Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eoghan Harris terminated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Why whats happened?

He is constantly handled in some of Babs' tweets and Harris mentioned him in the interview with Sarah as being an admirer of his

McGreevy would share Harris' views and could be one of the other contributers on the hook for abuse

Anyone with a twitter account able to ask him by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,038 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Anyone got a link, missed the first minute or two.
    Up already on their page
    https://www.rte.ie/radio1/drivetime/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I cannot find the exact Harris/Pym tweets now

But the content of them is listed in an Irish Times report:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/twitter-suspends-nine-accounts-linked-to-profile-used-by-eoghan-harris-1.4558375

"Moore thinks she is sniping safely from behind Derry hedges, but she’s actually sniping from an ROI hedge in the Examiner and her SF backside is sticking up in the air.”

In June, Moore tweeted that Sinn Féin leader Mary Lou McDonald had just taken her seat as the first female leader of the opposition. “So that’s what turns you on?” the Pym account replied.

--

Moore's take on the above tweets:

'This account sent me sexualised messages about whether Mary Lou McDonald “turned me on”, the size of my arse and called me a terrorist from the month I started at the Examiner. Since then, I’ve had to go to counselling and the guards.'

--

Harris's take on the above tweets:

Harris denied these tweets were offensive on Friday afternoon and said there is a long history of writers using pseudonyms.
    Harris said he is one of a rotating panel of people who “curate” the Pym account.

Harris continued:

"The two public tweets referenced by Moore were “clearly political and could equally be applied to a man.”
    “the women on the Pym site” did not regard these tweets as offensive or gendered in any way"

--

Twitter and the Irish Independent take on the above tweets:

Twitter has since decided that the Pym account tweets contravened its user agreements etc. This and other pseudonym account(s) were suspended.
    Resulting in Harris's termination from the Irish Independent
    etc etc

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/eoghan-harris-confirms-sunday-independent-contract-terminated-1.4557792

--

These are the facts and statements of those involved as it stands. As far I can see them.
    Anything else is playing to the 'emotive' elements of the story.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

He is constantly handled in some of Babs' tweets and Harris mentioned him in the interview with Sarah as being an admirer of his

McGreevy would share Harris' views and could be one of the other contributers on the hook for abuse

Anyone with a twitter account able to ask him by any chance?
    Oh that's dynamite.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/twitter-suspends-nine-accounts-linked-to-profile-used-by-eoghan-harris-1.4558375

"Moore thinks she is sniping safely from behind Derry hedges, but she’s actually sniping from an ROI hedge in the Examiner and her SF backside is sticking up in the air.”

In June, Moore tweeted that Sinn Féin leader Mary Lou McDonald had just taken her seat as the first female leader of the opposition. “So that’s what turns you on?” the Pym account replied.

--

This account sent me sexualised messages about whether Mary Lou McDonald “turned me on”, the size of my arse and called me a terrorist from the month I started at the Examiner. Since then, I’ve had to go to counselling and the guards.

--

Harris denied these tweets were offensive on Friday afternoon and said there is a long history of writers using pseudonyms.
    Harris said he is one of a rotating panel of people who “curate” the Pym account.

--

Twitter and the Irish Independent's take on the tweets:

Twitter has since decided that the Pym account tweets contravened its user agreements etc. This and other pseudonym account (s) suspended.
    etc etc

--

These are the facts and statements of those involved as it stands. As far I can see them.
    Right, those tweets are not nice, but involving the Gardaí and needing counselling? Seems a bit much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,131 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

--

This account sent me sexualised messages about whether Mary Lou McDonald “turned me on”, the size of my arse and called me a terrorist from the month I started at the Examiner. Since then, I’ve had to go to counselling and the guards.

--

--

Twitter and the Irish Independent's take on the tweets:

Twitter has since decided that the Pym account tweets contravened its user agreements etc. This and other pseudonym account (s) suspended.
    etc etc

--

Apart from the fact he has two legal cases pending and that he has just cone across as deranged in his defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Right, those tweets are not nice, but involving the Gardaí and needing counselling? Seems a bit much.

thats the new snowflake generation of journalists for you ?

cant imagine any of them dodging bullets in allepo

their war is mostly waged on twitter and is about fighting for bathrooms for women with willies

• Registered Users Posts: 14,858 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Everything has to be so melodramatic nowadays.

