Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eoghan Harris terminated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,116 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Rosita wrote: »
    then the Taoiseach has to say whether this man is still advising him

No he doesn't. There are people embroiled in controversies all the time, and before the courts too. The Taoiseach is not expected to out and comment on whether they are advisors to him or not.

If they are it'll emerge. If not it's irrelevant.

Never heard to be honest that he was an advisor to the Taoiseach until I read it here.

Do you have a source for the implication?

It is a persistent claim. Surprised anyone who claims an interest in Irish politics hasn't heard it.

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/eoghan-harris-fired-fake-twitter-account

• Registered Users Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Hobbs appeared on a panel with quack, conspiracy theorists Dolores Cahill and Ivor "Fat Emperor" Cummins 2 weeks ago so his judgement of character is.....not good.

This thread is filling with partisans.

This thread is filling with partisans.

A whale only gets harpooned when it comes up to blow.

I had absolutely no time for Harris, and abusing a young journalist is exactly the type of thing he’d be correct in pointing out that anonymous SF accounts take part in. So a hypocrite as well.

Social media isn’t journalism, but we had E O’B admitting to writing anonymously for Phoenix magazine. We also had Grizzly Adams forgetting to switch accounts when he replied to his own post.

They are all at it. It’s why those who take the most glee in this need to be careful. Their own slate would want to be very clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

It's a very sad way for his career to end, although I wasn't a fan of his journalism. It's a pity it was done so publicly, he is nearly 80 and has had bad health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

It's a very sad way for his career to end, although I wasn't a fan of his journalism. It's a pity it was done so publicly, he is nearly 80 and has had bad health.

The poor creatur.

Fuck him, it's entirely of his own making.

If you don't like to reap, don't sow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

And it seems those that were non stop going on about trolling were the trolls. Talk about projection.
    https://twitter.com/FCTwenteBenson/status/1390595587574218754?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 33,644 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

To set up another account to hassle people and bash SF sounds like something a teenage bully would do.

He's old enough to know that this was wrong.

He has to take the punishment. And the embarrassment. That's probably career over.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,969 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Time for a statement from Micheál Martin, is he still an advisor and was he a member of FF.

I agree with you, anytime an advisor or former advisor to a political party leader is found guilty of something, or where there is convincing evidence of wrongdoing, a statement should come from that leader.

A principle that should be applied across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lmkrnr

If he gets summonsed to court and he does not name his accomplices will he Be held to account as the main instigator. Or will "it wasn't me it was someone else" work with the Judge/Jury?.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    To set up another account to hassle people and bash SF sounds like something a teenage bully would do.

He's old enough to know that this was wrong.

He has to take the punishment. And the embarrassment. That's probably career over.

Several accounts it seems.

Lmkrnr wrote: »
    If he gets summonsed to court and he does not name his accomplices will he Be held to account as the main instigator. Or will "it wasn't me it was someone else" work with the Judge/Jury?.

I'd imagine Twitter will be forced to reveal if there were others.

The 'account' was still posting last night, stating that it's 'crusade' against those calling for a Border Poll would continue despite Harris being revealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,644 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Did I also read that he didn't act alone?

Will be interesting if any other journo's are outed.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lmkrnr

I'd imagine Twitter will be forced to reveal if there were others.

The 'account' was still posting last night, stating that it's 'crusade' against those calling for a Border Poll would continue despite Harris being revealed.

It will be interesting to see what Twitter do if they are asked for information. I presume only a garda investigation can acquire that?

Lmkrnr wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see what Twitter do if they are asked for information. I presume only a garda investigation can acquire that?

Don't think so. It was a legal request to facilitate litigation that outed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Faugheen wrote: »
    Of course you try to discredit the vile abuse of a woman at the hands of an angry man with a substantial platform while hiding behind an anonymous troll account.

‘Both of them in it’ - unbelievable take.

Not true unlike you I have the ability to stand back and look at the facts at issue.

Moore's tweet:

"This account sent me sexualised messages about whether Mary Lou McDonald “turned me on”, the size of my arse and called me a terrorist from the month I started at the Examiner. Since then, I’ve had to go to counselling and the guards."

