Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eoghan Harris terminated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Jaysci20 wrote: »
    The process of transformation has started there. Watch as the decks there are cleared, one by one, following any convenient misdemeanor
    All this from the Sindo having an Op-Ed from Mary Lou McDonald and no Eoghan Harrass column? Is this an SF takeover of the Sindo? Has the last bastion of the fight against SF fallen? :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Jaysci20

It's quite extraordinary how the media will cosy up to certain interests or certain causes. We saw it with Bertie in the lead up to the 2007 election - a sudden softening of stance on his outings at the Mahon Tribunal

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/commentanalysis/arid-20241847.html

"According to Harris, Ahern met the newspaper’s then editor, the late Aengus Fanning, at a function in the Shelbourne Hotel in April of that year. At the time, the Mahon Tribunal was investigating Ahern’s finances. A file on Ahern’s finances, originating in the tribunal, but dispersed to various parties, had come into the possession of the newspaper. It was reputedly explosive stuff, although lawyers cautioned against publication.

Harris told TV3 that at the Shelbourne, Fanning put it to Ahern that the paper had a “massive file” on him. Fanning then asked Ahern for some stories, particularly the date of the forthcoming general election.

“He said he would think about it and he went away and the weeks passed,” Harris said.

Then, one Saturday, Ahern phoned the paper, saying he was calling the election and “I won’t be going to the [Phoenix] Park until after you’re off the press with the first edition”. He gave the story to the paper, at a time when even some of his cabinet colleagues didn’t know he was going to call the election.

“That’s what journalism is about,” Harris said. “You work your way around to get people to tell you things. And thereafter he [Ahern] gave many stories exclusively to the Sunday Independent.”

I don't. Most people don't. It's got a tiny and shrinking readership. I just don't think a magazine taking potshots at people they don't like (some of it extremely nasty and personalised), and then not even putting in the name of who wrote the piece is cowardly enough. It's the same type of thing that Harris was up to.

Why is it even in this thread. You brought it up. You are keeping it up. From a quick google of Paddy Prendeville he is no hero, but it's all deflection.

Now I'm no computer guru like some people on this site, but I did read recently that OpenAI GPT-3 can predict with over 99% certainty who wrote an article based on being provided with a dataset of previous articles and who wrote them.

Good tip! I have a few posters on here that that might be worth trying on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭amandstu

jmcc wrote: »
    The editor of the Sindo, Alan English, laid out the reasons for firing Harris. It would be best to read that article.

Regard...jmcc

Ah yes.

An interesting case.I wonder what will be the outcome.

The process of transformation has started there. Watch as the decks there are cleared, one by one, following any convenient misdemeanor

You seem intent on ignoring what he actually did...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

the paper wishes to start cosying up to the nationalist agenda.

What's the 'nationalist agenda'?

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭mrjoneill

Wonder will we find out how he was found out.
    There was one pesky West Cork guy on twitter a John O’Neill who claimed he had gathered all the evidence that there was gaggle of twitter accounts @barbarapym2 @bridgetfmcinty1 @dave00_d and @CorkUnionist associated with Harris. He was like a dog with a bone in how he pursued this with twitter, INM and its so called journalist, other media outlets and informing the defamed both on twitter and privately. Apparently O’Neill claimed he knows the extended Harris family. INM were aware of this information since Jan 2021. O’Neill persistently called on INM to stop Harris using its rag the Sunday Indo as a platform for his invective to launch and extend the attacks on twitter. He also called on twitter to stop Harris manipulation of the “media”. Twitter it seems has suspended the O’Neill account because he pursued the task with such vigour. INM are not honest with how they responded. They should have suspended Harris when notified of what he was doing and this was apparent from the start when O’Neill notified them. INM have been forced into this to save face after the beginning of litigation and the all too numerous complaints.

The editor of the Sindo, Alan English, laid out the reasons for firing Harris. It would be best to read that article.

Regard...jmcc
    He is not telling the full truth

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

mrjoneill wrote: »
    Twitter it seems has suspended the O’Neill account because he pursued the task with such vigour...

Groan. Everything's a conspiracy, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

See below

https://krw-law.ie/statement-paul-larkin/

Gender is no barrier for the Pym/Harris account attacks clearly.

But that does not seem to be the narrative some people have moved on to now, and are running with it.

