Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eoghan Harris terminated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,132 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

No where did I defend Harris I merely said he must have been driven to insantity

So none of my main what I said is true about SF ??? Or has any ounce of truth???

Paraphrasing yourself SF not a 'normal' party.

Come on....

I am not going on your merry go round this time and I will leave it there.

I will come back to this thread later and will expect that you will have those defamation cases linked for me by the way. Good man.

Stating that 'Harris must have been driven to insanity, and he cracked' is to excuse his actions and a defence.
    You just did that...own it.

There are SF threads elsewhere if you want to discuss SF, who have wrongs in their past like any other party.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

• Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Stating that 'Harris must have been driven to insanity, and he cracked' is to excuse his actions and a defence.
    You just did that...own it.

There are SF threads elsewhere if you want to discuss SF, who have wrongs in their past like any other party.

No it is not a defence that is you again trying to put words in my mouth.

Look at it logically Harris hates SF and all they stand for first thing when he wakes up and last thing when he goes asleep.

His views are SF has been let 'off the hook' gone unchecked etc. So his 'genius' idea was to go for constant silly SF attacks no matter what in the Indo. Which I have already noted put me off the paper they were daft. Making a sh!te of the paper basically, along with pure nepotism.

He was on with McInerny on the verge of tears yesterday ranting and raving about an RTE/SF conspiracy against him. Which was really off the wall. The fella is nuts. If anyone needs counseling it is Harris not Moore.

I think SF have 'broken' Harris when it happened who knows when - but the fella is not right in the ceann. Something is wrong somewhere.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Normal One wrote: »

Another meme in the making....

No it is not a defence that is you again trying to put words in my mouth.

Look at it logically Harris hates SF and all they stand for first thing when he wakes up and last thing when he goes asleep.

His views are SF has been let 'off the hook' gone unchecked etc. So his 'genius' idea was to go for constant silly SF attacks no matter what in the Indo. Which I have already noted put me off the paper they were daft. Making a sh!te of the paper basically, along with pure nepotism.

He was on with McInerny on the verge of tears yesterday ranting and raving about an RTE/SF conspiracy against him. Which was really off the wall. The fella is nuts. If anyone needs counseling it is Harris not Moore.

I think SF have 'broken' Harris when it happened who knows when - but the fella is not right in the ceann. Something is wrong somewhere.

If Harris is broken and I don't think he necessarily is, it is because he was cossetted and platform by the journalist profession for years. He and a few others who protect the status quo and power swap to zealous lengths. It is that the focus should now be on.
    No surprise the over zealous are trying to defend/excuse him and make it somebody else's fault, be that another journalist or another political party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Normal One wrote: »

Eoghan must have been in his basement that night in his y-fronts trawling the internet for photos of Claire in a tight dress to go with his extradordinary article,lets hope it was not as he says himself for "masterbation purposes".

• Registered Users Posts: 29,093 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

But I do believe the Moore is 'playing to gallery' and more power to her. That is her strategy it worked.

That is how I see it, why not just block the account like McInerney did? Why return to the same medium - twitter to give her 'take' on the issue?
    Basically fishing as that is what twitter is.

McInerney took a different more traditional route that worked as well.

What exactly do you mean by 'playing to the gallery'? Are you referring to this one tweet?

https://twitter.com/aoifegracemoore/status/1390432338253910026

Why shouldn't she continue to use Twitter? Are you saying that she should have let him bully her off Twitter? The problem isn't Twitter, the problem is some of the idiots that use Twitter in an abusive manner, like Harris did?

McInerney didn't block the account. She muted it, which is generally a better tactic, as it doesn't allow the abusive poster to claim the block as either a badge of honour or a sign of how victimised they are. It just leaves them shouting into the void.

McInerney interviewed Harris, as is her job on radio. Are you saying that Moore should have contacted the man who abused her to the extent of her involving the police and professional counselling to ask him to have a further chat?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭amandstu

What exactly do you mean by 'playing to the gallery'? Are you referring to this one tweet?

https://twitter.com/aoifegracemoore/status/1390432338253910026

Why shouldn't she continue to use Twitter? Are you saying that she should have let him bully her off Twitter? The problem isn't Twitter, the problem is some of the idiots that use Twitter in an abusive manner, like Harris did?

McInerney didn't block the account. She muted it, which is generally a better tactic, as it doesn't allow the abusive poster to claim the block as either a badge of honour or a sign of how victimised they are. It just leaves them shouting into the void.

McInerney interviewed Harris, as is her job on radio. Are you saying that Moore should have contacted the man who abused her to the extent of her involving the police and professional counselling to ask him to have a further chat?
    So she went to the Gards because she had been called a terrorist?
    I wonder what are the details of this?Was the counselling also related to this claimed accusation?

The "sexual" allegations appear risible.

amandstu wrote: »
    I wonder what are the details of this?Was the counselling also related to this claimed accusation?

I don't know the details, but if a journalist decides to go to the Garda about something, it is clearly something they are worried about.

