Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eoghan Harris terminated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Rosita wrote: »
    Yeah, no doubt twitter is home to despicable people who have the freedom to write despicable things. Harris seems to one of those despicable people.

But S McInerney's reference to muting him is not evidence in that regard. Maybe she is highly sensitive and over-reacted. We don't know, which is why it's irrelevant.

Well no, what you mean is you don't know whether it's relevant or not.

Obviously Sarah McInerney felt it was relevant, it's her job to decide this sort of thing so I'd want to know why anyone, even you, would take your opinion on that over hers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭blackcard

Because she said she muted the account with giving any indication why or what was said. For all we know she might have been completely disproportionate in muting it but since she didn't say why it is irrelevant. One person's "abuse" could be another's fair comment. Secondly she was making the issue about herself personally. Even if she could stand up the other matter it wasn't about her.

If she wanted to make it relevant then say what was said and let him defend/explain it, and acknowledge that she was going to pursue a personal gripe rather than give a broader interview.

My instinct is that she knew this guy was a beaten docket before the interview started and that her comments would go down well with the cohort which would enjoy a voyeuristic interview. Unfortunately this weakened her against an aggressive, assertive, and naturally angry interviewee. This allowed him to control the terms of the interview from a severely disadvantageous start.

Ah, Will you stop with that nonsense

But I have also had a gawk at 'An Phoblacht' on occasion just as bad and transparently biased if not worse. Because it seems life and death is only worth how much propaganda they can make out of it.

An Phoblacht isn’t a national paper. I for one wouldn’t know how to buy it. The supposedly independent Independent is a national paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭golfball37

He certainly is not denying it, gave tacit support to Harris' vile views

Irish Times now have questions to answer with him considering 90% of its output is faux liberalism, silence from Una Mulally, Jennifer O'Connell no doubt as its one of their own

Would not surprise me if Stephen Collins was involved also

Pat Leahy is tagged on a lot of the Harris tweets also.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Jaysci20

It was poor by McInerney to get personal with Harris by referencing that she had muted (not even blocked) his account. I would have expected better from a national broadcaster journalist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭golfball37

Jaysci20 wrote: »
    It was poor by McInerney to get personal with Harris by referencing that she had muted (not even blocked) his account. I would have expected better from a national broadcaster journalist.

As was said already he started it by questioning her motivation as she had done her research. He was fair game for anything after that.

golfball37 wrote: »
    As was said already he started it by questioning her motivation as she had done her research. He was fair game for anything after that.

That was funny. I laughed out loud at that. Giving out to a journalist for having done her research.

I suppose it wasn't a thing, back when Eoghan was at RTE. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,535 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Dunphy was worse.

He was. I recall that as well. Dunphy knew what side his bread was buttered on. He fell out with the SIndo after and changed his tune. At the time of the Hume Adams axis he knew his place and followed the disgraceful line from Harris, Cruise O’Brien and the other lunatics.

Would have been very difficult to get a gig in Irish print journalism for someone with balanced views with the likes of Harris blustering around the place. Harris will leave a disgusting legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭BQQ

Right to reply? About her "muting" an account on twitter? Without her specifying why it was "muted"?

I imagine someone as angry as him probably targeted hundreds of people. Why would she think she's so special that he'd specifically remember her and what was said to her? There was no argument to make.

You've made this claim a number of times now.
    She very clearly specified that she muted the account because of personalised abuse.

Here's another woman he trolled. (It always seems to be women he has a problem with)

https://twitter.com/MaryMcAuliffe4/status/1390415930673541124

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

EH: Let me finish please here. I believe that they suspended nine Twitter accounts. You just make these wild chargers associated with me. All these accounts ever did was retweet political tweets from Barbara Pym’s accounts, supporting my line. Just to support an anti-Sinn Féin line now is enough to get a Twitter account suspended.

SM: But that’s not all those accounts ever did. I had personal experience of the Barbara Pym account which I had to mute because of the tweets they were sending in relation to me and at me.

Yep. She brought it up out of nowhere - it is completely irrelevant and it definitely doesn't serve to counter or address any of his claims. He was in complete control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

McMurphy wrote: »
    Hundreds of people, including the very person he agreed to let interview him, exactly why it was relevant in that interview.

It would heve been bizaare to not have mentioned it and could have even been construed as McInerney trying to hide something if it came out later that she needed to mute this account.
    Especially in light of how this person seemed to target women journalists for abuse like herself, and even worse for the women in irish journalism,how he was able to recruit women journalists to join in his abuse of women journalists and who now still defend him like some cultist mob about to implode.

Maria Cahill, a rape victim of an IRA member, was accused of being a "lying b1tch", a sick b****, a slapper, digusting, a parasite, a psycho-b1tch, a compulsive liar, a vicious fantasist, deserved to be raped" by an army of Sinn Fein anonymous accounts when she went public.

It puts Harris' "vile" tweet into context about someone's "backside in the air".

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Yep. She brought it up out of nowhere - it is completely irrelevant and it definitely doesn't serve to counter or address any of his claims. He was in complete control.

Oh look, it's Eoghan. Welcome back.

;)

TheCitizen wrote: »
    He was. I recall that as well. Dunphy knew what side his bread was buttered on. He fell out with the SIndo after and changed his tune. At the time of the Hume Adams axis he knew his place and followed the disgraceful line from Harris, Cruise O’Brien and the other lunatics.

Would have been very difficult to get a gig in Irish print journalism for someone with balanced views with the likes of Harris blustering around the place. Harris will leave a disgusting legacy.

I actually googled that and read again about dunphy and Hume; I had forgotten. The piece I read was a fairly elegant attack on the independent in the early 90s.fairly normal says you.

