Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BoI Android app showing white screen after last update

Options
  • 07-05-2021 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not alone in this, based on comments left by several users in the Play Store......

After the most recent update (late on Thu. May 6th), the Android app briefly shows the BoI logo and then I see a completely blank (white) screen. And then... well that's it really.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Exact same for me this morning on my Android phone, app was updated 9 hours ago

I see on twitter the rep telling everyone to ensure they have the most up to date version of the app, eh that's the problem it's the latest version causing this issue

So I've re-installed the app and now it won't send the SMS for the activation code! 

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭minibear

Same here, a lovely white screen ðŸ˜

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Same here - Worst part is you cant even access your account through a browser because you have to swipe this stupid app to allow you access.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭minibear

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Same here - Worst part is you cant even access your account through a browser because you have to swipe this stupid app to allow you access.
    I just tried that but it showed up on my phone screen and I was able to swipe really quickly before it disappeared. so i got in to my account that way. Ridiculous carry on and unacceptable to be trying to sneak into your own bank account. 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi all,

Thanks for your posts and sorry to hear you're having difficulty accessing the Mobile App. Another update was published on the Google Playstore yesterday evening. Can you please check you are using Android App V2.6.2? If you have this version installed and are still having difficulty, please let us know. 

Thanks
    Tara

Hi all,

Thanks for your posts and sorry to hear you're having difficulty accessing the Mobile App. Another update was published on the Google Playstore yesterday evening. Can you please check you are using Android App V2.6.2? If you have this version installed and are still having difficulty, please let us know. 

Thanks
    Tara
    Hi Tara, as advised in my earlier post I have repeatedly re-downloaded version 2.6.2 from play store this morning and I get to the final step for me to be sent an activation code by SMS to the correct last 4 digits of my mobile number but I am not receiving any SMS so I still cannot access my account

Ohmeha wrote: »
    Hi Tara, as advised in my earlier post I have repeatedly re-downloaded version 2.6.2 from play store this morning and I get to the final step for me to be sent an activation code by SMS to the correct last 4 digits of my mobile number but I am not receiving any SMS so I still cannot access my account
    Hi Ohmeha,

Sincere apologies we missed your comment regarding not receiving the SMS. For help with this please call our Mobile App Team on 0818200362 and they will get this sorted for you.

Thanks
    Tara

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Hi all,

Thanks
    Tara
    Would you mind telling us how to install the latest version. According to Play store the app was last updated on the 5/5/2021.
    I have no later updates than that and definitely none on teh 6/5/2021. This is just silly on a Friday afternoon leading into a weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭ongarite

I fixed the white screen issue by deleting and reinstalling the app.

• Advertisement

Would you mind telling us how to install the latest version. According to Play store the app was last updated on the 5/5/2021.
    I have no later updates than that and definitely none on teh 6/5/2021. This is just silly on a Friday afternoon leading into a weekend.
    Hi Hellrazer,

If you can please check the version to ensure you have V2.6.2 as this should be the most up to date one listed in the Play Store.

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you can please check the version to ensure you have V2.6.2 as this should be the most up to date one listed in the Play Store.

Thanks
    Tara
    Multiple people are telling you that the problem is precisely because we have the latest version. 2.6.2 is dated May 5th and was pushed out on the Play Store late yesterday (May 6th). On my Android phone and tablet it caused me to end up with a white screen. As of 13:45 today 2.6.2 is still the latest version.

I fixed it on my phone by uninstalling and reinstalling. Clearly the latest update was not tested properly. And I realise that your instructions are to tell people to phone that number but all they ever tell you to do is uninstall and reinstall, regardless of what the problem is.

Hi all,

Thanks
    Tara
    I fixed it on mine by uninstalling the app and re-installing. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Aisling

Hi Coylemj,

Thanks for getting back to us here on Boards.ie.

If you have deleted and reinstalled the app and you are still facing the same difficulties, it would be necessary to all our Support Team on 0818 200 362. One of my colleagues will be more than happy to help you with this.

Thanks, Aisling

• Registered Users Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭Tow

I also have the white screen problem with the mobile app.  It is still possible to log on to the website,  when the phone gets the login on approval notification, quickly swipe to accept it.  You should be allowed on to the website and a few seconds later the phone app will crash.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Megan

Tow wrote: »
    I also have the white screen problem with the mobile app.  It is still possible to log on to the website,  when the phone gets the login on approval notification, quickly swipe to accept it.  You should be allowed on to the website and a few seconds later the phone app will crash.
    Good morning Tow,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here today on Boards.ie. 

