Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice with build problem

Options
  • 08-05-2021 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I built my first gaming PC and Im having problems. I have tried all the debugging I can, and I'm hoping someone can give me advice,

We built the PC a few weeks ago. It’s based on a AMD Ryzen 5 3600 processor.

It started but shut down within 2/3 minutes. It booted and got as far as starting to install windows from an USB drive. I tried this a number of times.

I realised that I had not added a CPU cooler , so the CPU was overheating.

I have now installed a CPU cooler, but now the PC is powering down after 30 seconds and immediately powering back up again. This just keeps repeating, consistently in a 30 second cycle.

When it powers up, the fans run and the LEDs come on but no sounds and nothing on the monitor.

I have checked the 24 pin and 8 pin power connectors and as far as I can see , there are no problems.
    I have removed everything except the 2 power connectors and the power switch
    I have done it with and without the CPU cooler.
    I have looked for any obvious signs of damage on the CPU or PSB.

Its the same every time.

I'd appreciate any advice on whether this is evidence that the CPU is damaged, or is there anything I can do to debug the problem further.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,635 ✭✭✭Inviere

huskerdu wrote: »
    Hi,
    I built my first gaming PC and Im having problems. I have tried all the debugging I can, and I'm hoping someone can give me advice,

We built the PC a few weeks ago. It’s based on a AMD Ryzen 5 3600 processor.

It started but shut down within 2/3 minutes. It booted and got as far as starting to install windows from an USB drive. I tried this a number of times.

I realised that I had not added a CPU cooler , so the CPU was overheating.

I have now installed a CPU cooler, but now the PC is powering down after 30 seconds and immediately powering back up again. This just keeps repeating, consistently in a 30 second cycle.

When it powers up, the fans run and the LEDs come on but no sounds and nothing on the monitor.

I have checked the 24 pin and 8 pin power connectors and as far as I can see , there are no problems.
    I have removed everything except the 2 power connectors and the power switch
    I have done it with and without the CPU cooler.
    I have looked for any obvious signs of damage on the CPU or PSB.

Its the same every time.

I'd appreciate any advice on whether this is evidence that the CPU is damaged, or is there anything I can do to debug the problem further.

Have you installed a gpu?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

Unless the motherboard has some sort of debug leds or a connection for a beeper/speaker I don't think there's anything you can do to get any debugging type info out of it.

I'd suggest trying to reset the CMOS. The motherboard manual will tell you exactly how to do it on your board (probably use a jumper or remove the coin-cell battery for some time).

You need a stick of ram and the graphics card connected as well as the power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Thanks.
    Yes, I have the GPU and RAM installed . I've tried all the RAM slots.
    The GPU card fan is coming on, so its powered up.

No luck with the CMOS reset

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I wonder could you have damaged a PSU rail, do you have another PSU you can try?

Vicxas wrote: »
    I wonder could you have damaged a PSU rail, do you have another PSU you can try?

Thanks . I dont have any spares of any of the component. i have a multimeter so Im going to have to see of i check the power outputs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Some boards take a series of reboot cycles to first set memory timings, Asus boards for example. How long did you leave it go through the reboot cycles?

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

If you had forgotten to put a "cooler" on your cpu when you first build the system..is their a chance you did not use thermal paste on the cpu before you mounted the cooler?..and what cooler did you get for your cpu?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

How do you forget to install a cpu cooler?

I assume you have connected your monitor to the back of the gpu and not the motherboard connections?

Do you have windows installed on a drive yet? If it's not installed yet it would do this cycling if that was the case.

Yes, I was using the GPU monitor output.

Thanks for all the advice.

Striped it all back and rebuilt it and All is working now .

Thanks to everyone who replied

Advertisement