Too many people in the media cannot seem to tell the difference between stating the facts and creating propaganda.

Apart from the fact he has two legal cases pending and that he has just cone across as deranged in his defence.

Which is why the Indo dumped him. That is the real reason they want to 'distant themselves'.

I can see through that craic as well by the Independent.
    Harris has nowhere to go now, the more he says he the bigger the hole he is digging for himself.
    Even if you just take the optics of it an 79/80 year old male journalist using a pseudonym account to attack a female journalist in her 30's. The 'optics' are not very good.

Which is why the Indo dumped him. That is the real reason they want to 'distant themselves'.

I can see through that craic as well by the Independent.
    Harris has nowhere to go now, the more he says he the bigger the hole he is digging for himself.
    Even if you just take the optics of it an 79/80 year old male journalist using a pseudonym account to attack a female journalist in her 30's. The 'optics' are not very good.

He did much more than just attack one journalist.

Hopefully now any other politicians and 'journalists' in cahoots will be outed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,038 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That Eoghan Harris interview was like a weird version of the Yes/no game....but the only answer your allowed is Sinn Fein.....

Might we finally be shut of Ruth Dudley Edwards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

The interview on Drivetime is top notch. I had been giving out to OH about Sarah McInerney going very hard on Sinn féin after the Abú story and then he comes out with slander about her not covering it.

"Oh would you stop the nonsense".

That is what I thought immediately upon reading the actual tweets following Moore's tweet. Which took away much of the sympathetic reaction the Moore's take did.

But I got savaged on this thread for having the termierty to say that Moore has an agenda and 'playing up' a bit.
    You only need to look at her tweet and replies of 'solidarity' to see what is going on. Playing to the gallery a bit I think.

Even though it is clear Harris is in the wrong to some degree for a lot of reasons. There is a clear narrative forming that some wish not to deviate from.
    It is one that is chosen to get the maximum salacious impact.

Old fashioned journalism brought to the 21st century sphere.
    Moore clearly chose her words very carefully as far as I can see. They were a cleverly written synopsis of her narrative. Fair play to her on that score.
    As many will not read the actual tweets Harris sent they will only make their mind up based on Moore's tweet and not the full picture.

If Harris does not have a leg to stand on before, he certainly does not now. As Moore has turned the incident on it's head and mobilised twitter against Harris.
    Which serves him right in a way.
    As he has been a big enough 'mouth' in the past.

I would like to see it done by all parties. I don't like any of that shady carrying on.
    Something really childish, underhanded and vindictive about it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

[QUOTE=gormdubhgorm;117103953
    Even if you just take the optics of it an 79/80 year old male journalist using a pseudonym account to attack a female journalist in her 30's. The 'optics' are not very good.[/QUOTE]

I really don't get the significance of their ages.

That is what I thought immediately upon reading the actual tweets following Moore's tweet. Which took away much of the sympathetic reaction the Moore's take did.

But I got savaged on this thread for having the termierty to say that Moore has an agenda and 'playing up' a bit.
    You only need to look at her tweet and replies of 'solidarity' to see what is going on. Playing to the gallery a bit I think.

Even though it is clear Harris is in the wrong to some degree for a lot of reasons. There is a clear narrative forming that some wish not to deviate from.
    It is one that is chosen to get the maximum salacious impact.

Old fashioned journalism brought to the 21st century sphere.
    Moore clearly chose her words very carefully as far as I can see. They were a cleverly written synopsis of her narrative. Fair play to her on that score.
    As many will not read the actual tweets Harris sent they will only make their mind up based on Moore's tweet and not the full picture.

If Harris does not have a leg to stand on before, he certainly does not now. As Moore has turned the incident on it's head and mobilised twitter against Harris.
    Which serves him right in a way.
    As he has been a big enough 'mouth' in the past.

