Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Welfare Pork/Free Range Pork

Options
  • 07-05-2021 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭

I have been eating a bit of pork lately (more than i normally do) and it got me thinking of the conditions they are normally farmed...

Lamb and Beef seem to be farmed differently, and would seem to me that they have a better life...

So I was wondering if free range of higher Welfare Pork something here in Ireland...I have seen some small markets have free range pork, but never seen it in my butchers or supermarkets...

Is it a thing, is it popular?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It's definitely a thing, and getting more popular.

I have seen sausages in lidl recently that are outdoor reared, or some label like that.

First time I've seen that in a supermarket, but I'm wary of what the labelling actually means.

Ive had free range sausage from Caherberg, they have other pork options too. All depends on where you live.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    It's definitely a thing, and getting more popular.

I have seen sausages in lidl recently that are outdoor reared, or some label like that.

First time I've seen that in a supermarket, but I'm wary of what the labelling actually means.

Ive had free range sausage from Caherberg, they have other pork options too. All depends on where you live.

I'm in and around Limerick myself, I'd like to see if I could get some bacon, and chops...to start with anyways

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    I'm in and around Limerick myself, I'd like to see if I could get some bacon, and chops...to start with anyways

Have you tried these?

https://www.rigneysfarm.com/ireland/our-food-produce

There are online vendors too. Might be pricey, haven't looked.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I recommend Andarl Farm.

They supply their velvet pork to a lot of higher end restaurants and gastropubs, and I've made online orders from them that turned out very well, for pork belly and whole shoulder of pork. They usually seem to ship on a Thursday, no matter what day you order. It's useful to ring them.

https://www.andarlfarm.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They don't do mail order but if you're in the vicinity of Bray, the Kilruddery farm shop sells free range pork products from their own farm. They're an old traditional breed of pig, the middle white. Very recommended. You can even see the mother pigs and piglets in the fields either side of the entrance road as you drive in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I recommend Andarl Farm.

They supply their velvet pork to a lot of higher end restaurants and gastropubs, and I've made online orders from them that turned out very well, for pork belly and whole shoulder of pork. They usually seem to ship on a Thursday, no matter what day you order. It's useful to ring them.

https://www.andarlfarm.ie/

I came across this place before is all the pork free range/outdoor?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    I came across this place before is all the pork free range/outdoor?

Yes, it's claimed to be free range, and I don't see a reason to doubt it.

Andarl describe themselves as producing free range pork in notes for the Blas na hEireann awards, Euro Toques etc.

Most of their retailers repeat the claim.

There's also- https://www.andarlfarm.ie/pages/ethical-farming

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Not sure where you're based but all the pork in The Brown Pig butchers in Terenure Village is free-range.

I've pretty much stopped eating pork altogether but the odd time I do get a hankering for some, I buy it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

I get pork sometimes from The Whole Hoggs in a market here in Dublin. They are online too. The pork is excellent but I saw them on TV one day and the pigs looked happy out running around the forest. It's some different breed too, they are black. Highly recommend the Whole Hoggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Not sure where you're based but all the pork in The Brown Pig butchers in Terenure Village is free-range.

Was about to recommend the same, pork is my favourite so I’m there pretty much every week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Salters free range pork from Carlow... their Italian sausages are fantastic.
    You can order a selection pack of sausages online for €21.

They are stocked in some Supervalus, Dublin butchers and Donnybrook Fairs.

Stockists and online store via the below link:
    http://saltersfarm.ie/

They have some rare breed pigs and also do free range Christmas goose.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

McCarthys in cork do free range pork and mail order

Advertisement