Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Character limit for Payee reference

Options
  • 07-05-2021 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hello,

I'm trying to add a payee that has a required reference that's longer than 25 characters. I tried adding it through BOI online and from Android, but I can't enter more than 25 characters. My transfer won't go through if I don't enter the correct reference.

Is there a way to add a longer reference or what's the reason for this short character limit?

Thanks,
    Ian

Comments

Here's someone that had exactly the same problem

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2058127568

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

nerohome wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm trying to add a payee that has a required reference that's longer than 25 characters. I tried adding it through BOI online and from Android, but I can't enter more than 25 characters. My transfer won't go through if I don't enter the correct reference.

Is there a way to add a longer reference or what's the reason for this short character limit?

Thanks,
    Ian
    Hi Ian, 

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.ie

We would suggest checking with the payee if they can amend it to a shorter reference or if it is okay for you include the reference in the Remittance field which will accept more characters. 

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 7,382 ✭✭✭Tow

nerohome wrote: »

Not with BOI's legacy systems. It is a pity they have spent 1.4bn so far updating them, but have not fixed basic limitations on field length and character set. The actual (ISO 20022) limit on the Reference (End To End ID) field is 35 characters.

If you have an account with another back you should be able to enter the required reference.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Advertisement