Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Job offer

Options
  • 07-05-2021 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭

Wondering if someone can advise.

A role came up in my organization and I was approached to go for it as my skills are exactly what they were looking for.

On the application it asked current salary ( not that it made a difference as they already knew) and expected salary which I put in as 5k more than I knew what they were offering for the role as upon research this was the going rate for this role

Did interview, got offered the job on the salary I knew they would offer, I replied back and advised I put X amount in salary expectations and this is what I was hoping/expecting(hoping they would come up even 2k)

The reply back was this is a promotion and the offer is 17% more than what im currently on, usually they only offer 10%. it also is inline with pay band within the company etc...

2 things annoy me.

My current salary should mean nothing.
    I kind of got snotty on the call advising my current salary should not be taken into consideration, if I was going for the CEO role would I only get 10% more.

Am I right in saying if I go for an interview for a totally different role, this is not a promotion right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If it's a more senior position within the company that is even remotely related to the job you currently do (i.e. you're not moving from Facilities to Finance or something), then it's fair to say that it's a promotion.

In which case your current salary is relevant - provided that the salary on offer is in line with other employees at that level of seniority.

Don't cut off your nose to spite your face here. You're being offered a new job with a 17% pay increase. They have other people they can offer the job to if you decide to dig your heels in.

To answer your rhetorical question - if you were being offered the CEO job, you would be offered a salary in line with what your company pays the CEO, and not a number that you demanded. And it would be called a promotion to CEO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭fitzparker

seamus wrote: »
    If it's a more senior position within the company that is even remotely related to the job you currently do (i.e. you're not moving from Facilities to Finance or something), then it's fair to say that it's a promotion.

In which case your current salary is relevant - provided that the salary on offer is in line with other employees at that level of seniority.

Don't cut off your nose to spite your face here. You're being offered a new job with a 17% pay increase. They have other people they can offer the job to if you decide to dig your heels in.

To answer your rhetorical question - if you were being offered the CEO job, you would be offered a salary in line with what your company pays the CEO, and not a number that you demanded. And it would be called a promotion to CEO.

Thanks Seamus, yeah I understand 17% is a good jump.

Although I knew what the offer would be (before I got it) I guess i'm just getting the hump as I didn't even get a bit more than that or somewhat close to asking, especially after being "earmarked" for the role, it was a straight shut off as my salary jumped so high,

I also know that part of me taking this is my role is being outsourced as soon as I take it, so im kind of caught now, If I dont take it ill be redundant in id say 12 months anyway, as they know it can be done cheaper elsewhere.

Anyway, I tried I failed, bright side is a new role with higher salary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Heard of this in a multi national that does the same with % increases.

I'd take the gig, get the experience and then go get another job, take it from someone who stayed in one company too long, loyalty won't get you the big bucks.

Also have heard of people moving up, then elsewhere, then back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Thanks, Yes that's the plan now, my job has been reduced from 4 to just myself yet wage never increased ( so the writing was on the wall for current role, i'm just not ready to take redundancy just yet)

the salary offered in the new role is really the salary I should be on for doing 3 others jobs!

but ill take it as a plus that I'm now getting the money I wanted but also gaining experience in another field.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

fitzparker wrote: »
    Am I right in saying if I go for an interview for a totally different role, this is not a promotion right?

Is it a promotion though?

Is your new job title better or generally considered to be a "better" job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

fitzparker wrote: »
    Wondering if someone can advise.

A role came up in my organization and I was approached to go for it as my skills are exactly what they were looking for.

On the application it asked current salary ( not that it made a difference as they already knew) and expected salary which I put in as 5k more than I knew what they were offering for the role as upon research this was the going rate for this role

Did interview, got offered the job on the salary I knew they would offer, I replied back and advised I put X amount in salary expectations and this is what I was hoping/expecting(hoping they would come up even 2k)

The reply back was this is a promotion and the offer is 17% more than what im currently on, usually they only offer 10%. it also is inline with pay band within the company etc...

2 things annoy me.

My current salary should mean nothing.
    I kind of got snotty on the call advising my current salary should not be taken into consideration, if I was going for the CEO role would I only get 10% more.

You say that you asked for €5k expecting €2k, so how far from €2k is the 17% increase?

In most companies an internal promotion or role change will be based on your current salary and grade. The only way to get an increase not based on your salary is in a different company or if you left and are being rehired.

Advertisement