Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acceptable topics

Options
  • 07-05-2021 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

I post this with due regard for the mods who must adjudicate on these things, but I feel the issue needs airing. None of us would condone aggressive or inappropriate behaviour by colleagues in the course of their work but it seems to me that there are plenty of forums on boards and elsewhere - not to mention appropriate remedies - for parents or students who have grievances.

There are precious few places where teachers have a legitimate expectation that we can discuss our issues among ourselves in a supportive context.

Does anyone else agree with me that this is not the forum for 'What can I do about nasty teacher?' and should there be a clear and unambiguous policy in that regard?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

linguist wrote: »
    I post this with due regard for the mods who must adjudicate on these things, but I feel the issue needs airing. None of us would condone aggressive or inappropriate behaviour by colleagues in the course of their work but it seems to me that there are plenty of forums on boards and elsewhere - not to mention appropriate remedies - for parents or students who have grievances.

There are precious few places where teachers have a legitimate expectation that we can discuss our issues among ourselves in a supportive context.

Does anyone else agree with me that this is not the forum for 'What can I do about nasty teacher?' and should there be a clear and unambiguous policy in that regard?

I think there is an element across boards where teachers are seen as fair game and the usual hols , pay , lazy teachers and rabid anti teacher unions often developing into thinly veiled personal abuse is allowed continue unchecked. I really don’t think it would be tolerated if it was any other profession and if you raise a concern it’s not given any credence what so ever. I would like a forum where teachers could discuss issues with out any of that raising it’s head. I think the teaching and resource forum is as close as it gets to that.
    Having said that I felt the OP of that particular thread was quite reasonable in his / her responses. Sometimes parents are at a loss and need advice on how best to raise an issue.

ETA - caught up on the last few pages and while I do think the OP was reasonable in their response the thread did start to derail before being closed. Perhaps there is merit in having a clear understanding of what topics can and can not be posted in this forum. Though to be fair to the mods it was closed quickly when it did veer off topic.

Advertisement