose how interlinked certain groups were ie IRA and Sinn Fein, the various loyalists paramilitary groups and British security forces, the exact role of certain individuals etc. That's probably the biggest barrier.

Advertisement