Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eoghan Harris terminated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Very good in Westworld and the Abyss, I was guessing Mo Harris from Eastenders

I thought it could have been Rick Harris from the Pawn Shop or maybe Whispering Bob Harris from the Old Grey Whistle Test.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Jaysci20

Harris made a reasonable point about pressure from Sinn Féin (presumably in the form of their extensive online presence) influencing his Twitter suspension to which McInerney responded, "Ah, will you stop with the nonsense". McInerney let herself down badly and lost any semblance of objectivity with that comment. I found Harris was slightly losing the rag, a man under pressure; equally I found McInerney to be patronising and condescending, and I am puzzled by all the adulation being poured on her - some people are easily impressed.

I'm no fan of Harris since he was instrumental in Bertie's re-election in 2007 and was rewarded with a Senate seat in return. But the Twitter account's comments referring to an arse in the air were relatively innocuous. Another victim of the 'woke' generation this time blended with Sinn Fein's online army.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Jaysci20 wrote: »
    Harris made a reasonable point about pressure from Sinn Féin (presumably in the form of their extensive online presence) influencing his Twitter suspension to which McInerney responded, "Ah, will you stop with the nonsense". McInerney let herself down badly and lost any semblance of objectivity with that comment. I found Harris was slightly losing the rag, a man under pressure; equally I found McInerney to be patronising and condescending, and I am puzzled by all the adulation being poured on her - some people are easily impressed.

I'm no fan of Harris since he was instrumental in Bertie's re-election in 2007 and was rewarded with a Senate seat in return. But the Twitter account's comments referring to an arse in the air were relatively innocuous. Another victim of the 'woke' generation this time blended with Sinn Fein's online army.

She called him out on it 'cause he was talking sh1te. He was sacked for leaking info and at the last count there are three law suits pending.
    This lad is no martyr.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    She called him out on it 'cause he was talking sh1te.

Does Twitter suspend every sock puppet or anonymous account?

Does Twitter suspend every sock puppet or anonymous account?

Only those were complaints are made against them with pending or possible civil cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

"Ah will you stop with the nonsense" = letting yourself down badly, losing any semblance of objectivity

“Moore thinks she is sniping safely from behind Derry hedges, but she’s actually sniping from an ROI hedge in the Examiner and her Sinn Féin backside is sticking up in the air” = relatively innocuous

Ok

There were other posts. Even McInerney herself had blocked him.

Why was Trump's account which was spewing $hite left running for years until just 2 weeks before he was certain to be voted out of office? It seems to me the tech bros aren't all that consistent in the application of their policies, and are in fact more guided by popular public sentiment. If any party could drum up an online pile on, SF could.

Why was Trump's account which was spewing $hite left running for years until just 2 weeks before he was certain to be voted out of office? It seems to me the tech bros aren't all that consistent in the application of policies and are more guided by popular public sentiment. If any party could drum up an online pipe on, SF could.

Trump and SF to defend Harris.
    Good night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

I heard they got Trump banned too. The feckers.

• Advertisement

I heard they got Trump banned too. The feckers.

Twitter did, yes.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    "Ah will you stop with the nonsense" = letting yourself down badly, losing any semblance of objectivity

“Moore thinks she is sniping safely from behind Derry hedges, but she’s actually sniping from an ROI hedge in the Examiner and her Sinn Féin backside is sticking up in the air” = relatively innocuous

Ok

"Backside in the air". That's outrageous?

OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭amandstu

OK.
    That is harmless imo but the "sniping" comment might need to be justified.

Actually I thought I saw a very similar cartoon accompanying one of his pieces in the Sindo over the past year or so.

Does anyone else recall it? Seems (from memory) like it may have been of someone in a hedge ,but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Twitter did, yes.

Yeah, that’s what I meant. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Really? How about these troll accounts targeting the likes of Aoife Grace Moore. Do you condone it?

https://twitter.com/bot_shinner/status/1391129106037739533?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 29,093 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Fann Linn wrote: »
    There were other posts. Even McInerney herself had blocked him.

Muted, not blocked.

Why was Trump's account which was spewing $hite left running for years until just 2 weeks before he was certain to be voted out of office? It seems to me the tech bros aren't all that consistent in the application of their policies, and are in fact more guided by popular public sentiment. If any party could drum up an online pile on, SF could.

