Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eoghan Harris terminated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Larbre34 wrote: »
    SF *are* unpalatable to the delicate tastes of the southern incumbent polity, but the likes of Eoghan Harris does no favours for those of us who are trying to go after SF over their policies, their practices, their party's internal system and their people, visible and invisible.
    So just to be clear (no pun intended), is it Eoghan Harris or you who believes that Sinn Fein has invisible men and invisible women working for it? :) Are they part of SF's social media army which, according to Harris, is "thousand strong"?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭mrjoneill

Danzy wrote: »
    That Harris damaged the Shinners is debatable. He was so unhinged that he made it background noise and people didn't listen to criticism that was valid.

Wasn't he SF workers party, maybe he was working for the Shinners all along.

Now that he has outed himself as an online stalker weirdo his opinions carry no weight publically, no more than his buddy Pearse McAulays
    Harris had absol no effect on SF as the polls show, Harris as far as the general public is concerned is unhinged egotistic prat. What my objections are is this unhinged prat was given a platform in Ireland's largest selling newspaper to launch attacks on so many that are genuine respected academics and journalist. Harris is a liability always was. Harris is about himself believing he is the best intellect ever seeking a mission to demonstrate it.
    All these Harris supporting asses are doing is compounding the foolishness.

jmcc wrote: »
    So just to be clear (no pun intended), is it Eoghan Harris or you who believes that Sinn Fein has invisible men and invisible women working for it? :) Are they part of SF's social media army which, according to Harris, is "thousand strong"?

Regards...jmcc
    McCarthyism????????

mrjoneill wrote: »
    McCarthyism????????
    It is a bit odd. If Harris was on TV one would almost expect him to produce a list of SFers in the media and government. :)

Regards...jmcc

SF *are* unpalatable to the delicate tastes of the southern incumbent polity, but the likes of Eoghan Harris does no favours for those of us who are trying to go after SF over their policies, their practices, their party's internal system and their people, visible and invisible.

I can't help who northern nationalists want to vote for. I'd just as soon it was the SDLP and Alliance, but power sharing under D'Hondt is what we have under the GFA and I can't do anything about it right now.

In short though, the sooner Harris exits the stage permanently, one way or the other, the better it is for those of us who want to overturn this SF bounce of recent years and go after them the old fashioned way.
    Don't kid yourself, Harris has no impact or RDE in the people who vote SF in NI. All I ever see these doing is riling up the unionist population. And there are no inhibitions in you going after the shinners as it is. Will you go after shinner voters too? Wishful thinking at its best.

• Advertisement

It is a bit odd. If Harris was on TV one would almost expect him to produce a list of SFers in the media and government. :)

Regards...jmcc
    Like McCarthyism attention seeking

Like McCarthyism attention seeking
    Nothing as sophisticated as McCarthyism. This is pure attention seeking by Harris. Aristotle and Plato are all discussed millenia after their deaths. People are hard pressed to remember what Harris wrote in his last column and most never read it.

Regards...jmcc

Probably needs the money. :) It is behind the paywall. From the segment that is not, it is typical Harris: everything is down to SF. The Irish Times letters page is a bit of a fall for him.

Regards...jmcc
    He compounded his foolishness once again. His ego knows no bounds.

https://geekpic.net/pm-FPRDC4.html

He gives a new meaning Narcissistic

It reads like ravings... He went anonymous on Twitter to attack journalists cause he knew he'd get in trouble if he attached the names to the tweets. Nothing to do with being woke, he behaved unprofessionally and finally lost his job when he leaked polling data. SF had nothing to do with it.

I think SF behaved disgracefully around that story. I happily recognise that a fair few of their supporters are pretty horrible and even some of their elected representatives. However it's irrelevant to the topic.

I am not aware of any SF trolling Marie Cahill. My only regret is she did not go after who she accuses. What I found very strange in the whole saga was the charge was led by Vincent McKenna a convicted pedophile that abused his own flesh and blood and an arsonist that should have been charged with attempted murder. SF and the IRA claim they had never any assoc with him or a member of their organizations. Another Harris type ego.

Harris aimed his bile at the Indo's new owners wife, SF, the PLO, Leeds United or the Medellin cartel had nothing to do with the old mad ba$tards downfall

All very well summed up in one word "hubris".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

I can't help who northern nationalists want to vote for. I'd just as soon it was the SDLP and Alliance, but power sharing under D'Hondt is what we have under the GFA and I can't do anything about it right now.

In short though, the sooner Harris exits the stage permanently, one way or the other, the better it is for those of us who want to overturn this SF bounce of recent years and go after them the old fashioned way.

