Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice on AMD MB/CPU/RAM

Options
  • 06-05-2021 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Got a bit of an upgrade itch - well deserved I think since I haven't built a PC since 2011! Never thought it would be this long!

I'm currently running an 15-3570k with 8GB RAM, with a 1080ti, on an LG display - 3440*1440@120Hz

I wanted to keep virtually everything else in place, bar the core of MB/CPU/RAM.

I'm not using it for anything intensive, nor am I really playing anything AAA. But all the same, I do notice some annoyingly slow load/processing times in some games, and even sometimes in Chrome :(

I'm hoping just upgrading these parts will be a good investment for several more years yet - would that be crazy? If not, I guess where I need some help with is what combination of parts to go with. I've always tended to go for the sweet spot of price/performance - and ideally this time around to go with AMD.

Any advice/suggestions for parts would be appreciated! Also, if there's a good place to pick up air dusters at a reasonable price?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Depends on the games being played but it would be normal to experience a lot of CPU bottle-necking. You have a high-end GPU paired with a very low-end and obsolete processor.

8GB of RAM is also very low for modern games. Do you have an SSD? That makes a huge difference for general use and load times.

What is the budget?

If you want to just buy now and not have to worry for a long time, I would just shell out for Ryzen 5600X, B550M + 16GB 3200mhz ram.

If you're more budget conscious, something like a B450M + Ryzen 3600 is a lot cheaper but still a great CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

Brilliant Homelander, thanks. Yeah, I have an ancient SSD, one of the very first Intel ones! I'll consider if I want to install Win10 from scratch on a newer SSD, or I've seen that people have managed to still boot into their existing OS, even after changing those parts?

I think a decent budget for this (considering I don't want to upgrade for another several years at least) is around €700-800? If it's worth putting in another €100 I can do that.

One thing I do have my eye on this year is Total War Warhammer 3 - I fully appreciate the 1080ti will need to get upgraded to get the most out of that game, but I wouldn't want to upgrade to a CPU etc that wouldn't be adequate for it.

Otherwise, generally games like Stellaris, Deep Rock Galactic, where the biggest PITA is load times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Love Deep Rock Galactic! If you're experiencing horrible load times I think your SSD is definitely to blame there. The old i5 would still be OK for that sort of game. I run Deep Rock off a bog standard €60 480GB SSD and it load levels in about 8-9 seconds.

I would say a 5600X, B550M, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz and a good 1TB NVME M2 are the way forward for sure.

The 1080Ti is still generally an excellent GPU. There is a huge ongoing GPU shortage worldwide, so to get an upgrade on it right now would cost a fortune. Something like an RX6800XT is a not-huge upgrade and costs €1,200 from most retailers who have it in stock.

I would most definitely hang onto the 1080Ti.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Your SSD could be on it's last legs if it's old and small. Those old SSD's had serious durability issues.

Advertisement