Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 or 5 Year Fixed

• 08-05-2021 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Myself and my partner are getting a mortage at the moment. We've been offered 2.5% 3 years and 2.55% 5 year fixed. Both have 2% cashback. They seem like great rates and the difference in monthly repayments is negligible.

My question is in the current climate would fixing for 5 years be the sensible play for additional security or would fixing for 3 years and availing of another cashback option after the fixed term ends be better?

I know it's a little playing nostradamus but my worry is that with banks pulling out the fixed rates will rise over the next few years and we would regret not spending the extra 2 years on the 2.55%.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Q&A

Things to consider:

5 retail banks will soon become 3 - this might impact future competition and rates. Might also impact cashback offers.

Future interest rates might also go up. Or they might not

Just because you lock in for 3/5 years doesn't mean you can't switch before the fix is up. Risk of a break fee but the potential is still there.

It doesn't have to be an either/or option you can split the mortgage between the 2 if you want.

It's all a roll of the dice but before taking that gamble first way up how sensitive your finances would be if you went for 3 years and rates moved unfavourably. The larger the mortgage to income the more I'd be inclined to lock in peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Trekky77

Q&A wrote: »
    Things to consider:

5 retail banks will soon become 3 - this might impact future competition and rates. Might also impact cashback offers.

Future interest rates might also go up. Or they might not

Just because you lock in for 3/5 years doesn't mean you can't switch before the fix is up. Risk of a break fee but the potential is still there.

It doesn't have to be an either/or option you can split the mortgage between the 2 if you want.

It's all a roll of the dice but before taking that gamble first way up how sensitive your finances would be if you went for 3 years and rates moved unfavourably. The larger the mortgage to income the more I'd be inclined to lock in peace of mind.

Thanks a million. Yeah it's quite a difficult thing to predict and I suppose everyone is in a different boat. Perhaps the 5 will be the way to go and if there is a significant drop then break out if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

now you have a 20 year option and decent rates too. But they also allow you move the rate if you move house
    https://www.financeireland.ie/products/residential-mortgages/mortgage-rates/

Advertisement