Ah come on now he was mysogynist and sexist in a lot of his tweeting - thats as clear as day.

We can see he has form for it

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/herald/lifestyle/the-energy-that-she-exudes-is-always-sexual-29275407.html

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Groan. Everything's a conspiracy, isn't it?
    It seems to be if you are pro Eoghan Harris.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'm glad we've all accepted that the sexualised misogynistic charge was nonsense, and that the politically robust and sometimes tough messages Harris sent were gender-blind.

Nope. We havent

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I'm glad we've all accepted that the sexualised misogynistic charge was nonsense, and that the politically robust and sometimes tough messages Harris sent were gender-blind.
    Who exactly is we? I have not accepted that the sexualised misogynistic charge was nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Who exactly is we? I have not accepted that the sexualised misogynistic charge was nonsense.

Think they've missed one of Harris' accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭bmc58

All this from the Sindo having an Op-Ed from Mary Lou McDonald and no Eoghan Harrass column? Is this an SF takeover of the Sindo? Has the last bastion of the fight against SF fallen? :)

Regards...jmcc

Times are changing.People are seeing the light.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Jaysci20

bmc58 wrote: »
    Times are changing.People are seeing the light.

Those who defend the murder of gardai in this State, criminality and 'good republicans' are not 'the light'.

storker wrote: »
    Similarly, I always felt that he basically had one story: "I hate SF". Not that there's anything wrong with expressing that sentiment, but when it becomes the only story a journalist has, and inevitably gets dragged into his musings on even unrelated subjects, you start seeing that the column is less a piece of analysis than a psychological outlet.
    It gave him a reason for life to be noticed when all others had failed. Harris cares about no one but himself and promoting unionism and anti-SF became his only purpose in life to be so noticed. What really amazed me or should anyone be amazed with anything Harris does was his once venom aimed at the RC church, even claiming his own daughter became CoI because of it and of recent see him coming to the support of the RC church even supporting the sectarianism of John Charles McQuaid in the whole Mother and Baby homes debacle.
    https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/families-were-first-to-fail-their-daughters-thats-the-truth-39976415.html
    And then I refer to his presentation to the Cork Church off Ireland "Understanding our History" symposium where his every effort was into lambasting the RC church and going on to lambaste the Aubane Historical Society to be the kernel synthesis for their promotion of sectarianism in Cork.
    https://aubanehistoricalsociety.org/bishop_cork.pdf

Conclusion, Harris has a way with words that carries him but ultimately he is stark raving mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭golfball37

Something doesn’t add up with Alan English account of events. He said he was aware or suspected Harris ran a troll account months ago yet Harris is saying when asked by English he admitted this straight away last week.
    English knew but never confronted him is my take. Why?

golfball37 wrote: »
    Something doesn’t add up with Alan English account of events. He said he was aware or suspected Harris ran a troll account months ago yet Harris is saying when asked by English he admitted this straight away last week.

As I posted INM was left in no doubt by John O'Neill that Harris was behind a gaggle of pseudonym twitter accounts in mid Jan when he ran a sustained campaign on twitter and I recall first seeing it in Dec 2020 a post to that effect on twitter. Why did not the INM suspend Harris back then if it was with real intention to deal with his manipulation of the news? These post from O'Neill went on day after day checking the @barbarapym2 @bridgetfmcinty1 @dave00_d and @CorkUnionist twitter post.

I have saved screenshots of them but boards don't allow posting of them

https://geekpic.net/pm-LO99DF.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

He is not telling the full truth
    They are just the reasons that English laid out for terminating Harris as a columnist. The threat of litigation may have brought matters to a head. IN&M had its reasons for firing him and went with them. These high profile firings are often quite messy events for all concerned.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

They are just the reasons that English laid out for terminating Harris as a columnist. The threat of litigation may have brought matters to a head. IN&M had its reasons for firing him and went with them. These high profile firings are often quite messy events for all concerned.

Regards...jmcc

No doubt about it litigation tightened the screw on English who should have been aware since Jan 2021 at least what Harris was at but yet was allowing him to use the Sunday Indo as a platform to go onto twitter to defame and abuse.

