Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tracing electrical cable in the wall

• 07-05-2021 9:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I want to try and figure out the routing of some cables in my house. It's an old house so electrics were added later and probably at different times. I can't for the life of me figure out where one of them is coming from.There's a short to ground fault on that circuit so it's disconnected from the mains so AC detection won't work. Would the regular metal detection function of stud finder be of any help?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blackbox

My experience is that stud finders are not great for this but you might be lucky.

Cables in walls are supposed to be routed vertically to sockets (from above or below).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭McHardcore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭xckjoo

blackbox wrote: »
    My experience is that stud finders are not great for this but you might be lucky.

Cables in walls are supposed to be routed vertically to sockets (from above or below).

I think they actually are routed vertically from above but the wiring is all hidden behind the wall (the only room in the house like that since it's an extension) so can't see how it's getting in/out of the room. I'd say I'll need to get new cabling run but unless I can figure out the old routing (and assuming it's possible/easy to retrace it), I'm going to need to get some new holes drilled in my house. Plus it's annoying me that I can't figure it out :D

McHardcore wrote: »
    Thanks. Hadn't come across these before. I'll do some reading on them. Might be worth the investment since it probably won't be the last time something like this happens!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭meercat

If you take the socket off,can you see where the wavin runs(up,down or horizontal)
    It could also be fed from behind
    Wouldn’t bother with a detector

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭xckjoo

meercat wrote: »
    If you take the socket off,can you see where the wavin runs(up,down or horizontal)
    It could also be fed from behind
    Wouldn’t bother with a detector

They look like they're running up. To be honest the main thing I'm interested in is how it's getting into the room since it's an extension so has to get out of the original building and into the extension. I'm going to see if I can trace it from the main board first to see if that sheds some light on things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

xckjoo wrote: »
    They look like they're running up. To be honest the main thing I'm interested in is how it's getting into the room since it's an extension so has to get out of the original building and into the extension. I'm going to see if I can trace it from the main board first to see if that sheds some light on things

Most likely up into ceiling and brought through the wall between old and new part....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭meercat

xckjoo wrote: »

Look for loose floorboards in the bedrooms upstairs beside the extension

Advertisement