Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rodent proofing compost bin - armor required

Options
  • 07-05-2021 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭

Have to share these images of chewed though compost bin.
    They were originally digging from underneath so I placed wire mesh on inside and that stopped that.

But now they are so persistent the are chewing through the plastic at the hatch and bin very badly damaged.

Now I am wrapping outside in wire mesh and must secure a bit better.

Have tried trap inside and outside bin. Also tried live catching inside but no joy. Have live-catch outside at the moment. They have me well beaten.

Been looking for rodent proof bin (rather than tumblr) but no joy. If someone did a concrete version like a pip stood up it would be the job!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I'm sure this isn't the answer you want to hear but stop putting stuff the little b4stards are after and they won't do that.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

I'm sure this isn't the answer you want to hear but stop putting stuff the little b4stards are after and they won't do that.

If it can't take uncooked kitchen peelings... what's the point of having one?

These things should be robust enough. Just warning anyone considering one that they require armour!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

49801 wrote: »
    If it can't take uncooked kitchen peelings... what's the point of having one?

These things should be robust enough. Just warning anyone considering one that they require armour!!!

Thats fair enough but some people also put meat scraps and cooked food leftovers in them and thats when the rats form an orderly queue spending night and day getting access your your compost.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You need a cat.

Not joking; when I moved here there was a rat infestation in the grounds. I have cats. Three weeks later? Several dead bodies ( including one huge grandad rat) and years on never a sign of a rodent.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,047 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Those compost bins are just a novelty item. Ideally you need a large tumbler composter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,683 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

There must be something attracting them. I've had those bins for decades and never any rodents near them despite being in a rural area. Either there's something being put in the bin that shouldn't be or you have a pest problem that really needs addressing,

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    There must be something attracting them. I've had those bins for decades and never any rodents near them despite being in a rural area. Either there's something being put in the bin that shouldn't be or you have a pest problem that really needs addressing,

Only uncooked vegetables peelings and leftover fruit, tea leaves, egg shells. Never ever anything cooked, processed or meat.

There is cats around though not our own.
    Location is outside a village. Semi rural.

The mistake I believe is that they got nice and comfortable in there before I put mesh in bottom. So determined to get back in!

So warning anyone thinking of one to put mesh in bottom first day and protect the hatch.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    I've had rats in my plastic compost bin, enclosed garden, neighbourhood full of cats, nothing but vegetable peelings and garden waste put in the bin but found a rat in it when I moved it.

I think it can be warm and dry so they're not necessarily even using it as a source of food.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,683 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I've had rats in my plastic compost bin, enclosed garden, neighbourhood full of cats, nothing but vegetable peelings and garden waste put in the bin but found a rat in it when I moved it.

I think it can be warm and dry so they're not necessarily even using it as a source of food.

Too dry perhaps. It shouldn't be dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

How about a steel barrel or oil drum with small drainage holes drilled in the bottom and a hatch cut in the top? I use plastic barrels as I found that the open bottom models are an open opportunity for rodents.

Also, I have made friends with several cats, feeding them at the same time each day right beside my compost bin with a fistful of cat food in a dish which I then take away.

And finally I sited my barrels out in the middle of the 'garden' so there is no cover rodents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

How about an oil drum, with small holes for drainage? I use plastic barrels with a hatch cut in the top.

No entry since I did this. Wrapped in mesh and cable tied at back. Used ground pegs to pin mesh to ground. Plus stones on top.

Cute article not going near live trap in the front or the traditional trap at the back.

I’d strongly recommend anyone putting one of these in that they mesh the bottom and shield the hatch or any opening from chewing first day.

In fairness you’d hardly notice the mesh from any distance so not unattractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

49801 wrote: »
    No entry since I did this. Wrapped in mesh and cable tied at back. Used ground pegs to pin mesh to ground. Plus stones on top.

Cute article not going near live trap in the front or the traditional trap at the back.

I’d strongly recommend anyone putting one of these in that they mesh the bottom and shield the hatch or any opening from chewing first day.

In fairness you’d hardly notice the mesh from any distance so not unattractive.
    It's best to leave the compost at least partially uncovered, so that, while nice and warm, it's too damp for the rats to make a home.

Although I am very careful about what goes into the compost, we did have rats in it, but then, we also had rats getting into the attic and polytunnel. The problem went away when we got rid of our birdfeeders and laid poison in the attic and polytunnel..

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Bilbo65

I had a problem with rats in the standard plastic composter like yours. Living near open fields. I was very strict with what was put into the composter. I put a mesh underneath but they ate right through the plastic at the access doors. So I gave up and bought a Joraform Little Pig rotating composter from Quickcrop.ie and that was the end of the rat problem. Two chambers alternating, each one takes about 2 months to process so I have a load of freshly made compost every month. Looks good too so you can set it up anywhere in the garden.

Advertisement