Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eoghan Harris terminated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Jesus, nearly makes it look like you're part of said twitter account :pac:

I just try to go on facts not 'hysteria' as many are prone to do on boards.ie.

I have made it clear that I am no fan of Eoghan Harris nor the Independent for that matter a number of times in this thread already.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,636 ✭✭✭golfball37

Only on Boards would the "men" of Ireland twist this into an inquisition against someone who was on the receiving end of a fake twitter account run by Turncoat Harris of all people.

It’s a horrible line to be taking. Has the whiff of what did she expect wearing that skirt type comment.

We get it. You don't want the question asked.

Anything else?

Partisans be partisans. The both of you.

What’s the point anyway. He ran Mary Robinson's campaign. He was advisor to Bruton. There may be something with FF but it’s less substantial.

It shows the lack of political intellectualism we have. Nothing that Harris has come up with is unique. Marxism certainly isn’t and apparently we can’t ever have people who are anti extreme Irish nationalism without them becoming ultra unionists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,211 ✭✭✭archfi

Hurrache wrote: »
    I can't find the piece now but he once wrote about how people anonymously abused people on social media while playing with themselves in their bedrooms, something along those lines.

edit: I found someone who found the piece

https://twitter.com/davidcochrane/status/1390606912597671936
    That is delicious.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Rosita wrote: »
    Eoghan Harris was advisor to John Bruton back in the day. Unlike Micheál Martin, I KNOW that to be the case. I look forward to hearing the current FG leader Leo Varadkar's statement on the matter.

Do you really think Fine Gael need to comment on a former advisor?

Be careful what you wish for might be the best sentiment here.

That is for John Bruton to deal with.

• Advertisement

Why are people trying to make this about Aoife Grace Moore instead of what it's actually about?

:confused::confused::confused:

The two are intertwined.

Moore's tweet on her take of what Eoghan Harris did - which seemed awful.

But appeared slightly hyperbolic when the actual Harris tweets themselves are read in context.

There is a definite game going on here, as far as I see it.
    As I already said a pair of them in it.
    But I think that Harris has shot himself in the foot pun intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

We have seen no different in these parts, a serial holder mooching around Current Affairs lauding FG and condemning SF. The script is memorised and regurgitated ad nauseam.

Harris is a busted flush, and he knows it.

He has completely lost any voice he had. His weekly column is gone. RTE wouldn't touch him with a barge-pole. He probably can't even set up a twitter account in his own name after this saga. If he really did have Micheal Martin's ear then that'll be gone now too.

The world will just have to get by without hearing his opinions. For most people that won't be an issue but for him it'll be a travesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

I just try to go on facts not 'hysteria' as many are prone to do on boards.ie.

I have made it clear that I am no fan of Eoghan Harris nor the Independent for that matter a number of times in this thread already.

I know, sure there would be no weight to the rest of your words if you didnt at least condemn harris.

why are you trying to turn the light onto Aoife G M? don't say you aren't cos it's clear as crystal that's what you're doing:

Your own interpretation of :"does it turn you on?" is enough.

You are trying to twist this away from it's obvious sexual connotations - "It could be taken as political reference in that SF as leader of the opposition in the Dail gets her going etc."

GTFOH with that nonsense.

Pick another account and try again maybe, seems to be the playbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Rosita

blanch152 wrote: »
    That is for John Bruton to deal with.

What do you think he should say?

And Varadkar joined Fine Gael when Bruton was leader. He must comment as well.

The two are intertwined.

But appeared slightly hyperbolic when the actual Harris tweets themselves are read in context.

So you reckon AGM is behind the same twitter account?

• Advertisement

golfball37 wrote: »
    It’s a horrible line to be taking. Has the whiff of what did she expect wearing that skirt type comment.

You can spin it like that as many will be prone to do in this day and age.

But I read Moore's tweet and then Harris's actual tweets which Moore referred to yesterday. It told a slightly different story nothing to do whether she was 'wearing a skirt or not' just the actual words themselves in context.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

He has completely lost any voice he had. His weekly column is gone. RTE wouldn't touch him with a barge-pole. He probably can't even set up a twitter account in his own name after this saga. If he really did have Micheal Martin's ear then that'll be gone now too.

All that's left for him is the Eamon Dunphy route, his own podcast - 'the Barbara Pym Bulletin":P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Rosita

With the current climate of mental health, bullying, women's issues, victimisation, body shaming - all those buzz words.

Surely in a civilised society at least some of these should have more status than "buzz words"?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,754 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

fvp4 wrote: »
    Partisans be partisans. The both of you.

What’s the point anyway. He ran Mary Robinson's campaign. He was advisor to Bruton. There may be something with FF but it’s less substantial.

It shows the lack of political intellectualism we have. Nothing that Harris has come up with is unique. Marxism certainly isn’t and apparently we can’t ever have people who are anti extreme Irish nationalism without them becoming ultra unionists.

Fairly partisan yourself there.