I don't know the details, but if a journalist decides to go to the Garda about something, it is clearly something they are worried about.
    Did Harris (or whoever it was on the "site" ) receive any official -or even unofficial - warning?

To call someone a "terrorist" on a public platform is an extremely serious offence in my eyes if it cannot be backed up.

Does anyone know the details or is this tittle tattle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

DeadHand wrote: »
    Strange case.

Commentators can happily tweet “kill all men”, “kill white people”, “white people are subhuman and should be removed from society” (that one directly from the BLM), “white people are snivelling goblins” and be applauded for it instead of ruined.

The Pym tweets were caustic at most. An indecent amount of spin was required to now have them broadly accepted as abusive. It has been made received wisdom that having one’s backside mentioned non sexually in a communication and other, even milder, vagaries are police matters and traumatic events requiring counselling.

This was much more about the identities and politics of the sender and target than the content of the tweets.

Harris was foolish to play these stupid games on Twitter. He has been clearly psychologically unstable for decades and a break from public life would do him good.

For me, the issue is not so much about Harris. Much more undeserved, dishonest hatchet jobs were carried out against Myers and Hook. It’s about the fact that Ireland is becoming no country for contrary views. It’s about the worrying, increasing dominance of extreme progressivist ideology over Irish society.

This is an ideology that the great majority of the public has no time for yet is embraced fanatically by political and media establishments which have never been so detached from the Irish nation. And it’s currently expressing itself in infinitely more harmful ways than the ruination of Harris, ways which the same media that excoriates him will not subject to anything approaching honest, much less brave, examination. (See the changes to our asylum laws).

Twitter’s famously woke and biased standards are becoming our standards. The entire English speaking world is becoming an American campus.

It’s a bad path we’ve been placed on.

Harris is the Grandfather generation of Woke, he is the eventual conclusion for many of them as they grow older.

The same hectoring righteousness, often driven by severe psychological issues, is the engine of Harris and the woke.

He isn't being kicked off for having a poison pen account attacking random industry colleagues.

It's the legal letters, the damage to the reputation of the paper, the fact that Germans couldn't understand why a man was left write the same article each week for years isn't even the reason.

Harris and his stick comrades were militant promoters of the toxic attitude of the woke and it's long march through the institutions.

Danzy wrote: »
    Harris is the Grandfather generation of Woke, he is the eventual conclusion for many of them as they grow older.

The same hectoring righteousness, often driven by severe psychological issues, is the engine of Harris and the woke.

He isn't being kicked off for having a poison pen account attacking random industry colleagues.

It's the legal letters, the damage to the reputation of the paper, the fact that Germans couldn't understand why a man was left write the same article each week for years isn't even the reason.

Harris and his stick comrades were militant promoters of the toxic attitude of the woke and it's long march through the institutions.
    What legal letters?

What do you mean by "Woke"?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Marking her and her family out as a target for Loyalist paramilitaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

Did Harris (or whoever it was on the "site" ) receive any official -or even unofficial - warning?

To call someone a "terrorist" on a public platform is an extremely serious offence in my eyes if it cannot be backed up.

She went to the Gardaí about the messages before Eoghan Harris was exposed as the user of the account.

Gardaí didn’t do anything about it up to now.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/eoghan-harris-s-secret-account-discovered-as-a-result-of-poll-data-1.4558758?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

What legal letters?

What do you mean by "Woke"?

I have a feeling he means all left wing activists and followers rather than just the loud mouth ones he thinks represent us all. Because he doesn't agree with the views it's easier to lump everyone together.

Same way we could choose to believe all men are insane pompous old farts or women haters cos Harris and his ilk.

I believe it's a ridiculous and reductivist view of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

She went to the Gardaí about the messages before Eoghan Harris was exposed as the user of the account.

Gardaí didn’t do anything about it up to now.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/eoghan-harris-s-secret-account-discovered-as-a-result-of-poll-data-1.4558758?mode=amp

If I were in the public eye and had roots in the North I'd be very quick to challenge any accusations because **** sticks

Marking her and her family out as a target for Loyalist paramilitaries.
    I kind of see that . I would like to hear what Harris might have to say about that.I find him an honest man(just from in print) and hope he would explain what seems to be a bit too indiscreet a comment .(otherwise amusing but no way sexual)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

zanador wrote: »
    If I were in the public eye and had roots in the North I'd be very quick to challenge any accusations because **** sticks

That is what i picked up from his harrasment of her from this account.

He was calling her a terrorist from the time she started with the IE for no other reason than she had different views to him and she was a Catholic from Derry.

They seemed to hone in on the fact she was from Derry and targeted her and put it out there that she was fair game for some reason and it is very possible she could be targeted by loyalists nutjobs because of Harris.

Irish journalists knew this was happening,they knew who was behind this account and not one man or woman of them stood up and said enough.
    The only reason we are talking about this is not because of Irish journalism and some of them are trying to still defend the indefensible.

The irish media would not stand up for a woman in their own ranks then what chance have we of getting a free and fair press.

