Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eoghan Harris terminated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

mrjoneill wrote: »
    Anyone that led a campaign with another "word escape me to describe" that COVID was a fake leaves the mind boggled. As this is as we watch in India what unrestricted led to. And these fake twitter accounts was promoting COVID as a fake. Has Waters something to tell us???
    https://geekpic.net/pm-JVKSTT.html

Given that the inter-necine journalistic dispute referred to was seven years' ago, I'm not seeing the relevance.

McGarry behaved like a coward. Waters is a fruitcake. Harris is a right wing nutter but there is a huge element of hypocrisy in the left-liberal section of the media's excoriation of his use of burner accounts on Twitter.

You are mistaken if you think it is impossible to hold all these points of view at the same time without contradiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Anyone that led a campaign with another "word escape me to describe" that COVID was a fake leaves the mind boggled. As this is as we watch in India what unrestricted led to. And these fake twitter accounts was promoting COVID as a fake. Has Waters something to tell us???
    https://geekpic.net/pm-JVKSTT.html

Does India not still have a lower death toll thant the UK? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

Imagine a world where journalists acted on principles, not personal expediency.

In that world, some journalists would write:

“I disagree with everything Eoghan Harris stands for and he is an obnoxious bully, but it is wrong to fire him summarily for having an anonymous Twitter account and the courts will deal with any complaints from those he attacked”

Alternatively, some other journalists would say

“I strongly agree with Eoghan Harris, especially regarding SF and NI, but the use of an anonymous Twitter account is an unforgivable breach of trust and the Sindo had to sack him forthwith”

But somehow all those who oppose Eoghan Harris now think his anonymous Twitter account is a hanging offence while none of his (pathetically few) supporters see anything wrong with it.

We all know that if the boot was on the other foot (stand up, Patsy McGarry!), everyone would switch sides. It’s human nature to defend our own and any other profession would rally around one of their fellow professionals who has just lost his livelihood.

Instead, many journalists pontificating on this issue like to lecture us on public affairs while claiming to be motivated by the evidence and their values. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,330 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

^
    Why would they do that, when Harris himself wouldn't bother to do it? That's holding other people to a standard that the guy at the centre of the discussion wouldn't even come close to.

Harris made his so called "journalism" personal. It's no wonder that others would hold no pity for him when he got caught out being a nasty prick from behind, what he thought was, the safety of an anonymous online account.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭mrjoneill

amandstu wrote: »
    Well (agreed re Covid) he has had this to say over the past week:

"I have long believed that 99 per cent of journalists are on Twitter under multiple fake accounts, but most of them just haven’t been caught yet. Harris got unlucky. "

https://johnwaters.substack.com/p/bonus-content-a-week-from-my-window

(I doubt it affected his (Harris')judgement but we should cut a lot of slack for anyone with an ongoing cancer treatment schedule over the past while ,esp if it was disrupted by the health crisis)
    Sheer rubbish going on that proposition cancer suffers have a right to be obnoxious. I suggest you read again what you wrote. Harris spend his life being obnoxious. He has now finally after 50yrs come to the end of the road with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭amandstu

Sheer rubbish going on that proposition cancer suffers have a right to be obnoxious. I suggest you read again what you wrote. Harris spend his life being obnoxious. He has now finally after 50yrs come to the end of the road with it.
    I was suggesting that their views regarding Covid might be different from others in different positions and that if they were wrong then allowance might be made for their position.(at least I think that is what I had in mind-not what you suggest ,anyway)

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Given that the inter-necine journalistic dispute referred to was seven years' ago, I'm not seeing the relevance.

McGarry behaved like a coward. Waters is a fruitcake. Harris is a right wing nutter but there is a huge element of hypocrisy in the left-liberal section of the media's excoriation of his use of burner accounts on Twitter.