If you actually read the tweets by Harris the first one was in reference to Moore being delighted that McDonald was the defacto first leader of the opposition the first female leader to do so (in the absence of the actual leader of the opposition at the time)

The 'burner' account sarcastically suggest to Moore 'does it turn you on?'

Now the take on this can be layered -

1) It could be taken as sexual reference
    2) It could be taken as political reference in that SF as leader of the opposition in the Dail gets her going etc.

--

Moore claims that Harris said her arse was big. Again this in not entirely true.
    The Harris account used a sarcastic analogy of of Moore 'sniping in the bushes with her arse in the air'

To me the Harris account meant the following with this insulation -

1) She was taking 'shots' - sniping at those who are anti-SF cohort with her journalism

2) Is implicitly a supporter of the type of 'Republicanism' Harris does not like - provos sniping in the bushes analogy etc

--

Moore claims that Harris called her a 'terrorist'.

Harris has called many who support Republicanism, terrorists over the years
    or at the very least implied it. So Moore is hardly unique with this 'tag' from Harris.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/independent-journalists/eoghan-harris/

Moore's educational background is Thornhill College in Derry (2002-2008) so it is only natural that her leanings would be Republican. But for Harris this is a crime. Yet he once was a rabid Republican himself which is the ultimate hypocrisy imo.

--

Just to be clear I am not saying what Harris did was right or good form. It was poor form and at best SU type politics at its worst. And at worst bullying.

--

But for Moore to say she needed counselling in a tweet seems to me to be put in to garner sympathy. She seems like the 'strong independent woman' type. Would a few tweets really drive her to counselling? I have my doubts.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

It is a persistent claim. Surprised anyone who claims an interest in Irish politics hasn't heard it.

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/eoghan-harris-fired-fake-twitter-account

I never questioned that it was a claim. I could claim, even persistently, that Bordeaux is the capital of France. Adducing evidence to back the claim is the thing.

I'm probably a bit out of sync with internet reality but I don't see the point in people swishing around on forums looking for the Taoiseach to comment on something when they don't even know if the claim is true. What a load of hot air that is.

Not true unlike you I have the ability to stand back and look at the facts at issue.

Moore's tweet:

"This account sent me sexualised messages about whether Mary Lou McDonald “turned me on”, the size of my arse and called me a terrorist from the month I started at the Examiner. Since then, I’ve had to go to counselling and the guards."

If you actually read the tweets by Harris the first one was in reference to Moore being delighted that McDonald was the defacto first leader of the opposition the first leader to do so (in the absence of the actual leader of the opposition at the time)

The 'burner' account sarcastically suggest to Moore 'does it turn you on?'

Now the take on this can be layer -

1) It could be taken as sexual reference
    2) It could be taken as political reference in that SF as leader of the opposition in the Dail gets her going etc.

--

Moore claims that Harris said her arse was big. Again this in not entirely true.
    The Harris account used a sarcastic analogy of of Moore 'sniping in the bushes with her arse in the air'

To me the Harris account meant the following with this insulation -

1) She was taking 'shots' - sniping at those who are anti-SF cohort with her journalism

2) Is implicitly a supporter of the type of 'Republicanism' Harris does not like - provos sniping in the bushes analogy etc

--

Moore claims that Harris called her a terrorist.

Harris has called many who support Republicanism, terrorists over the years or at the very least implied it. So Moore is hardly unique with this tag from Harris.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/independent-journalists/eoghan-harris/

Moore's educational background is Thornhill College in Derry (2002-2008) so it is only natural that her leanings would be Republican. But for Harris this is a crime. Yet he once was a rabid Republican himself which is the ultimate hypocrisy.

--

Just to be clear I am not saying what Harris did was right or good form. It was poor form and at best SU type politics at its worst. And at worst bullying.

--

But for Moore to say she needed counselling in a tweet seems to me to be put in to garner sympathy. She seems like the 'strong independent woman' type. Would a few tweets really drive her to counselling? I have my doubts.

Jesus, nearly makes it look like you're part of said twitter account :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

moore said that he sent messages - is she referring to tweets as messages, or does she mean DMs?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I had absolutely no time for Harris, and abusing a young journalist is exactly the type of thing he’d be correct in pointing out that anonymous SF accounts take part in. So a hypocrite as well.