Kevin Doyle of INM knew since 14th Jan 2021

https://geekpic.net/pm-5F4V7U.html

No doubt about it litigation tightened the screw on English who should have been aware since Jan 2021 at least what Harris was at but yet was allowing him to use the Sunday Indo as a platform to go onto twitter to defame and abuse.

Kevin Doyle of INM knew since 14th Jan 2021

https://geekpic.net/pm-5F4V7U.html
    How was he using the Sindo as a platform?

Weren't the two activities separate?

Maybe he saw fake /anonymous accounts as a grey (and extracurricular) area and outside his business as the man's editor.

When the content of the accounts became apparent he had to choose between the well being of the paper and the well being of Harris?

amandstu wrote: »
    How was he using the Sindo as a platform?

Weren't the two activities separate?

No INM was the launch pad for his invective followed up by putting the boot in with the twitter accounts which inter-meshed and gave more publicity to the story. Calling journalist and academics liars and other defamatory comments obv would not be allowed by INM lawyers but he felt with twitter he had the means to get away with it. INM need to come clean why he was not stopped earlier. They had known this for at least 4mts from what I see.

Typical of this

https://twitter.com/JoeEDwyer/status/1390409237667454979

No INM was the launch pad for his invective
    followed up
    by putting the boot in with the twitter accounts which inter-meshed and gave more publicity to the story. Calling journalist and academics liars and other defamatory comments obv would not be allowed by INM lawyers but he felt with twitter he had the means to get away with it. INM need to come clean why he was not stopped earlier. They had know this for at least 4mts from what I see.

Typical of this

https://twitter.com/JoeEDwyer/status/1390409237667454979

One may have followed the other but I don't see that one caused the other.

Sindo was his job. He could (as far as I can tell) have created anonymous accounts if he had been ,say a politician or just an interested member of the public..

The two activities are connected because he was involved in both ,but I don't understand how the Sindo job was a launch pad ("platform") for his twitter accounts.

Are you saying he would have been unable ,or unsuccessful in his twitter activities had it not been for the post he held at Sindo?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭volchitsa

amandstu wrote: »
    One may have followed the other but I don't see that one caused the other.

Sindo was his job. He could (as far as I can tell) have created anonymous accounts if he had been ,say a politician or just an interested member of the public..

The two activities are connected because he was involved in both ,but I don't understand how the Sindo job was a launch pad ("platform") for his twitter accounts.

Are you saying he would have been unable ,or unsuccessful in his twitter activities had it not been for the post he held at Sindo?

Those screengrabs show him using his twitter accounts to "big up" his readership at the Sindo and his other work done under his real name, like the talk at Kilkenny. That alone is totally unethical.

He didn’t have the full evidence. That or it’s a SF plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

As I posted INM was left in no doubt by John O'Neill that Harris was behind a gaggle of pseudonym twitter accounts in mid Jan when he ran a sustained campaign on twitter and I recall first seeing it in Dec 2020 a post to that effect on twitter. Why did not the INM suspend Harris back then if it was with real intention to deal with his manipulation of the news? These post from O'Neill went on day after day checking the @barbarapym2 @bridgetfmcinty1 @dave00_d and @CorkUnionist twitter post.

I have saved screenshots of them but boards don't allow posting of them

https://geekpic.net/pm-LO99DF.html

You must be deluded. A randomer’s accusation on Twitter doesn’t constitute evidence. If it does, Aoife Moore is a Sinn Fein sympathiser, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

You must be deluded. A randomer’s accusation on Twitter doesn’t constitute evidence. If it does, Aoife Moore is a Sinn Fein sympathiser, etc.

you are absolutely right, a randomer's accusations don't constitute evidence. Information from twitter themselves as to the real operators of those accounts does constitute evidence. Luckily the people involved are smart enough to realise that and are seeking court order to compel twitter to release that information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,830 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Those who defend the murder of gardai in this State, criminality and 'good republicans' are not 'the light'.

While Eoghans colleagues in the Worker's Party buried several Guards. I doubt if Eoghan had any involvement or knowledge.

He was too busy fighting and being horrible to party colleagues, till he left.

His marriage broke up, his wife found happiness with a man, who could provide a loving, environment for her and the kids.

He jumped from party to party, falling out with each in turn.

The only thing he he has defended his entire life is his right to be a nasty ego maniac with a need to fight all around him.

Advertisement