Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eoghan Harris terminated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Jaysci20

One thing Sinn Fein always accuses Denis O'Brien of is taking full advantage of defamation laws and the silencing effect it can have on media, journalists, and others.

Sinn Fein has even recently called for reform of our defamation laws. It is interesting though to see they are chief users of these same laws - one TD paid out 150k last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

jmcc wrote: »
    Seems that a third legal action is being taken against Harris:
    https://twitter.com/AllisonMorris1/status/1392438437131833347

Regards...jmcc

It is interesting how she termed it 'women in the media' and not simply 'journalists and others in the media' for example.

It does add more 'bite' to the statement though. That is for sure.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭Is this the end

Jaysci20 wrote: »
    Even if there was merit in any of those cases which I doubt any objective person will find there is, there's a good chance Harris will be dead before those Sinn Fein-sympathising journalists (or others who feel they are victims) get their money.

Would this be the same Sinn Fein sympathising journalist Aoife Moore who broke the big story regarding the SF asked 2 MLAs to stand aside before anyone else?

The same Aoife Moore on 7 December 2020 had an article with the headline "Aoife Moore: Sinn Féin can't keep playing the victim"

Very sympathetic indeed

Would this be the same Sinn Fein sympathising journalist Aoife Moore who broke the big story regarding the SF asked 2 MLAs to stand aside before anyone else?

The same Aoife Moore on 7 December 2020 had an article with the headline "Aoife Moore: Sinn Féin can't keep playing the victim"

Very sympathetic indeed

Aoife Moore is still clearly a SF supporter. I have read a few of her articles and her statements. Her narrative is that she she see's SF as the potential to be focal point of a new Ireland. And should be more progressive etc etc. The past and history that are unpalatable can now be forgotten.

At least that is my take on her line she would like SF to be pro choice - north and south. And likes the fact that female leadership in SF appears to be at the forefront of the party.

Mary Lou leader of the opposition in the Dail - first female to do so. Which Moore was chuffed about and lead to a Harris 'retort' on twitter.

Moore seems to view SF as the potential to be at the vanguard of a creation of a new Ireland etc. And is disappointed in them when they do not meet up to those expectations. Given her family background, age, and where she was brought up etc.

However she has been critical of SF having a dual approach on the pro-choice issue both north and south of the border. Glossing over the less 'murky' issues.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/commentanalysis/arid-40245716.html

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/commentanalysis/arid-31009082.html

That at least is my take on the woman's general viewpoints. You can correct me if I am wrong, if I have somehow misinterpreted them

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It is interesting how she termed it 'women in the media' and not simply 'journalists and others in the media' for example.

It does add more 'bite' to the statement though. That is for sure.

Interesting or accurate?

• Advertisement

Aoife Moore is still clearly a SF supporter. I have read a few of her articles and her statements. Her narrative is that she she see's SF as the potential to be focal point of a new Ireland. And should be more progressive etc etc. The past and history that are unpalatable can now be forgotten.

At least that is my take on her line she would like SF to be pro choice - north and south. And likes the fact that female leadership in SF appears to be at the forefront of the party.

Mary Lou leader of the opposition in the Dail - first female to do so. Which Moore was chuffed about and lead to a Harris 'retort' on twitter.

Moore seems to view SF as the potential to be at the vanguard of a creation of a new Ireland etc. And is disappointed in them when they do not meet up to those expectations. Given her family background, age, and where she was brought up etc.

However she has been critical of SF having a dual approach on the pro-choice issue both north and south of the border. Glossing over the less 'murky' issues.

That at least is my take on the woman's general viewpoints. You can correct me if I am wrong, if I have somehow misinterpreted them

Well Aoife now has legal proceedings underway against Mr Harrris so il say no more on this matter only fair play to Aoife for being strong and standing up to this bully.

Interesting or accurate?

I thought it was an interesting way it was put. It gave a clear indication of the line any prosecution of Harris on behalf of the journalist in question was going to take,

Personally I think Harris is a lot more indiscriminate in his attacks, he does so not on the basis of gender. First and foremost for Harris is if an individual is as what he terms a terrorist = even supporter/sympathiser of SF. That is the nub of his myopic view. The 'gender card' seems likes a handy add on which will play well with the millenials.

I thought it was an interesting way it was put. It gave a clear indication of the line any prosecution of Harris on behalf of the journalist in question was going to take,

Personally I think Harris is a lot more indiscriminate in his attacks, he does so not on the basis of gender. First and foremost for Harris is if an individual is as what he terms a terrorist = even supporter/sympathiser of SF. That is the nub of his myopic view. The 'gender card' seems likes a handy add on which will play well with the millenials.

so just a coincidence then that they are all women?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Odhinn

One thing Sinn Fein always accuses Denis O'Brien of is taking full advantage of defamation laws and the silencing effect it can have on media, journalists, and others.

Sinn Fein, the NUJ, various individual journalists (eg vincent browne)......

Well Aoife now has legal proceedings underway against Mr Harrris so il say no more on this matter only fair play to Aoife for being strong and standing up to this bully.

She is fair dues to her. But I don't like all the playing to the gallery stuff on twitter etc. That might just be a generational problem on my part. Maybe it is the norm/accepted thing to do.

And no doubt there will be hashtag - 'we stand with Aoife' or similar created and so on?

• Advertisement

so just a coincidence then that they are all women?