You are mistaken if you think it is impossible to hold all these points of view at the same time without contradiction.
    I didn't go into the McGarry-Waters row because as you state its a long time ago and was between themselves and in my view insignificant in the national landscape. Difference is Harris and his assoc that is if he had, is totally different. Ireland's largest selling newspaper gave him along with the twitter platform, gave him a platform to attack vilify defame reputable people and the manufacture of fake news. And this was with 9+ twitter accounts intermeshed all singing from the same hymn sheet spreading the bile.
    This very defamatory attack by Harris on Katherine O'Donnell begun in the INM rag the Sindo.

https://geekpic.net/pm-R9FQBB.html

Bambi wrote: »
    Does India not still have a lower death toll thant the UK? :confused:
    Whether they do or don't is not material. UK was slow of the mark with Johnson's and advisors belief that there was no need for restrictions and the COVID virus could be allowed "flow through" unrestricted. We had the folly of the British PM going around COVID infected patients in hospitals shaking their hands. In India its "unprecedented surge, which could be due to an unfortunate confluence of factors, including the emergence of particularly infectious variants, a rise in unrestricted social interactions, and low vaccine coverage"

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01059-y

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

Tony EH wrote: »
    ^
    Why would they do that, when Harris himself wouldn't bother to do it? That's holding other people to a standard that the guy at the centre of the discussion wouldn't even come close to.

Harris made his so called "journalism" personal. It's no wonder that others would hold no pity for him when he got caught out being a nasty prick from behind, what he thought was, the safety of an anonymous online account.

Yes, exactly, I am talking about how people of principle behave even when dealing with someone like Eoghan Harris who is not merely unprincipled, he is a life-long opportunist with extraordinary moral blind spots. But people of principle don’t sink to the level of their opponents.

And especially in journalism, the principle of free speech should be valued but this case clearly shows that in Ireland today that principle is only applied selectively I.e. it is no longer a principle but an instrument of policy.

The result will not be an improvement in public discourse. Harris and his ilk will find other channels and now they can claim martyrdom.

Whether they do or don't is not material. UK was slow of the mark with Johnson's and advisors belief that there was no need for restrictions and the COVID virus could be allowed "flow through" unrestricted. We had the folly of the British PM going around COVID infected patients in hospitals shaking their hands. In India its "unprecedented surge, which could be due to an unfortunate confluence of factors, including the emergence of particularly infectious variants, a rise in unrestricted social interactions, and low vaccine coverage"

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01059-y

It is material when you're going on about avoiding becoming like India, when Indias death per million are less than most European countries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

India would have millions dead from COVID if its numbers were in line with the catastrophe Boris Johnson and the Tories presided over in Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,828 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

India would have millions dead from COVID if its numbers were in line with the catastrophe Boris Johnson and the Tories presided over in Britain.

India didn't bother doing anything up to recently.

It is material when you're going on about avoiding becoming like India, when Indias death per million are less than most European countries
    The only thing material about it is the "laissez faire" attitude of the Brit PM Johnson at the start of the COVID epidemic, Harris's calling for removing restrictions and India poor observance of restrictions.

Caquas wrote: »
    I should have said Harris doesn't have any friend who could actually defend him, as opposed to administer a Kiss of Death e.g. RDE and Kevin Myers.

Did Eilis O'Hanlon defend him? That would be very big of her considering that the current Phoenix (published before he was fired) has a piece about Eoghan Harris trying to enforce his line on N.I. against her. She has retweeted stuff in his defence (e.g. David Quinn, another Kiss of Death) but we all know the Twitter rule: retweeting is not an endorsement. Of course, we have only just learned a new Twitter rule: anonymity by a journalist (and a politician, or an employee of a political party perhaps?) is punishable by death.

Ironically, this should have been a dream week for Eoghan Harris - give us the inside scoop on the DUP leadership campaign and berate SF for their shabby treatment of Martina Anderson MEP (now there's misogyny for ya!). I had almost forgotten Sean Kelly is still an MEP. Remember the heart-stopping drama of the last EP election? No, neither can I. Does he have any link to Harris?
    Only link that I know is the GAA, he claims his uncle played hurling for Cork back in the 60ths

Eilis O'Hanlon
    https://geekpic.net/pm-LCJRMR.html

India has less deaths per million than most European countries.

The UK has less deaths per million than about a half dozen other European countries, even with their disasterous early start.

A change of record might be in order at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Tony EH wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see those who considered him an "intellectual" reinvent themselves as the cases progress. According to the Sunday Times, nine people are taking actions against Harris.

Regards...jmcc

Must have been real tough on the Belfast Newsletter rag, deputy editor Ben Lowry who thought unionism had got its "nirvana". Can't believe he was that naive or is it such integral to unionism.

"For a long while I really did believe it was written by a very intelligent Anglo Irish woman, as it claimed. The account used a photograph of what seemed like a beaming socialite who was part of the horsey set."

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/opinion/columnists/ben-lowry-let-us-hope-that-the-brilliant-eoghan-harris-keeps-on-writing-3229330

India has less deaths per million than most European countries.

