Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eoghan Harris terminated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,703 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Annasopra wrote: »

But I'd expect him to be a mysogynist prick about it and say it was only her looks that inspired him.
    We have seen him do this before.
    https://www.independent.ie/regionals/herald/lifestyle/the-energy-that-she-exudes-is-always-sexual-29275407.html

Not wanting to sound like some sort of a prude here, but that article is the very definition of objectifying women.
    I mean, Clare Daly is an elected politician, and he dedicates a full article in a national newspaper to her appearance and sexual relationship ?

(At least he put his name to it I suppose !)

golfball37 wrote: »

It would be conspiratorial if we posted it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Sweaty palms (or lower regions) times for some.

The Irish Times seems determined to frame Harris and Co's trolling as 'anti Sinn Féin'.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,053 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

from what i saw of the archives of the tweets of the second suspended account, every second tweet seemed to use the word 'shinner' as an insult.

accusing harris of being anti SF is like accusing francois mitterand of being french, surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭golfball37

The Irish Times seems determined to frame Harris and Co's trolling as 'anti Sinn Féin'.

The way they labelled anyone who didn’t vehemently tow the line as shinners was disgraceful, but not unique

from what i saw of the archives of the tweets of the second suspended account, every second tweet seemed to use the word 'shinner' as an insult.

accusing harris of being anti SF is like accusing francois mitterand of being french, surely?

Harris probably fancied himself as leading an anti-UI campaign. His partitionism was about shutting down any northern voice that wasn't Unionist and elevating unionism to something it wasn't. He wasn't just anti-SF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

fvp4 wrote: »
    It would be conspiratorial if we posted it here.

Sure wasnt the whole phone tapping scandal Charlie and the lads trying to keep tabs on the likes of Madam Editor and their conversations with some very intelligent chaps across the water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Just reading through some recent posts, it is very clear that ‘Gormdubhgorm’ has a very poor understanding of Irish history or the British commonwealth or what actually is fact or fiction

Mostly strawmanning, clichés, illogical theories and sheer inaccuracies - no doubt garnered from years of “learning” it through the Sindo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Just reading through some recent posts, it is very clear that ‘Gormdubhgorm’ has a very poor understanding of Irish history or the British commonwealth or what actually is fact or fiction

Mostly strawmanning, clichés, illogical theories and sheer inaccuracies - no doubt garnered from years of “learning” it through the Sindo

GDG is not Harris. :P

There's a few other likely lads on here I'd wonder about though, one of whom hasnt surfaced for air since Eoghan was exposed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Probably just doing the groundwork now before the rest of their buddies are outed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

To protect Mr Whig Northern’s followers by any chance?, a certain Ronan McGreevy and Pat Leahy (an actual political editor!)

In the actual article :

“Much of the content from the account was directed at Sinn Féin and nationalists, as well as journalists it saw as not being critical of the party.”

Headline is much more narrower, sub editor got in no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭JamesFlynn

Myers and Harris didn't mind when they were directing the media mob which was all powerful in its day. They don't like it when they get a belt of it though, hoisted by their own petard.

Myers "directing the media mob", with a weekly opinion piece in a paper with a circulation 60 thousand, or slightly more when he moved to the indo?

Completely unfair accusation.
    He was hardly directing pepe armies on 4chan.

He also regularly changed his mind and could be convinced by an opposing argument - something I don't know those who cancelled him could be.

Kevin Myers - What Was Achieved by Adams and Mcguinness stands out as a Perfect Model of Courage

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Jaysci20

Terry Prone seems to be getting some significant attention today for her unwarranted attack on Harris. Something about her denial of the existence of fetal remains in Tuam just a few years ago:

'if you come here you'll find no mass grave, no evidence that children were ever so buried, a local police force casting their eyes to heaven and saying, yeah, a few bones were found', Prone said.

796 babies and children are in fact buried on the site. It seems there was an attempt to undermine the work of historian Catherine Corless. I wonder what the survivors who were mocked just a few years ago make of Prone's moralising today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,048 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Jaysci20 wrote: »
    Terry Prone seems to be getting some significant attention today for her unwarranted attack on Harris. Something about her denial of the existence of fetal remains in Tuam just a few years ago:

'if you come here you'll find no mass grave, no evidence that children were ever so buried, a local police force casting their eyes to heaven and saying, yeah, a few bones were found', Prone said.

796 babies and children are in fact buried on the site. It seems there was an attempt to undermine the work of historian Catherine Corless. I wonder what the survivors who were mocked just a few years ago make of Prone's moralising today.

They'll have been glad that she called out angry loony Mother Superior Harris.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Jaysci20

Danzy wrote: »
    They'll have been glad that she called out angry loony Mother Superior Harris.

It seems she half-apologised to historian Catherine Corless, another great servant of this State. I imagine she will soon be doing the same to Harris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,048 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It seems she half-apologised to historian Catherine Corless, another great servant of this State. I imagine she will soon be doing the same to Harris.

