Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband installation cancelled

Options
  • 06-05-2021 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hello signed up for vodafone 500 fibre, the KN engineers are working on the road the last few weeks from the looks of it. Anyway I signed up and it seemed too good to be true they had arranged someone to set it up in the home very quickly. A KN engineer called around about a week before the installation was due and he said the duct was blocked so anyway he informed vodafone that and then they cancelled my installation. So now its 2 months away. KN have since spent a lot of time working outside digging up footpaths and cemented back over it so it looks like they cleared any blockages so I dont see why I would have to wait 2 months for a visit now? It seems the two companies dont communicate but reading posts on here it seems a common theme. I just have no idea whats going on and the solution is to phone someone in India to hope they know whats going on?

I am thinking of using the cooling period to choose someone else but it seems everyone has to go through KN anyway so I will get more of the same. Is this normal carry on from vodaphone? Will they charge me the next two months contract even though an engineer has not been in the house?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

I think that Vodafone buy from eir whose contractor is KNN. So its eir who schedule the survey / installation not Vodafone. But if you cancel with Vodafone and re-order direct with eir there is a good chance your install date will be sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭naughto

BB2021 wrote: »
    Hello signed up for vodafone 500 fibre, the KN engineers are working on the road the last few weeks from the looks of it. Anyway I signed up and it seemed too good to be true they had arranged someone to set it up in the home very quickly. A KN engineer called around about a week before the installation was due and he said the duct was blocked so anyway he informed vodafone that and then they cancelled my installation. So now its 2 months away. KN have since spent a lot of time working outside digging up footpaths and cemented back over it so it looks like they cleared any blockages so I dont see why I would have to wait 2 months for a visit now? It seems the two companies dont communicate but reading posts on here it seems a common theme. I just have no idea whats going on and the solution is to phone someone in India to hope they know whats going on?

I am thinking of using the cooling period to choose someone else but it seems everyone has to go through KN anyway so I will get more of the same. Is this normal carry on from vodaphone? Will they charge me the next two months contract even though an engineer has not been in the house?

Cancle the lot get the duct cleared and order though a different provider providing there is one.
    Or will Vodafone bring the vibre connection in by running a it across your property instead of going in the duct

• Registered Users Posts: 17 BB2021

naughto wrote: »
    Cancle the lot get the duct cleared and order though a different provider providing there is one.
    Or will Vodafone bring the vibre connection in by running a it across your property instead of going in the duct

I doubt it will go overground as live on an estate and no one else has overground wires but don't know. I only live about 200 metres from a cabinet that is getting fibre to it. I would expect a long wait as its ireland but KN were knocking on the door in about 3 days after I ordered it. Do vodafone even check anything before arranging visits it seems really wasteful from their point of view to say yes when they can't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Anyone not getting Virgin or Siro fixed broadband will have it installed by KNN. I ordered eir 1Gbps fibre about two weeks ago. KNN tried to install on Tuesday, but duct was blocked, under my lawn. I was very tempted to call it off, as my current broadband is grand for Netflix, etc. Anyway...

Got a call from Openeir this morning to say a team were in the area, and was I at home. Four hours later, and lots of digging, and the fibre was installed. The same team commissioned the broadband, and all is now working. I have to say I was impressed by the 2 KNN guys, they couldn't have been more helpful or cooperative.

Mind you, I expect it to make feck all difference in my day to day life. I only stream in HD, and I already have Netflix and Amazon Prime. AppleTV appears to have little content and I'm seriously thinking of removing my payment details from iTunes. If this removes AppleTV I won't lose any sleep.

Am thinking of virgin as used to have cable in the house with upc years ago , not sure if this will be of any benefit though. These companies would be out of business in any other country than North Korea. I have internet already or I would be tearing my hair out. Vodafone also sent me a contract of a higher price than the one I signed up to. I am going to cancel them just because they are so awful.

• Advertisement

New development :

KN engineers were on the road today. They tried to run a cable from the latest hole dug by the road in the footpath (the hole is 50 metres from a cabinet and then another 15 metres from my house but the fibre cable was blocked about 1 metre from my house - they cleared the street blockages but they could not clear the blockage so close to the house by forcing a fibre cable through it . They showed me where the suspected kink was under the ground and its under grass about 18 inches from my house wall / "cable" box , and I have been digging and finding an old 1980s /1990s style telephone wire at about 10 inches deep and I didnt find any ducting yet How deep are these things located (ducting?)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

and finding an old 1980s /1990s style telephone wire at about 10 inches deep and I didnt find any ducting yet How deep are these things located (ducting?)

There may be no duct. For whatever reason it was direct buried or at some point somebody did some landscaping and smashed it up and did a bare minimum repair.

If its a hassle for you just go to Virgin.