I would see no reason not to accept that after reading such tweets she actually did go to the Gardaí and counselling, and felt it necessary. On a personal level, this is deeply concerning for Aoife, mentally, as it would seem very disproportionate, and like I said earlier I hope the counselling has helped her to develop some resiliency. It cannot be nice to be so vulnerable that tweets like that would have such an effect, so I hope she has got some help.

I would see no reason not to accept that after reading such tweets she actually did go to the Gardaí and counselling, and felt it necessary. On a personal level, this is deeply concerning for Aoife, mentally, as it would seem very disproportionate, and like I said earlier I hope the counselling has helped her to develop some resiliency. It cannot be nice to be so vulnerable that tweets like that would have such an effect, so I hope she has got some help.

Going by her twitter account profile I get the impression that she is much stronger individual than that.

She has the the Derry Civil Rights Marches as her background profile.

In her tagline she has described herself as follows:

''Trashy and classless,” Derry product and Political Correspondent for The Irish Examiner.'

She does not seem like 'shrinking violet' to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,535 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

chicorytip wrote: »
    That Alan English fellah is a clown. By the law of averages many print journalists and columnists using pseudonyms must post on social media. Since when has the Sindo developed a code of propriety or politically correct ethos?

Because Harris admitted to it and your man Alan English can't stand over the sexist and abusive nature of the comments. Harris is getting the attention he wants but dear oh dear I'd forgotten how unhinged he was.

• Advertisement

I would like to see it done by all parties. I don't like any of that shady carrying on.
    Something really childish, underhanded and vindictive about it all.

He was a 'journalist' not a party.

Journalism needs to look at itself here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,535 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Ronan McGreevy won't be on twitter for a while

Harris said on Drivetime the others using the account were not journalists. He also said there were 6 others using but it's confirmed that it's 9.

Rosita wrote: »
    I really don't get the significance of their ages.

It does not look good for a start. Elders should know better etc.
    Senior 'Grizzled' Journalist v Junior 'Fairly Green' journalist.

Then add in their genders before even looking at the content discussed. And the scenario of the story.

And immediately allows people to go on the following line:

Outdated male troglodyte abuses, young, heroic, brave, female journalist. An example of 'toxic masculinity' etc

Which is the line many of the replies to Ms Moore (on the issue of Harris) are.

https://twitter.com/aoifegracemoore/status/1390432338253910026

• Registered Users Posts: 4 West Of West

I've never been able to take him as anything other than a blustering idiot since that live TV3 The Political Party interview years ago where he firmly lodged himself up Bertie's back passage and didn't grasp it was live.
    I'm too new to post a link but Youtube is a great invention.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

Going by her twitter account profile I get the impression that she is much stronger individual than that.

''Trashy and classless,” Derry product and Political Correspondent for The Irish Examiner.'

Isn’t that what is more commonly referred to as victim blaming fella?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

It does not look good for a start. Elders should know better etc.
    Senior 'Grizzled' Journalist v Junior 'Fairly Green' journalist.

Then add in their genders before even looking at the content discussed. And the scenario of the story.

And immediately allows people to go on the following line:

Outdated male troglodyte abuses, young, heroic, brave, female journalist. An example of 'toxic masculinity' etc

Which is the line many of the replies to Ms Moore (on the issue of Harris) are.

https://twitter.com/aoifegracemoore/status/1390432338253910026

Not really sure someone of 48/49, or 38/39 should get a free pass on maturity to be honest which is the implied corollary here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I see you're not familiar with obvious satire?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭BingCrosbee

Bar stard. I read the Sindo every week and never ever read his column because of his FF leanings. Delighted for him and his family that he will no longer take up space in the Independent. A reflection on FF, mostly corrupt barstards

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭volchitsa

How does having the civil rights marches in Derry as your profile show that you a tough person? Those of us who grew up there didn't do it because we were tough, we didn't have a choice. Plenty of people in Derry were traumatised by all of that, but you had to put up with it.

As for "trashy and classless", it sounds like irony to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Bar stard. I read the Sindo every week and never ever read his column because of his FF leanings. Delighted for him and his family that he will no longer take up space in the Independent. A reflection on FF, mostly corrupt barstards

Their cartoonist will be getting their P45 too ,I suppose or were they already gone for the MaryLou cauldron ?

Advertisement