Irish media is in crisis for years and no one believes them any more

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Absolutely, Harris was the most doctrinaire of the Workers Party commissars, the tactics they used to blaggard and remove their opponents is the playbook that the woke types inherited.

Hopefully he enjoys that petard he's now dangling from

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

I kind of see that . I would like to hear what Harris might have to say about that.I find him an honest man(just from in print) and hope he would explain what seems to be a bit too indiscreet a comment .(otherwise amusing but no way sexual)

He has never been honest. From day one. Even back in the day he was intriguing against his party leaders, against colleagues in RTE, against everyone who doesn't hold his neo-unionist views and his bizarre and particularly harmful interpretation of Stalinism. The man was the leading communist ideologue in the country, cosying up to the USSR and various other nasty communist regimes, all the while his party never got more than 5% of the vote. And that 5% came after they saw the cracks in communism and had jumped off the ship like the other rats.

Then himself and Dunphy led the pack of hounds that went after Hume for attempting to make the country better.

And then in more recent years you have him pushing the revisionist history and utterly discredited claims of Peter Hart.

All the while this was going on he jumped about from more or less every party that ever existed. IIRC the PDs were the only ones he didn't cosy up to. Which is strange considering you'd have thought their economically liberal views would have suited his accelerationist intentions for capitalism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity

This quote rings true here. Harris carved out a niche for himself as a sort of Unionist sympathizer. His bullish confrontational style carried him though, a lot like the way that wafer thin bluffer Farage did with UKIP.

Strip away the bravado and he is left badly exposed. The Sindo has long held an anti Sinn Fein line and Harris was the conduit for it. The new editor seems to have taken a different stance from previous regimes and this story is the result.

tipptom wrote: »

Irish media is in crisis for years and no one believes them any more

Yes, a section of the media is. And two words are important there. 'section' rather than all, and 'media' as opposed to journalism which is different to what Harris was.
    Sarah Carey has reopened her Twitter account and has managed to drag the Indo's name as a credible place for journalism through the muck again today.
    https://twitter.com/search?q=%22Sarah%20Carey%22&src=trend_click&vertical=trends

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

What she has disclosed in terms of abuse is only the tip of the iceberg surely? Complaints were made some time ago to Gardaí and I’d imagine she would not disclose full details online for all to see when the story broke as this could jeopardise a case against any complaint she has made. Just speculating but she would surely know this much. So I think the whole “it’s no big deal non sexual” argument is somewhat up in the air at the moment.

He is 100% not an honest man, he’s a serious oddball, and I am only learning and reading about him as I do not read the independent. A man of his age carrying on the way he does is very sad, and I don’t mean that in a derogatory way. I mean it in a way that he should be pitied, he’s clearly not mentally well and is nearing the end of his life. To spend time at that age on a bogus Twitter account spewing bile, hate and abuse towards people is pathetic and very strange.

I have never heard of SF sue anyone for calling a member of its fraternity membership/sympathiser a terrorist in a court of law.
    So it should be interesting to see what happens next.

From Harris's myopic viewpoint SF = terrorist. All tarred with the same brush. Sinn Fein sympathiser = terrorist all tarred with the same brush.

Will Harris be 'got' on merely the harassment angle or a defamation of character one?

It should be interesting. Which way it goes if and when it goes to court.
    More than likely I would say Harris would settle instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Yes, a section of the media is. And two words are important there. 'section' rather than all, and 'media' as opposed to journalism which is different to what Harris was.
    Sarah Carey has reopened her Twitter account and has managed to drag the Indo's name as a credible place for journalism through the muck again today.
    https://twitter.com/search?q=%22Sarah%20Carey%22&src=trend_click&vertical=trends

From one of the quotes, '...the brass neck of a liar'. The Indo gets rid of one liability and replaces him with another looper.
    I hope these clowns continue to cheerlead for FFG.

In my experience, Twitter doesn't act on name calling, only on explicit threats of violence.

Is this the Trumpian tactic of naming something as the exact opposite of what the rest of the world thinks and hoping that some sh1t sticks?

Isn't Harris the exact opposite of woke - misogynistic, establishment figure, difficulties dealing with young ladies with contrary views?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Piehead

Sad state of affairs. A great man with a wonderful intellect done down again. Only in time will we realise what Harris’ potential could have been - he may have been the best Taoiseach we never had. Why in this country do we not appreciate the truly great people we have until it’s too late? When Bertie made him Senator he could have also made him Minister for Foreign Affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Listening to the SF/IRA apologists, you'd think that they would never have any fake social media profiles and that they are all upstanding citizens.

Harris' problem is he is too outspoken and got caught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Piehead wrote: »
    Sad state of affairs. A great man with a wonderful intellect done down again. Only in time will we realise what Harris’ potential could have been - he may have been the best Taoiseach we never had. Why in this country do we not appreciate the truly great people we have until it’s too late? When Bertie made him Senator he could have also made him Minister for Foreign Affairs.

It's better to start out with a subtle approach.

Advertisement