Next election will be about housing and social issues. SF have the best housing spokesperson and are talking sense on the issue. No amount of demented ranting by Harris will change the fact that people will vote SF because they are desperate for some light at the end of the tunnel on housing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

I am not aware of any SF trolling Marie Cahill. My only regret is she did not go after who she accuses. What I found very strange in the whole saga was the charge was led by Vincent McKenna a convicted pedophile that abused his own flesh and blood and an arsonist that should have been charged with attempted murder. SF and the IRA claim they had never any assoc with him or a member of their organizations. Another Harris type ego.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Families_Against_Intimidation_and_Terror

This was the British government sponsored grope that McKenna was involved with.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The bounce will likely be over if younger disaffected voters gravitate to parties that older people, contented with their lot, tend to vote for. This will happen if FG and FF adopt policies that SF were connecting with said voters in the last election.

Eoghan, if he lives long enough to see it happening, will convince himself it was purely down to him and his anonymous accounts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Families_Against_Intimidation_and_Terror

This was the British government sponsored grope that McKenna was involved with.
    McKenna is another of these Harris type media craving attention seekers.

There is this new phenomena called cyber stalking. You don't have to be a politician or have political affiliation to be targeted. Cancer suffers have even been subjected to such abuse when they declare it on line media. Some people get a twisted kick out of it and I believe the same went on with Marie Cahill. Unfortunately that's the world we live in

https://esource.dbs.ie/handle/10788/1056

The bounce will likely be over if younger disaffected voters gravitate to parties that older people, contented with their lot, tend to vote for. This will happen if FG and FF adopt policies that SF were connecting with said voters in the last election.

Eoghan, if he lives long enough to see it happening, will convince himself it was purely down to him and his anonymous accounts.
    As another poster stated earlier housing is going to be the major issue of the next election. SF will be seen as the only opposition party to the FF-FG failure to provide for it. Back 30yrs ago most people with a bit of effort were able to get on the property ladder. Now even professionals in their mid 30ths cant do. There are grown men and women living at home with their parents in their mid 30ths with no future to their own housing. The constant theme I hear from these people is "affordable" housing.

That letter is hilarious. 11 mentions of Sinn Féin outside of two in quotes from the twittering.

The idea that Sinn Féin are influencing twitter and Alan English to get him cancelled is laughable.
    The even more laughable part of it according to the Sun Indo editor Alan English is Harris thought he was the boss man setting his own editorial standards for it. English came on board when Harris was in free flow in that rag.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Jaysci20

As another poster stated earlier housing is going to be the major issue of the next election. SF will be seen as the only opposition party to the FF-FG failure to provide for it. Back 30yrs ago most people with a bit of effort were able to get on the property ladder. Now even professionals in their mid 30ths cant do. There are grown men and women living at home with their parents in their mid 30ths with no future to their own housing. The constant theme I hear from these people is "affordable" housing.

Housing will be a massive issue for the next election. Sinn Fein and the left will hoover up a huge amount of votes from completely disillusioned people in their thirties and forties unable to buy - they don't have rich parents to put down a significant deposit on a very modest home.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Next election will be about housing and social issues. SF have the best housing spokesperson and are talking sense on the issue. No amount of demented ranting by Harris will change the fact that people will vote SF because they are desperate for some light at the end of the tunnel on housing.

Will it yeah?

Just like the previous 32 general elections then. Or even the 14 since provisional Sinn Féin came into being. Who won them again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Danzy wrote: »
    That Harris damaged the Shinners is debatable. He was so unhinged that he made it background noise and people didn't listen to criticism that was valid.

Wasn't he SF workers party, maybe he was working for the Shinners all along.

Now that he has outed himself as an online stalker weirdo his opinions carry no weight publically, no more than his buddy Pearse McAulays
    Totally different parties to SF today, the Workers party would be closely aligned to Democratic Left who merged with the Labour Party years ago

Will it yeah?

Just like the previous 32 general elections then. Or even the 14 since provisional Sinn Féin came into being. Who won them again?