Another poster about has joust mentioned how Harris destroyed John Hume.

So I would argue yes. Also Paul Larkin also brought a case against Harris.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/commentanalysis/arid-40245716.html

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/commentanalysis/arid-31009082.html

You seem to have worked yourself into a right lather that a WOMAN journalist would see the first WOMAN in the history of the state to become "leader of the opposition" a groundbreaking positive.

Another poster about has joust mentioned how Harris destroyed John Hume.

So I would argue yes. Also Paul Larkin also brought a case against Harris.

this thread is about him creating sock puppets to harass people on social media anonymously. I don't remember him doing that in the other cases you mentioned.

this thread is about him creating sock puppets to harass people on social media anonymously. I don't remember him doing that in the other cases you mentioned.

See below

https://krw-law.ie/statement-paul-larkin/

Gender is no barrier for the Pym/Harris account attacks clearly.

But that does not seem to be the narrative some people have moved on to now, and are running with it.

tipptom wrote: »

You seem to have worked yourself into a right lather that a WOMAN journalist would see the first WOMAN in the history of the state to become "leader of the opposition" a groundbreaking positive.

No at all I merely pointing out Moores viewpoints as I see them.

Such as

Where she was clearly delighted at SF success in the 2020 GE and played down the less palatable aspects of history.

Or have read the tone wrong?

You tell me.

And have correlated that to a new narrative that seems to be developing.

'Harris the mysonginst one who only picks on women.'

But he picks on everyone he sees as a 'legitimate target' in his own warped mind.

See below

https://krw-law.ie/statement-paul-larkin/

Gender is no barrier for the Pym/Harris account attacks clearly.

But that does not seem to be the narrative some people have moved on to now, and are running with it.

fair point, well made. Harris is an equal opportunities arsehole then.

fair point, well made. Harris is an equal opportunities arsehole then.

You put it far better than I did though! And more concisely.

There is blow by blow account on wikipedia at this stage, for those who want to recap how the events occurred and what was said etc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eoghan_Harris_Twitter_scandal

I assume it will be updated as the story gains legs and develops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Can't we just have an Aoife Moore thread for gdg so he can bore off out of this one please?

I'm glad we've all accepted that the sexualised misogynistic charge was nonsense, and that the politically robust and sometimes tough messages Harris sent were gender-blind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

tipptom wrote: »

It's ridiculous interpretations like this that give me confidence that much of the jubilant reaction to Harris's downfall is from zealots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

No at all I merely pointing out Moores viewpoints as I see them.

Such as

Where she was clearly delighted at SF success in the 2020 GE and played down the less palatable aspects of history.

Or have read the tone wrong?

You tell me.

And have correlated that to a new narrative that seems to be developing.

'Harris the mysonginst one who only picks on women.'

But he picks on everyone he sees as a 'legitimate target' in his own warped mind.

You see FF/FG journalist cheerleaders every other election since the state was founded clearly delighted at their success and no mention of their less than palatable aspects of their history.

Sinn Fein has even recently called for reform of our defamation laws. It is interesting though to see they are chief users of these same laws - one TD paid out 150k last month.
    He was literally just abusing journalists on social media under multiple different accounts... He was not exposing anything or doing some greater public good...

I'm glad we've all accepted that the sexualised misogynistic charge was nonsense, and that the politically robust and sometimes tough messages Harris sent were gender-blind.

so why did he not send them under his own name if that is all they were?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Whos "we" paleface?

Don't tell me that you have multiple personalities :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

There is blow by blow account on wikipedia at this stage, for those who want to recap how the events occurred and what was said etc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eoghan_Harris_Twitter_scandal

I assume it will be updated as the story gains legs and develops.

Quite obviously started by someone with an agendy. If the Bobby Storey funeral controversy doesn't have one, in no way could this controversy be said to deserve a wikipedia page.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

It's ridiculous interpretations like this that give me confidence that much of the jubilant reaction to Harris's downfall is from zealots.
    The Zealots were a first century AD Jewish political movement who wanted to remove the Roman Empire from Israel. Are you saying that Harris would have been on the side of the Roman Empire as well? :)

Regards...jmcc

Quite obviously started by someone with an agendy. If the Bobby Storey funeral controversy doesn't have one, in no way could this controversy be said to deserve a wikipedia page.

Ive heard it all now, your saying if what Eoghan Harris did has a wikipedia page, the Boby Storey funeral should have one.

Bottom of the barrell

Ive heard it all now, your saying if what Eoghan Harris did has a wikipedia page, the Boby Storey funeral should have one.

Bottom of the barrell

The Sinn Fein bot farms in Serbia don't have any political interest in creating a Bobby Storey funeral wikipedia page.

• Advertisement

'politically robust'

I am not sure even you yourself, believe that one. That is up there with some of creative ways a SF TD or supporter uses the English language at times!

'Politically robust' :D - be honest he was on the wind up with about 6 others using that account.

To the extent that many of those targeted by Harris have sought legal action.
    They would not be bothered with legal action if they did not think they stand a chance of some form of redress.

Also id you listened to Harris's interview with McInerney, what started out as an apparent 'political robust' defence quickly descending into a conspiratorial rant that SF and RTE were in cahoots and had it in for him.

Which was laughable altogether given McInerney's background alone never mind the recent history of RTE v SF.

Advertisement