Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this too much for tiling?!

Options
  • 07-05-2021 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, I'm new to all this stuff so hoping to get others opinions as to a quote I got from a tiler. I'm trying to get other quotes to compare but everyone else is booked out for months it seems (so I may just end up paying this even if it's crazy!) Tiler quoted me over €2600 to tile a 41yd sq kitchen floor, a small bathroom and ensuite floor (5 and 4 yd sq respectively) and the two shower areas only. That cost doesnt include the tiles, and it turns out he also wants me to buy the grout and adhesive from the tile place, and get the tiles delivered. His price includes tanking etc but it's a new build so there is no digging up old floors or evening surfaces to be done. He was a bit too cool with measuring up and was surprised that I wouldn't be able to return any unused tiles. He told me I could have a box and a half left of the kitchen tiles but "it's hard to know". I tried to get him to make a fair call on things,I don't want to run out of course but also don't want to spend a hundred euro on a box of tiles that will sit in a press for the next ten years.

I cant tell if it's reasonable or not? As I said, I may not have a choice but to pay it as the alternative is to pay another month's rent waiting for another tiler to be free. But if he's a chancer I'd like to know!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭scwazrh

€40 a Sqm ex vat is the rate for tiling at the moment

Most shops will take back leftover tiles (so long as they're unopened, unused, etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭enricoh

Get a roll of lino n wait a few months!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭SteM

Be careful, I think a shop charged a mate of mine a restocking fee when he returned unused tiles. It was on the docket when he bought them but he didn't read it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lir0123

Most shops will take back leftover tiles (so long as they're unopened, unused, etc.)

Unfortunately Tubs n Tiles are clear they don't accept returns :(

• Advertisement

enricoh wrote: »
    Get a roll of lino n wait a few months!

😂

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

If he’s good, sign him up and get him at it. Sooner finished the better, and these guys have loads of work at the moment in most areas, so they’re not that freely available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

scwazrh wrote: »
    €40 a Sqm ex vat is the rate for tiling at the moment

Is it same rate for walls? Would €25 per sq m cover ''middle of the road' or medium quality tiles plus grout and adhesive?

Lir0123 wrote: »
    Unfortunately Tubs n Tiles are clear they don't accept returns :(

Buy elsewhere, then. That's nonsense and shouldn't be supported. It's no hassle for a shop to take some tiles or laminate flooring or such back.

That said, you should hold onto a few spare tiles anyway, if you have them, incase you ever need to replace one.

Buy elsewhere, then. That's nonsense and shouldn't be supported. It's no hassle for a shop to take some tiles or laminate flooring or such back.

That said, you should hold onto a few spare tiles anyway, if you have them, incase you ever need to replace one.

I know, it's a pain! They had the nicest stuff though and I can't be arsed going through picking everything out all over again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

For removing existing tiles and retiling a 22 sqm kitchen floor and an 18sqm ensuite (floors and walls) I was quoted 1800 + vat for labour, adhesive and grout.

Kitchen was 800 and ensuite was 1000. Guess there was more cuts in the ensuite despite being smaller.

I was to supply tiles, tiler would supply the rest.

I think your quote is reasonable if he's a good tiler I'd jump on it if you have the cash.

Advertisement