I am sorry to hear you're having difficulty with the mobile app. If you delete and reinstall the app, this should resolve the difficulty you are having. 

I hope this information helps and I apologise for any inconvenience. 

Many thanks,
    Megan

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭terenurebob

Hi Hellrazer,

Thanks
    Tara

Hi, I am getting the same white screen issue. Version is 2.6.2

• Registered Users Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

May I suggest firing your developers. A team of monkeys hammering away at a keyboard for hours would do a better job. I'm sick of this at this stage, it's 2021 and I've to visit a branch to see my balance and then I've to figure out a way to pay my rent today that doesn't include using the app...which is basically impossible.

Thanks for nothing as usual Bank Of Ireland. I'll await your standard reply in 3-5 business days. Sort your **** out, this is unacceptable. 

OP here.

If anyone else is having this problem, the only solution is to uninstall and reinstall.

Even if they updated the app, your version is now nobbled and won't work without a reinstall. So don't wait for an update, there's none coming - none that will fix this problem at any rate.

After reinstalling, you need to clean up your device list. Open the app, go into 'Profile' by clicking the head icon in the top-right corner then tap the 'My security devices'. You will see your phone or tablet listed twice and you need to delete the old one, that will be the one which does not have 'This device' against it. Tap the box showing the old device and remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭terenurebob

Reinstall resolved the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

coylemj wrote: »
    OP here.

If anyone else is having this problem, the only solution is to uninstall and reinstall.

Even if they updated the app, your version is now nobbled and won't work without a reinstall. So don't wait for an update, there's none coming - none that will fix this problem at any rate.

After reinstalling, you need to clean up your device list. Open the app, go into 'Profile' by clicking the head icon in the top-right corner then tap the 'My security devices'. You will see your phone or tablet listed twice and you need to delete the old one, that will be the one which does not have 'This device' against it. Tap the box showing the old device and remove it.

That's all well and good but imagine an older person having to do this, bank closures everywhere, older people are driven to use the app... Which is useless. BOI need to do more.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,480 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

The BOI app has always been a piece of sh!t. Random security token errors and white screens. As someone said, it's 2021. How hard is it to make an app work? I'm all glad we have to pay our €6 fee for NOT being able to access our accounts. Absolute bullsh!t

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭dirtyden

I have tried deleting and reinstalling the app. I am not getting the SMS activation code.

The BOI technology is incredibly buggy, it does not inspire confidence.

Hi Hellrazer,

Thanks
    Tara

Hi, I am getting the same white screen issue. Version is 2.6.2
    Hi terenurebob, 

Thanks for getting in touch with us here.

I am sorry that you were having difficulty with the app. This has since been resolved and if you delete and reinstall the app it should be back up and running for you.

Many thanks,
    Megan

dirtyden wrote: »
    I have tried deleting and reinstalling the app. I am not getting the SMS activation code.

The BOI technology is incredibly buggy, it does not inspire confidence.
    Good morning,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.ie

I am sorry to hear this. If you are having difficulty registering on the app, please contact our customer service team on 0818365365 or 0035314044000. One of my colleagues will be happy to help.

Many thanks,
    Megan

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Crimsonred

Hi terenurebob, 

I am sorry that you were having difficulty with the app. This has since been resolved and if you delete and reinstall the app it should be back up and running for you.

Many thanks,
    Megan

Still not sorted, on the mobile app the reinstall process fails once you get to part where you key in the authentication code.

"That code doesn't look right, please try again" is the message that keeps coming up when I enter the SMS code.

Hi terenurebob, 

Many thanks,
    Megan
    I'm the OP, I started this thread.

The problem has not been 'resolved' if your 'solution' is to uninstall and reinstall. It simply means that your developers or the company which maintains the app screwed up and didn't test the update properly. Or at all. I applied the update to my phone and tablet and both of them went to a white screen when I ran the updated app. There is simply no excuse for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I just want to register my complete agreement with those complaining about this entire app and website ****show, both in this thread and the one about the website. This sort of incompetence is unacceptable. Being able to access your money and do stuff with it is the fundamental reason banks exist in the first place. Get your act together.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Deleted and now I am also having problems getting bank on and me bank card won't let me tap either
    More issues. Possibly the worst bank in ireland and its leading me to sign up with ulster bank today because of this
    Absolutely sick of the way customers are treated by them and its online ways are atrocious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Also worth noting since Friday I've sent 5 messages to 50365 with user
    And nothing been sent. A shambles of a bank who treats their customers like dirt and always has!!

Advertisement