Except it was in the Independent and written by the Editor. Alan English.

Clearly there is a new guard.

https://m.independent.ie/opinion/comment/letter-from-the-editor-john-hume-vindicated-by-the-hand-of-history-39434383.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

volchitsa wrote: »
    Oh look, it's Eoghan.

I probably should have added a :pac: to get across the sarcasm.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I probably should have added a :pac: to get across the sarcasm.

(I got it myself on second reading - sorry for being slow!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭HBC08

Because she said she muted the account with giving any indication why or what was said. For all we know she might have been completely disproportionate in muting it but since she didn't say why it is irrelevant. One person's "abuse" could be another's fair comment. Secondly she was making the issue about herself personally. Even if she could stand up the other matter it wasn't about her.

If she wanted to make it relevant then say what was said and let him defend/explain it, and acknowledge that she was going to pursue a personal gripe rather than give a broader interview.

My instinct is that she knew this guy was a beaten docket before the interview started and that her comments would go down well with the cohort which would enjoy a voyeuristic interview. Unfortunately this weakened her against an aggressive, assertive, and naturally angry interviewee. This allowed him to control the terms of the interview from a severely disadvantageous start.

She has a high profile and is a public personality.
    She's been on Twitter for 12 years and in that time has muted only 15 accounts.I think that indicates that what that account was posting about her was probably pretty bad.
    I'm saying that as someone who thinks that tweet to Aoife Moore was completely harmless and she's milking it (whoever she is,I never heard of her)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭shockframe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Odhinn

fvp4 wrote: »
    I actually googled that and read again about dunphy and Hume; I had forgotten. The piece I read was a fairly elegant attack on the independent in the early 90s.fairly normal says you.

Except it was in the Independent and written by the Editor. Alan English.

Clearly there is a new guard.

https://m.independent.ie/opinion/comment/letter-from-the-editor-john-hume-vindicated-by-the-hand-of-history-39434383.html

One might hope to see it move on Dudley Edwards in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Maria Cahill, a rape victim of an IRA member

I seem to recall the accused was acquitted in court but that won't halt your gallop, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Maria Cahill, a rape victim of an IRA member, was accused of being a "lying b1tch", a sick b****, a slapper, digusting, a parasite, a psycho-b1tch, a compulsive liar, a vicious fantasist, deserved to be raped" by an army of Sinn Fein anonymous accounts when she went public.

It puts Harris' "vile" tweet into context about someone's "backside in the air".

These people are scumbags.

The whatabouttery is irrelevant though.

Bambi wrote: »
    I seem to recall the accused was acquitted in court but that won't halt your gallop, eh?

Ah, are you referring to the IRA kangaroo court she had to attend where she had to face her rapist?

Ah, are you referring to the IRA kangaroo court she had to attend where she had to face her rapist?

Nope an actual court of law, shouldnt you do a little research before going off on one? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Quick,look over there,its a bunny rabbit.

Nope an actual court of law, shouldnt you do a little research before going off on one? :confused:

Oh, it wasn't the IRA kangaroo court you were referring to which she was forced to attend to face her rapist. It was the actual justice system. On that:

"Having had her credibility questioned by republicans, Ms Cahill has been vindicated by a series of high profile reports.

In 2015, Keir Starmer, former Director of Public Prosecutions in England and Wales, published an independent review which was highly critical of the Public Prosecution Service in Northern Ireland, listing a series of failings and describing how the three women had been 'let down.'

This week the Police Ombudsman found that the victims in this case were 'failed' by a disjointed PSNI investigation and recommended that four officers be disciplined.

Chief Constable George Hamilton has apologised for the 'hurt and distress' caused to the victims and for the failures in the police investigation"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

tipptom wrote: »
    Quick,look over there,its a bunny rabbit.

Is it the big pink one with Shergar?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

These lads are great. Dragging Maria Cahill, Trump, SF, Jesus Mary & Joseph and the wee donkey and every other deflection into this to divert the thread.
    Maybe it's time if a Mod could slowly divert us back on track as I thought the SF thread was over there>>>>

Oh, it wasn't the IRA kangaroo court you were referring to which she was forced to attend to face her rapist. It was the actual justice system. On that:

"Having had her credibility questioned by republicans, Ms Cahill has been vindicated by a series of high profile reports.

In 2015, Keir Starmer, former Director of Public Prosecutions in England and Wales, published an independent review which was highly critical of the Public Prosecution Service in Northern Ireland, listing a series of failings and describing how the three women had been 'let down.'

This week the Police Ombudsman found that the victims in this case were 'failed' by a disjointed PSNI investigation and recommended that four officers be disciplined.

Chief Constable George Hamilton has apologised for the 'hurt and distress' caused to the victims and for the failures in the police investigation"

None of which is why her accused was acquiited, have a read of the court documents

Have to say its sorta weird that the usual likely lads seem to have been susbstitued by no mark accounts that have togged out to supply the shinner whataboutery responses. The Harris thing seems to have really spooked certain quarters :confused:

None of which is why her accused was acquiited, have a read of the court documents

Have to say its sorta weird that the usual likely lads seem to have been susbstitued by no mark accounts that have togged out to supply the shinner whataboutery responses. The Harris thing seems to have really spooked certain quarters :confused:

I just wonder why Twitter is not consistent in the application of its own policies on abuse. I mean if "backside in the air" gets banned, why not vile abusive comments toward a victim of an IRA rapist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I just wonder why Twitter is not consistent in the application of its own policies on abuse. I mean if "backside in the air" gets banned, why not vile abusive comments toward a victim who exposed an IRA rapist?

Perhaps it's more to do with 3 civil cases pending.

Advertisement