Not a hassle yet I didnt expect KN to call today I have been looking at researching how to cancel voda today I still have a few days cooling off left and I was on the phone to them when KN knocked at the door. Was more curious than anything. I can see an end to the ducting its been brought into the cable box - the problem was that the fibre travels nearly all the way - to the house - the KN guys woulld know if there was not ducting - the fibre cable is travelling in 'something'. They say its a kink. I was just wondering how far to dig, I was working today so couldnt go full excavator mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

Would it be possible there is duct on the street but the spur off to your house was direct buried and the "kink" they suspect is where the duct ends and it was just buried rest of the way?

yes damo, I have a feeling that would be it. I am expecting to find a cut off duct or something now rather than a kink but I have the end part of the duct which is fitted to the wall of the house so it looks like it could have been chopped off for a sectioin, for a length of one metre , distanced at one metre from my house and then presumably the ducting starts again where its getting very close to the cable box. I dont know why - I know I can hear them rodding the ducting from the footpath end when I listen to the end that is attached to the house. Am going to have another dig today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭NewClareman

New development :

KN engineers were on the road today. They tried to run a cable from the latest hole dug by the road in the footpath (the hole is 50 metres from a cabinet and then another 15 metres from my house but the fibre cable was blocked about 1 metre from my house - they cleared the street blockages but they could not clear the blockage so close to the house by forcing a fibre cable through it . They showed me where the suspected kink was under the ground and its under grass about 18 inches from my house wall / "cable" box , and I have been digging and finding an old 1980s /1990s style telephone wire at about 10 inches deep and I didnt find any ducting yet How deep are these things located (ducting?)

There were two blockages on my lawn, each over 2 ft deep. In each case there was a pile of rubble, including rocks, just piled on overhead. Over time the duct cracked and filled with mud.

found the ducting not that deep actually and traced it to about 12 inches from the box ( cant get any closer without digging into the concrete which I dont have the tools for), its all under concrete and there is a sewage access trap which itself is embedded in concrete , which is in the way, sp still couldnt get to the end of the ducting. I can only assume that the ducting is collapsed very close to the house. Guess will have to wait now for the broadband company to instruct the kn guys to dig this up or dig a hole in the concrete. So close though pretty infuriating if I didnt have good 4g coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

if the duct issue is on your land then its up to you to fix it though afaik

BArra wrote: »
    if the duct issue is on your land then its up to you to fix it though afaik

So I have been told it also seems to be pot luck. Vodafone have a "support" page detailing all the reasons for installation delays and what they do they about it, and say that they instruct the "necessary team" - ( I was guessing they pay KN via eir to do it) and that the customer is not obliged to do it (for eFTTH), but they are not so clear what is the case for all other installations like fibre .

I will find out anyway I know its going to take longer by not doing it myself but I am not in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

So I have been told it also seems to be pot luck. Vodafone have a "support" page detailing all the reasons for installation delays and what they do they about it, and say that they instruct the "necessary team" - ( I was guessing they pay KN via eir to do it) and that the customer is not obliged to do it (for eFTTH), but they are not so clear what is the case for all other installations like fibre .

I will find out anyway I know its going to take longer by not doing it myself but I am not in a hurry.

what ever you do do not switch to Eir. I am having a shocking experience trying to get a service activated.

what ever you do do not switch to Eir. I am having a shocking experience trying to get a service activated.

Yeah I came close but then the amount of people who would rather eat a bucket of mud than have anything to do with eir has put me off. If you go on trustpilot you only get the angry people really but the ones who are spitting hatred for eir just makes me think how dumb willl I feel in 4 years time when I am still waiting on hold to eir. I am going to stick it out with voda, the KN guys will be the same I dont think eir have a magic wand for installations. I think its down to demand I dunno though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Not a hassle yet I didnt expect KN to call today I have been looking at researching how to cancel voda today I still have a few days cooling off left and I was on the phone to them when KN knocked at the door.
    Your cooling off period shouldn't kick in until the service is active. They can't hold you to a contract if they can't provide the service.

Glaceon wrote: »
    Your cooling off period shouldn't kick in until the service is active. They can't hold you to a contract if they can't provide the service.

Ah I wasn't sure on that. I have been on trustpilot and it gives you the shivers the problems some people have! I know that if you order for example broadband and mobile together and they deliver one of these then you are in a bit of a sticky spot as they claim then that the contract has started.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gaineso123

Hi forgive me for jumping on the tread but you guys seem to know what your talking about and wonder if you can shed light on my situation.

currently have eir 100mb and have ordered 1gb FTTH mid march (2021).

two attempts to install which have resulted in old package still in place, black cable which is required to go into the house for new one is currently waiting to be put into the house but has been ran from the (forgive me black manhole on street that kn circet access).

the bit that is needed to go from (assuming the cabinet) to the balck manhole has a blockage that 2 attempts to get through by the installers havent been able to.

1st one refered a "civils team" to look at it (black manhole) they said it was fit for purpose.
    2nd installer seemed to think they didnt actually check the blockage. HE SEEMS TO THNK ITS BEEN BLOCKED BY ROOTS OF A TREE.

he has again refered it back to eir and currently this is where i still am.

the tree is on neighbours property at the front of her garden (2 doors away) but the "manhole" is obviously on public ground. neighbour has no problem tree been removed if needed.

eir still havent advised what is to happen can you guys shed light on instance like this.

i had assumed they would of just removed the tree if ok was given and perhaps charged if thats the norm??

its dublin semi D housing estate so would of thought normal enough.

So........ vodafone still haven't come to sort out the ducting even by their second date which was an absurdly long wait, or to deliver their crappy modem. I don't actually require their useless service anymore and I certainly refuse to get stressed on telephone to Delhi to find out why, Does anyone know if I have to cancel the contract? OR do they just f**k off? I had this before in another country and it became a Kafkaesque nightmare whereby I was "engaged" to the company by some sort of ancient contract law!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭newhouse87

In new house in the countryside, there is a fibre line across the road. Eir were appalling to deal with so changing sky now who said they were informed a duct is blocked. TBF to sky they are sending a civils team which eir would not to fix the issue. Just wondering what exactly does a blocked duct mean. I would never have had a duct on my property so is it a duct near the pole with the fibre cable? Sky told me kn have obtained some license to do the work but not sure when.

Advertisement