I think it is important that there is transparency here. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,211 ✭✭✭archfi

golfball37 wrote: »
    Really?
    I'm interested in the whole scenario - Harris and whoever else making use of social media to troll and opine anonymously while also having access to national tv, radio and media for his opinion over decades and I'm also interested in the immediacy of personal accusations and triggers like 'mental health', 'required counselling' etc used as proof of something usually with no context instead of hard evidence.

Aoife's contribution could be powerful if it becomes more substantial rather than the initial tweeted vagueness.

Meanwhile, the 'wrong skirt' stuff in relation to that doesn't quite fit if you take a short while to think about it.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

All that's left for him is the Eamon Dunphy route, his own podcast - 'the Barbara Pym Bulletin":P

'Barbara J. Pym' to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The two are intertwined.

I think you're putting the cart before the horse. Whatever about the accuracy of her claims they were made after news of his sacking broke.

It seems that he lost his job based on tweets slandering someone else, who had written an article in the Times. They seem to have taken legal action against twitter to uncover his identity.

So you reckon AGM is behind the same twitter account?

No I believe that Moore is playing up this incident a bit (when you read the actual tweets)

But in the context of today's buzzwords - 'mental health, online sexual harassment cyber bullying, body shaming' etc she is on the winner. And more power to her she might as well make hay while the sun shines. It should further her journalistic profile and her career if she plays it correctly.

I feel no sympathy for Harris and I feel it is well deserved and it high time he got his comeuppance. He went too far for today's world and got caught out. His own hubris hung him in the end.

8 anonymous accounts?

Jeepers. He'll be co-opted into FG if he doesn't watch out. :)

https://www.thejournal.ie/eight-accounts-linked-to-barbara-j-pym-sunday-independent-5431051-May2021/?utm_source=twitter_short

• Registered Users Posts: 19,225 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Emma DeSouza complaining that she was attacked by the account too.
    Also see people asking who was behind other accounts that operated in a similar way. This one could run and run if journalists haven't covered their tracks well. Journalism in the spotlight. No harm in my opinion.

Seems Eoghan was outed by a request from a legal firm (who were suing) to Twitter for the real name of the account holder.

I think this kind of insidious non de plume propaganda that Harris and others engaged in needs to be seriously tackled. A journalist or journalists should put their name(s) to the articles they pimp and no be allowed to hide behind silly handles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I think it's highly unlikely that Harris is/was posting on these boards. His disdain for message boards is well known. It seems like the twitter thing was just a bit of a laugh for him and few of his journalist friends. Newsroom banter.

Anyway, I doubt he minds very much. Being 78 he's made his mark and will be able to retire having made his mark on the body of journalism in this state.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,225 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

His disdain for message boards is well known.

As too is his vast hypocrisy, he'd do anything out of self interest.

Fairly partisan yourself there.

I think it is important that there is transparency here. That is all.

I don't support any party Francie. I vote for nearly all of them across the preferences. Crazy leftists and national party aside.

There is no real large permanent vote for any party anymore, perhaps SF excepted. The always vote FG and FF voters are rare. If another credible party turned up that could capture the centrist vote it would take the votes.

I think it's highly unlikely that Harris is/was posting on these boards. His disdain for message boards is well known. It seems like the twitter thing was just a bit of a laugh for him and few of his journalist friends. Newsroom banter.

Anyway, I doubt he minds very much. Being 78 he's made his mark and will be able to retire having made his mark on the body of journalism in this state.

His 'disdain' for trolls was well known too, but whaddya know! :)

It seems like the twitter thing was just a bit of a laugh for him and few of his journalist friends. Newsroom banter.

That's up there among the most feeble justifications for nefarious behaviour I've ever read. Considering the source, not surprised in the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

There is a fantastic irony in Pintman Paddy Losty playing down someone trolling.

They could use this bit of housekeeping to get rid of Kerrigan off the back page as well. Finally get rid of the last Stickie from its paper.

No I believe that Moore is playing up this incident a bit (when you read the actual tweets)

But in the context of today's buzzwords - 'mental health, online sexual harassment cyber bullying, body shaming' etc she is on the winner. And more power to her she might as well make hay while the sun shines. It should further her journalistic profile and her career if she plays it correctly.

I feel no sympathy for Harris and I feel it is well deserved and it high time he got his comeuppance. He went too far for today's world and got caught out. His own hubris hung him in the end.

As if they have anything to do with the story as a whole, yet you can't go a single post without mentioning her.

She must be an awful threat to the masculinity of the likes of yourself and the pintman et al.

If only she would pipe down and get back in the kitchen eh, these wimmin, making trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

552533.jpg

Any of ye remember the time Gerry forgot to switch accounts when replying to himself??

Glass houses and all that.

• Advertisement

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=552533&d=1620394409

Any of ye remember the time Gerry forgot to switch accounts when replying to himself??

Glass houses and all that.

wharrabout sinn fein?

You've lost hard here Paddy,

I can't stand the shinners myself and will never vote for them - but it always has to be a "sides" thing with shills/trolls like yourself.

Pathetic stuff, as expected.

Advertisement