Now that is one thing we know won't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,436 ✭✭✭jmcc

The IP address data could be important especially if the IP address ranges from which the Twitter accounts were set up or used were from non-ISP owned IP ranges. The e-mail addresses could be equally problematic if they were on corporate domain names rather than ISP or public e-mail services.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

A reminder that trying to identify the person behind their boards account is doxxxing and is against site rules. Dont do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Facts matter.

Source (pdf)

The unionists demanded and were granted a split before Irish Republicanism got going again in 1916. SF did not cause partition. Come back to me when you accept this.

It wasn't officially granted though.

I would be more in line with Cormac Moore that Sinn Fein did not help itself, they definitely played a part in causing partition. A creation of 'them' and 'us'.

https://www.irishnews.com/arts/2020/09/02/news/partition-100-years-on-how-sinn-fe-in-s-belfast-boycott-helped-thwart-irish-unity-2052476/

Where was the conciliatory noises? Compromise?.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

As the bould Eoghan would say"you seem to have got the awful horn for her" since she called out your hero in her radio interview.

Your trying hard to get deflection bites on her and SF since and it does not seem to be working,how about trying to tell us what she said wrong about Harris as this is what the thread is about,because i dont know anyone who does not think she was on point with this except for a few old guard journos fron the Sindo who are running out of caves to take pot shots thinking the war is still ongoing and their emperor still has clothes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,745 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Baggly wrote: »
    doxxxing

*Tucks new word away in memory bank*:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,225 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

This could get very interesting and set some important precedents.

There will be a lot of sweaty palms out there, and people like Mairia Cahill, Leo Varadkar and others could make hay out of the outcome. What rocks will be overturned?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

It wasn't officially granted though.

I would be more in line with Cormac Moore that Sinn Fein did not help itself, they definitely played a part in causing partition. A creation of 'them' and 'us'.

https://www.irishnews.com/arts/2020/09/02/news/partition-100-years-on-how-sinn-fe-in-s-belfast-boycott-helped-thwart-irish-unity-2052476/

Where was the conciliatory noises? Compromise?.

You said:
    Plus Irish history would have been a lot better off if Ireland at least bided it's time in the Commonwealth it would at least a have remained United until SF spilt it.
    SF basically did divide Ireland they lit the spark the rest is semantics.

The reality is the British were the only crowd who ever United Ireland. It was SF who ended up causing the split. And it was FG who were left to declare a Republic with the 1948 Act Which I still kind of love the irony of I have to admit.

I have demonstrated that this is false. The "spark" was lit by Daniel O'Connell, carried on by CS Parnell and John Redmond. Unionists were never going to accept 32 county home rule. All this happened before 1916, before the War of Independence, and before SF were an electoral force.

These are facts. That you cannot accept these facts and that you are still going on about SF causing partition shows that you have no interest in honest discussion. Most people when faced with evidence that their pontifications are wrong would accept the evidence. Why can't you?

blanch152 wrote: »
    This could get very interesting and set some important precedents.

There will be a lot of sweaty palms out there, and people like Mairia Cahill, Leo Varadkar and others could make hay out of the outcome. What rocks will be overturned?

Leo 'anonymous accounts' Varadkar would be very nervous about this would he not?

BTW anyone who abuses online from anonymous accounts deserves all they get.

You said:

I have demonstrated that this is false. The "spark" was lit by Daniel O'Connell, carried on by CS Parnell and John Redmond. Unionists were never going to accept 32 county home rule. All this happened before 1916, before the War of Independence, and before SF were an electoral force.

These are facts. That you cannot accept these facts and that you are still going on about SF causing partition shows that you have no interest in honest discussion. Most people when faced with evidence that their pontifications are wrong would accept the evidence. Why can't you?

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't it Sinn Fein TDs who voted to ratify the Treaty in 1922?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't it Sinn Fein TDs who voted to ratify the Treaty in 1922?

So what?

It would hardly be a groundbreaking new thesis to point out that the second Dáil accepted and began the implementation of partition. It certainly doesn't mean that they caused partition.

Leo 'anonymous accounts' Varadkar would be very nervous about this would he not?

BTW anyone who abuses online from anonymous accounts deserves all they get.

Have you seen the vitriol hurled at Varadkar from Twitter and other social media accounts with little Tricolours?

No, scratch that, you would probably require me to prove that the relevant people have been convicted in a court of law.

• Advertisement

Have you seen the vitriol hurled at Varadkar from Twitter and other social media accounts with little Tricolours?

No, scratch that, you would probably require me to prove that the relevant people have been convicted in a court of law.

I have seen abuse hurled at all politicians and others blanch.

Your cry from the heart for Leo, is touching...but why would you do it for one who has advocated hiding behind anonymous accounts?

Advertisement