I can't find the piece now but he once wrote about how people anonymously abused people on social media while playing with themselves in their bedrooms, something along those lines.

edit: I found someone who found the piece

https://twitter.com/davidcochrane/status/1390606912597671936

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭archfi

Yup, she would have to provide more evidence for that to be in any way credible but so far she's getting a heap of 'so sorrys' - so initial success. And if it is credible that those three trolling points alone made by that account forced her to get counselling, well that isn't the best pointer to personal stability IMO.

I feel I have to point out on this forum that I think Harris is a complete fcking ar*ehole, but I'm sure I'll be targetted as something-ist or whatnot in spite of that fact.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

Several accounts it seems.

We have seen no different in these parts, a serial holder mooching around Current Affairs lauding FG and condemning SF. The script is memorised and regurgitated ad nauseam.

Harris is a busted flush, and he knows it.

I never questioned that it was a claim. I could claim, even persistently, that Bordeaux is the capital of France. Adducing evidence to back the claim is the thing.

I'm probably a bit out of sync with internet reality but I don't see the point in people swishing around on forums looking for the Taoiseach to comment on something when they don't even know if the claim is true. What a load of hot air that is.

Well you clearly don't want this guy linked to FF based on your posts, so I can see how it isn't important to you.

blanch152 wrote: »
    I agree with you, anytime an advisor or former advisor to a political party leader is found guilty of something, or where there is convincing evidence of wrongdoing, a statement should come from that leader.

A principle that should be applied across the board.

Eoghan Harris was advisor to John Bruton back in the day. Unlike Micheál Martin, I KNOW that to be the case. I look forward to hearing the current FG leader Leo Varadkar's statement on the matter.

Do you really think Fine Gael need to comment on a former advisor?

Be careful what you wish for might be the best sentiment here.

Well you clearly don't want this guy linked to FF based on your posts, so I can see how it isn't important to you.

If you have evidence of a link let's be having it. Happily this is demonstrable fact either way. You are the one making the claim./asking the question - weirdly expecting a statement from the Taoiseach about something you don't even know to be the case.

The Taoiseach might be hopelessly inept but I would imagine he's at least busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,330 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Like his old mate Myers, you wonder how someone who's been in the game that long could do something so stupidly self-destructive. I suppose a certain reckless can come with age...

I don't think Myers and Harris were cut from entirely the same cloth, but Harris in particular had a woefully simple minded political view and when one is besieged with that kind of mentality it ends up consuming them eventually.

If you have evidence of a link let's be having it. Happily this is demonstrable fact either way. You are the one making the claim./asking the question - weirdly expecting a statement from the Taoiseach about something you don't even know to be the case.

The Taoiseach might be hopelessly inept but I would imagine he's at least busy.

We get it. You don't want the question asked.

Anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Only on Boards would the "men" of Ireland twist this into an inquisition against someone who was on the receiving end of a fake twitter account run by Turncoat Harris of all people.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

archfi wrote: »
    Yup, she would have to provide more evidence for that to be in any way credible but so far she's getting a heap of 'so sorrys' - so initial success. And if it is credible that those three trolling points alone made by that account forced her to get counselling, well that isn't the best pointer to personal stability IMO.

I feel I have to point out on this forum that I think Harris is a complete fcking ar*ehole, but I'm sure I'll be targetted as something-ist or whatnot in spite of that fact.

I agree with you and just to be clear I agree with the bolded part as well.
    I never liked Harris a really arrogant insincere individual, at the best of times.

But I still believe Moore is playing the 'game' now. Harris has put himself on the back foot - completely

With the current climate of mental health, bullying, women's issues, victimisation, body shaming - all those buzz words. It means that Moore now has the upper hand completely. And she well knows it.

It will get her sympathy in some quarters, a higher profile journalistically in others. For example many will now look out for Moore's articles.

I am now aware that Moore wrote an article about the Stardust families. Which I would not have been aware of until I looked up this thread and Moore's twitter account.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/commentanalysis/arid-40225211.html

--

Harris due to his age and past antagonising many people over the years with his political flip flopping can be portrayed as the the 'clueless dinosaur' of another era.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Why are people trying to make this about Aoife Grace Moore instead of what it's actually about?

:confused::confused::confused:

Advertisement