There is a long history of gov invol in housing. Even under Brit rule the Land Commission in the 1880s was established with a system of government loans to enable tenant farmers to buy their homes from their former landlords. The first Free State gov embarked on a massive housing building. But they waned and it was a housing policy as well as other issues that swept FF into power in 1932. This was a plan for slum clearances that saw new suburbs of Cabra and Crumlin grow up around Dublin. State intervention has always been central to housing policy in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

votecounts wrote: »
    Totally different parties to SF today, the Workers party would be closely aligned to Democratic Left who merged with the Labour Party years ago

No

SF split around 1970 into 2 groups
    Sinn Fein and Official Sinn Fein

Official Sinn Fein became Sinn Fein The Workers Party and then The Workers Party

The workers party split in 1992 into 2 groups
    The workers party and Democratic Left
    Democratic Left merged with Labour

The workers party today wouldnt at all be closely aligned with Democratic Left or Labour

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

There is a long history of gov invol in housing. Even under Brit rule the Land Commission in the 1880s was established with a system of government loans to enable tenant farmers to buy their homes from their former landlords. The first Free State gov embarked on a massive housing building. But they waned and it was a housing policy as well as other issues that swept FF into power in 1932. This was a plan for slum clearances that saw new suburbs of Cabra and Crumlin grow up around Dublin. State intervention has always been central to housing policy in Ireland.

One of the main reasons so many working class voters supported Fianna Fail from the 1930s right up until 1980s or so was because of Fianna Fails housing policies in the 1930s and 1940s

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Annasopra wrote: »
    One of the main reasons so many working class voters supported Fianna Fail from the 1930s right up until 1980s or so was because of Fianna Fails housing policies in the 1930s and 1940s
    It was one of the constant things FF politicians of old told of being constantly approached and thanked for giving them their first home. They got support for life from extended families.

No

SF split around 1970 into 2 groups
    Sinn Fein and Official Sinn Fein

Official Sinn Fein became Sinn Fein The Workers Party and then The Workers Party

The workers party split in 1992 into 2 groups
    The workers party and Democratic Left
    Democratic Left merged with Labour

The workers party today wouldnt at all be closely aligned with Democratic Left or Labour
    The Social Democrats another breakaway of this Labour-Democratic Left alliance were under constant abuse by Harris as being SF puppets. His own brother Joe was once a member. He must have been very disappointed they left him behind and left his brother too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Or even the 14 since provisional Sinn Féin came into being. Who won them again?

It doesn't take a crack analyst to look at the results over the past few decades and see which way the wind is blowing.

After the 1997 election Sinn Fein had a single seat in the Dáil. Their growth since then has been plain to see:

1997: 1
    2002: 5
    2007: 4
    2011: 14
    2016: 14
    2020: 37

Sinn Fein winning an election is inevitable - especially when the political discourse in recent times has shifted back to their strongest topic - housing.

I have no doubt that come the next election FF & FG will show that they have learned absolutely nothing and try and take SF down based on IRA atrocities. Meanwhile a generation of disgruntled voters locked out of the housing market will vote with their eye on the future, not the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

FF built a huge number of council houses in rural Ireland in the 70s and 80s, built on sites owned by the tenant, it eased in the 90s and seems to have stopped completely now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I have no doubt that come the next election FF & FG will show that they have learned absolutely nothing and try and take SF down based on IRA atrocities. Meanwhile a generation of disgruntled voters locked out of the housing market will vote with their eye on the future, not the past.

You could bet good money on it, they surely must be running out of victims they can wheel out, and then drop like a snot when the election is over though.

Aided and abetted by a certain cohort of the media no doubt.

While the young people are worrying about their horning needs and for their future, FFG will be harping on about the northern trouble's of the past - which might as well be WW2 to many of those young professionals trying to secure homes for themselves.

When it's all over and SF see another surge in votes and seats, FFG will like last time be left standing in bewilderment wondering where they went wrong, despite committing the same mistakes as before and before.

Isn't there a well known saying about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

The even more laughable part of it according to the Sun Indo editor Alan English is Harris thought he was the boss man setting his own editorial standards for it. English came on board when Harris was in free flow in that rag.

You are so painfully biased. It’s no wonder you weren’t taken seriously.

FF built a huge number of council houses in rural Ireland in the 70s and 80s, built on sites owned by the tenant, it eased in the 90s and seems to have stopped completely now

FF pretty much stopped state building of houses after the 1990s.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

You are so painfully biased. It’s no wonder you weren’t taken seriously.
    I'm least put out by your views, as I deal with facts. Its you that has the issues of credibility.

Why Eoghan Harris had to go ...Alan English

"One of the claims in recent days is that the Sunday Independent was looking for an excuse to get rid of Eoghan Harris and that his actions provided the paper with a welcome opportunity. That is false. Three days after our heated words on that Sunday afternoon in late January, Harris sent me his resignation in writing because I was not prepared to give him assurances about people being offered a right of reply to his columns."

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/why-eoghan-harris-had-to-go-and-the-other-twitter-accounts-he-denies-running-40404032.html

Advertisement