The UK has less deaths per million than about a half dozen other European countries, even with their disasterous early start.

A change of record might be in order at this stage.
    The message I was trying to get across is what "unrestrictions" led to

• Registered Users Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Must have been real tough on the Belfast Newsletter rag, deputy editor Ben Lowry who though unionism had got its "nirvana". Can't believe he was that naive or is it such integral to unionism.

"For a long while I really did believe it was written by a very intelligent Anglo Irish woman, as it claimed. The account used a photograph of what seemed like a beaming socialite who was part of the horsey set."

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/opinion/columnists/ben-lowry-let-us-hope-that-the-brilliant-eoghan-harris-keeps-on-writing-3229330

Must be Ben Nice-but-dim. Surely if that avatar really was 'Barabara Pym' her identity would not have remained a secret long in the small world of Anglo-Ireland/Unionism?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

tdf7187 wrote: »

Harris is indeed a nutter but hes not right wing , he is fiercely pro ulster unionist ( and anti SF ) but thats not the same thing

he is a social liberal , pro choice , marriage equality etc

hes a thumping bore and im glad hes gone but important to be factual all of the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Must have been real tough on the Belfast Newsletter rag, deputy editor Ben Lowry who though unionism had got its "nirvana". Can't believe he was that naive or is it such integral to unionism.

To be fair to Lowry he does not go in defending him like some of our so called journalists

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

He thought she was real?

Further proof, unionists live in a deluded state

tipptom wrote: »
    To be fair to Lowry he does not go in defending him like some of our so called journalists
    Harris is getting very little support from anyone outside his circle. Some of them will probably begin to distance themselves from himself and Dolly White (Gwen) over the next few weeks.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

jmcc wrote: »
    Harris is getting very little support from anyone outside his circle. Some of them will probably begin to distance themselves from himself and Dolly White (Gwen) over the next few weeks.

Regards...jmcc

The fragrant Gwedoline is very quiet,must be advice from her family whom i would be sure she will be retaining for upcoming legal battles.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

tipptom wrote: »

Are there many actually defending the sock accounts and misogynistic abuse? The likes of Kevin Myers and David Quinn are saying he has been subjected to a 'lynch mob', which is a separate point...

Are there many actually defending the sock accounts and misogynistic abuse? The likes of Kevin Myers and David Quinn are saying he has been subjected to a 'lynch mob', which is a separate point...
    Twitter is a highly transient medium. Most people probably cannot remember what they tweeted or how they interacted with the Babs and Dolly sockpuppet accounts. The accounts are still suspended.

Harris seems to hate negative feedback and there was, according to some newspaper coverage, a row in the Sindo about a right of reply to some of Harris's articles and it led to Harris tendering his resignation a few months ago. It wasn't accepted. Aristotle and Plato wrote books that are still read thousands of years later. People would be hard pressed to remember the last tweet from the Babs or Dolly accounts.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The whole thing reminds me of the Prince Harry Megan Markle carry-on, self-absorbed people who think their opinion counts and that they have something to say.

Meanwhile in the real world.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Harris is indeed a nutter but hes not right wing , he is fiercely pro ulster unionist ( and anti SF ) but thats not the same thing

he is a social liberal , pro choice , marriage equality etc

hes a thumping bore and im glad hes gone but important to be factual all of the same

I don’t think Harris has a principle in his body as he has flip-flopped on almost everything he once held dear to himself. This is from republican politics, political ideology, religion, social issues. If he lives long enough unionism will join this. I call his call for interning of whole “difficult” families as being fascist.

I look at his championing unionism as being just another vehicle to get him noticed. His wrath with SF is because they showed no interest in him.

Came across this on Boards of 9yrs ago...nothing has changed in that period

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056587749&page=2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,535 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I don’t think Harris has a principle in his body as he has flip-flopped on almost everything he once held dear to himself. This is from republican politics, political ideology, religion, social issues. If he lives long enough unionism will join this. I call his call for interning of whole “difficult” families as being fascist.

I look at his championing unionism as being just another vehicle to get him noticed. His wrath with SF is because they showed no interest in him.

I often wondered what the hardline loyalists thought about that cabal of weirdos in the SIndo. Cruise O’Brien I think stood for election as a Unionist at one point but didn’t get any votes. They must wonder wtf is it with that lot. More likely that they don’t even know who they are.

Advertisement