Trump because he was a pretty big public personality, during the time he was in office they started to crack down more but gave him allowances cause he was president, they said as much. They eventually banned him because he was terrible pr. An anonymous troll account is something they'll ban straight away if there's potential legal issues.

Sinn Fein do not have enough influence to get a Twitter account shutdown. On top of that, the account was so incredibly stupid, I don't think they'd care if it remained online. It wasn't showing up SF or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭golfball37

Using an anonymous account to post things like Harris nails it today, Eoghan Harris is spot on once again etc etc is what I find most disturbing tbh. This is someone who needs help, his interview with Sarah only confirmed this.
    I hope he seeks it as id hate to be in that head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

From reading the Sindo’s editorial today :

It appears that Alan English was more upset that Peter V’s wife was targeted by a fake loyalist account named ‘Northern Whig’ and that he himself was targeted, than concern for Aoife Grace Moore or standards

Also, he seems to be top toeing around the fact that Ruth Didley and others at the “newspaper” were likely involved

Furthermore, there is this:

“I told him I suspected his involvement in other anonymous accounts and that I proposed to name a few of them. Dolly White, he said, was “definitely not me”. He claimed ‘Dolly’ was a former student of his, a woman in her 40s who had the ability to get inside his head and know what he was thinking. Further, the tweets were written in a way that was “not my prose style”, he said. I disagreed with this.”

Jeepers!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Harris has been a loony for many years now. Sunday indo well rid of him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

OK.

I never said it was.

If you asked to put it on a scale of outrageous comments though, it would probably be higher than "stop with the nonsense".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Harris has been a loony for many years now. Sunday indo well rid of him

How the hell did it take this long?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

It appears that Alan English was more upset that Peter V’s wife was targeted by a fake loyalist account named ‘Northern Whig’ and that he himself was targeted, than concern for Aoife Grace Moore or standards

Also, he seems to be top toeing around the fact that Ruth Didley and others at the “newspaper” were likely involved

“I told him I suspected his involvement in other anonymous accounts and that I proposed to name a few of them. Dolly White, he said, was “definitely not me”. He claimed ‘Dolly’ was a former student of his, a woman in her 40s who had the ability to get inside his head and know what he was thinking. Further, the tweets were written in a way that was “not my prose style”, he said. I disagreed with this.”

Jeepers!

I suspect Dudley Edwards is up to her armpits in this also, watch this space.

A paid online troll for years, you would have to wonder if she frequented these boards at times too,

Hopefully she's next to be exposed and dropped.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I never said it was.

If you asked to put it on a scale of outrageous comments though, it would probably be higher than "stop with the nonsense".

"Ah will you stop the nonsense" was part of the supposed filleting of a nearly 80-year old man in poor health when he offered an explanation that perhaps Twitter were responding to a storm created by Sinn Fein supporters. McInerney's comment wasn't outrageous, it was however just playing for the galleries and lacked professionalism.

Bringing in her own experience of muting the account without actually saying any of the offending Tweets was weak. And so far, the only comment from this supposed vile and creepy account referred to a journalist's "backside in the air". Maybe Harris had a point about the whipped up frenzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,132 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The defenders of Harris will keep focusing on the exchange they think they can vindicate him on (the Moore one) and ignore the many other exchanges. Emma DeSouza was targeted too and raises one of the wider issues, the attack by some in the media on select Northern voices.

https://twitter.com/EmmandJDeSouza/status/1391324976280657921

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,640 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's a big difference between the 'stop the nonsense' comment and what harris was saying on twitter.
    mcinerney said it to his face (metaphorically speaking) and he knew who was saying it.

Harris is quoted in today's Sunday Times as saying he has "terminal cancer".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭golfball37

Harris is quoted in today's Sunday Times as saying he has "terminal cancer".

He was diagnosed with cancer a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Not strictly Harris related but I see a few public figures and well known professionals behaving very strangely on twitter and I'v got to wonder what is going on in their life in the background.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Jeepers!

This Nothern Whig account was targeting another northern female journalist also Martina Devlin. I find it interesting this account interacted with Pat Leahy and Philip Ryan.

Yesterday was an eye opener seeing some of the stuff being posted to female journalists. Take this one for example.

https://twitter.com/trishdevlin/status/1390980672907583489?s=19

Advertisement